PDA

View Full Version : Overlap (originally on BEGINNERS)

Rosencrantz1
05-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Trying this here:

Hey guys. Wasn't sure exactly which forum to post this in, but I figured this was a good shot.

I've been working on my limit game fairly seriously for the last few months with good success. After working through WLLH I moved on to GSIH, unlearned some of my weakness from WLLH and my limit game seems solid. I've tripled my BR playing limit games on-line and feel like, even on losing sessions, that I'm playing solidly.

I would now like to add SnG/MTT to my playing. I've played a bit on line with moderate success -- finished ITM on a Freeroll tourney (2400 starters) and have had a reasonable (~25% ITM) run with SnGs. However, I know that my NL Tourney game is weak.

I've just picked up HoH and am working through it. It's making a lot of sense, but I haven't really gotten that far in it yet.

My question (see? I got there eventually) is how much of my limit knowledge is directly useful in my new NL game? For instance, I've spent a decent amount of time with GSIH's starting hand recommendations and am really having good success using those as a guideline in my limit game. Likewise I'm really getting better with my value betting, protecting my hand, etc.

Will these skills -- more importantly, how I've learned to apply them in my limit game -- be useful to me as I move into more NL tournies?

n.b. - I don't have any interest or intention at this point in playing NL cash games.

jacks321
05-05-2005, 02:08 PM
The basic skills you develop learning limit, like understanding outs, pot odds, etc. are invaluable. That said, SnGs play much different from typical limit ring games, and there's a lot to adjust to. The nice thing if you have a good foundation is that it's much easier to build on it and hit the ground running. Concepts like choosing the pot odds to give and that sort of thing come much easier. Your best bet is probably to read a lot of the old threads on this forum. It covers just about every possible aspect of SNG play and there's a lot of smart folks here.

GtrHtr
05-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Read HOH a couple of times. As suggested, read through the forum here for play advice. Check this thread out Thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=215 0895&Forum=f22&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1 918735&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=30065&datera nge=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=& bodyprev=#Post2150895) and you should be on your way. IMO, better SnG play will make you a better MTT player when combined with your limit skills. There are differences between SnGs and MTTs that you can eventually figure out by reviewing the MTT forum as well and searching for some of the more detailed posts by players like MLG, ZeeJustin, 2005 etc.

How about helping me out with my limit game? PM me if you'd like.

GTR

hummusx
05-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is GSIH? I haven't seen that acronym, which might make sense if it's geared towards limit play (I pretty much live exclusively in the STT world, with very occasional forays into MTT and NL cash).

jacks321
05-05-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm not totally sure, but I'm guessing it's Ed Miller's new book, Getting Started in Holdem.

GtrHtr
05-05-2005, 04:06 PM
That's it!

dfscott
05-05-2005, 05:48 PM
I played limit online for about a year before moving to SnGs. As another poster said, the basics (pot odds, outs, protecting hands, etc.) will carry over, but a lot of the other stuff will not. Starting hands, playing draws, blind play, limping vs. raising, bluff, etc., are all very different.

The approach that worked for me is to forget everything and treat it as a new game. Of course, you really can't forget everything, and that's ok since the basics are still important, but watch out that your limit habits don't creep in. If you tended to be weak/tight at limit, SnGs will be hard for you. If you were overly aggressive (yours truly), it will come more naturally.