PDA

View Full Version : Is the Poker Stars bonus worth it for an SnG'er?

dfscott
05-05-2005, 02:23 PM
In case you haven't heard, PS is doing a reload bonus (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2321634&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1&vc=1): 20% up to $120. Based on the way their bonus earnout structure works, this would mean that I could play 60 $20 SnGs and PS would pay my vig.

My question is whether or not this is a good deal, since I've never played a PS SnG (except for a few shots before I really knew what I was doing). I'm thinking it would probably be a good experience since I would be learning how to play with a larger stack as well as just a nice change of pace.

However, I'm worried what it might do to my earnings. I've never played anything other than 5+0.50s and Turbo 6+0.50s and they seemed a lot slower than Party as well. And I really have no idea how tough the games are (I was thinking about either the 22s or the Turbo 27s). I'd hate to play a bunch and end up negative (although if I learned something, I probably wouldn't mind breaking even).

Can someone give me a little insight into the Poker Stars SnG world?

Freudian
05-05-2005, 02:25 PM
I do reload bonuses for one main reason (moneywise I might as well play SnGs), to keep my ring games somewhat in good shape. Also its pretty good mulitabling training, with more decisions than when multitabling SnGs.

edit: forgot. This one will give me over 1500 FPP, so I can order SSH.

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Just divide everything (stacks, blinds, etc.) by two in your head and pretend you're on Party. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, I don't see how it can be much different once you get past the very first level, but i don't play on Party, so I don't know. On Levels 1 and 2 at Stars, you can open-limp with any pocket pair from any position and hope to create a limpfest and spike a set - that's one major difference. The Turbos take 40-45 minutes or so. I don't play the regular ones, but I'm pretty sure the average one would be over an hour.

dfscott
05-05-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do reload bonuses for one main reason (moneywise I might as well play SnGs), to keep my ring games somewhat in good shape. Also its pretty good mulitabling training, with more decisions than when multitabling SnGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're suggesting that I'd be better off playing a cash game?

curtains
05-05-2005, 02:30 PM
dfscott its a good deal. Just deposit and wait for the day that you play there. I think I have 3 uncleared bonuses on Stars but I know that someday I'll get paid on them.

Freudian
05-05-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So you're suggesting that I'd be better off playing a cash game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you play high limit SnGs I think it would take quite a while to clear the bonus using that. Last time I played a stars SnG it took 90 minutes.

Of course the bonus is pretty slow to clear using ring tables also, but a long day at 1/2 should do it.

dfscott
05-05-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dfscott its a good deal. Just deposit and wait for the day that you play there. I think I have 3 uncleared bonuses on Stars but I know that someday I'll get paid on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right, they never expire, do they? I forgot about that. I haven't played on PS since I was using WLLH strategy to beat the .25/.50 limit game.

Nottom
05-05-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreeed, Pstars bonuses last forever I think. I like to play MTTs from time to time and heads-up SNGs when I'm feeling frisky. No reason not to have a bonus waiting for me.

Phil Van Sexton
05-05-2005, 02:34 PM
I have no insight. I cashed out of PS like 4 months ago, then chose last night to put some money back in....and today they announce a bonus. Bastards.

I'm sure I'm better off spending my time on party than grinding out this crappy bonus, but it still annoys me for some reason.

curtains
Cool just noticed Im 20 FPPs away from a $150 bonus!!!

Scuba Chuck
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played on PS since I was using WLLH strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the WLLH strategy? Can you provide a link?

Nottom
05-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Winning Low Lomit Hold'Em by Lee Jones.

Freudian
05-05-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played on PS since I was using WLLH strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the WLLH strategy? Can you provide a link?

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning low limit hold'em by Lee Jones. Weak-tight strategy.

PocketJokers
05-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I 4 tabled the regular 22s at stars, my average time at the table for a first or second place finish was about 85 minutes. As for differences in stategy, you need to be a solid post-flop player. Typically on the bubble you'll be looking at blinds of 150-300 give or take with an average stack of about 3300. IMHO, the 22s there are tougher than the 22s on party but, you can afford to make a mistake or two and not completely cripple your stack so ROI and ITM should be a bit higher.

The4Aces
05-05-2005, 07:35 PM
for a low limit SNGer that have the 6+.5 Turbos. basically they pay you a vig of $.1 if you are clearing a bonus.