PDA

View Full Version : Question to you new posters

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 01:37 PM
There are a lot of new names on here over the past 6 weeks that I don't recognize.

If you have registered recently, within the last 8 weeks or less, or you are now starting to post for the first time, I'd be interested to know a few things, just for curiosity sake.

1) What's your status in life? (college, work, age)
2) How did you learn of 2+2?

SuitedSixes
05-05-2005, 01:48 PM
1) I post on 2+2 for a living. I am 32.
2) From the back of "Internet Texas Hold 'Em" by Matthew Hilger.

Unarmed
05-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Don't do it. Scuba is a stalker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW Scuba, you need a hot chick for your avatar. I suggest Melyssa Ford.

Sam T.
05-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi Chuck,

I'm not sure if I qualify as new, but close counts. (I spent a lot of time here starting about a year ago, when Jason Strasser was doing a lot of posting. So I'm not new, but I'm new to you.)

Anyway:
1) I'm a '91 grad from a small liberal arts college in California, did four years in the Army (3rd Infantry - Rock of the Marne!). I got out in '95 went back to school for my doctorate, and now teach history at a small liberal arts college in Ohio.

2) I think 2+2 is mentioned in Lee Jones's book on low-limit hold 'em, and I lurked on that board for a few months before I started playing/posting.

Pleased to meet you,

Sam

xPuns1her
05-05-2005, 01:52 PM
1)student
2)from a freind

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW Scuba, you need a hot chick for your avatar. I suggest Melyssa Ford.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a picture in mind, once I spend the time to figure out how to do an avatar.

I wasn't expecting this to be a intro to the people I know, but just so you know a little about me...

1) 31, work for a major Wall St firm in MN
2) Read about it first in Hilger's book, finally checked out 2+2 after reading Alan Schoonmacher's book, POP.

Unarmed
05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) 31, work for a major Wall St firm in MN

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. 27, buy-side equity research analyst for a large investment management co. in Toronto. Oh BTW, just go to "My Home" and edit personal information. The avatar section is near the bottom.

meff66
05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
ooh a quiz!!

1) 38, mainframe programmer, wasted college degree
2) web search (poker forum - flaming newbies.....j/k, made up the last part)

3?) just celebrated 2 year anniversary on-line gambling with my daughter's future inheritance. calling pokerstars 12&35 6seater sngs home at the moment...

TStokes
05-05-2005, 02:04 PM
1) I Just finished my second year of college.
2) Someone on another poker forum mentioned 2+2 and I have never looked back.

Misfire
05-05-2005, 02:09 PM
1) 26, financial analyst, consultant, writer, part-time rockstar /images/graemlins/cool.gif
2) From an actuary friend who thinks Sklansky is the 2nd coming of Christ.

Rosencrantz1
05-05-2005, 02:11 PM
1) 34 year-old working actor in NYC
2) I think I linked to it off a poker blog I had found

2planka
05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm not new, but I've been playing mostly limit ring games and MTT's for the past year or so.

I'm 32, hold a Masters degree in Philosophy, and work for a medical device manufacturer (high end imaging equipment).

The first poker book I read was HPFAP /images/graemlins/grin.gif excellent marketing by 2+2, by the way. I was a total idiot but I still thought I was "advanced."

snap
05-05-2005, 02:20 PM
19 years old, heard about it from buddy of mine (Apathy, who's a luckbox)when I started to 'actually' study the game.

BradleyT
05-05-2005, 02:22 PM
1) 31 (this sunday), web programmer.
2) First post was in 1998, have no idea how I found the site...think it was a link on Dan Kimbergs old website GoCee.com/poker. Ahh back when TiltBoys used to have the best trip reports ever.

John Hurst
1) Degrees from West Point and University of Texas. Financial Analyst in Dallas. Tied for 872 in Bluff Magazine's Player Rankings. But I guarantee you the other 871 people have either played more tournies or are just luckboxes. 28.
Bluff Ranking (http://www.bluffmagazine.com/playerBIOs.asp?playerID=1320&pagecolor=FFFFFF)
2) From the back cover of one of the 2+2 Books.

ripped
Well as you can see from my join date I have been here for a while.

I'm 30, sngs are my job and a friend pointed me to 2+2 ages ago.

dfscott
05-05-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW Scuba, you need a hot chick for your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

GtrHtr
05-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Scuba,

I thought you'd never ask. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

1. Infantry Officer and airborne ranger extraordinaire
2. I googled it baby "poker forum"

introv
05-05-2005, 02:35 PM
1) 32, software development.
2) From TPFAP

Been lurking for a while but just starting to post. Been fun watching, time to join in /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Rosie, you from MN?

There was a decathalete from St Thomas U who should be about your age with your name.

GtrHtr
05-05-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the shady British TV comedy used car salesman avatar.

wuwei
05-05-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rosie, you from MN?

There was a decathalete from St Thomas U who should be about your age with your name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you going by his username?

I'm guessing Shakespeare fan over decathlete.

jacks321
05-05-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm a 24 year old web developer from NYC. I first learned about 2+2 from paging through SSH in a bookstore.

Sam T.
05-05-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Scuba,

[/ QUOTE ]

Infantry - *guffaw* - All thinking military men know that Field Artillerty is The King of Battle.

(Jk. I spent three years as an Infantry company FSO, and after a while stopped thinking of myself as Artillery. When it came time to get promoted to 1LT, I had my Infantry Battallion commander do the honors. Man was my FA commander pissed.)

Hooah,

Sam

John Hurst
05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Odd that we have so many former Army in the forum. Were you guys ever stationed at Hood? I was a Signal Corps geek. You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us.

GtrHtr
05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Scuba,

[/ QUOTE ]

Infantry - *guffaw* - All thinking military men know that Field Artillerty is The King of Battle.

(Jk. I spent three years as an Infantry company FSO, and after a while stopped thinking of myself as Artillery. When it came time to get promoted to 1LT, I had my Infantry Battallion commander do the honors. Man was my FA commander pissed.)

Hooah,

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the life of an FSO. The bad part: never really know who your boss is. The good part: You always tell one boss you're going to be doing some "work" with the other while you engage in LT's nap time.

GtrHtr
05-05-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Odd that we have so many former Army in the forum. Were you guys ever stationed at Hood? I was a Signal Corps geek. You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Signal runs the Army in this digital age. Hood? Hell no. I've spent most of my career at Bragg, Bragg, Bragg and oh yea, Bragg. I am still waiting to become former Army /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tech
05-05-2005, 02:56 PM
I am 29. I found 2+2 from a Sklansky book, HEFAP I think. I am in the process of transitioning to life as a pro gambler, which for me involves sports betting and poker.

Sam T.
05-05-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, the life of an FSO. The bad part: never really know who your boss is. The good part: You always tell one boss you're going to be doing some "work" with the other while you engage in LT's nap time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there's a man who pays attention! "Hey, Sir, I'm going down to Bravo Company for the afternoon."

In answer to the Signal poster, my unit was in Germany, and we deployed to Kuwait (after the war) and then Macedonia with the UN.

Sam

beeyjay
05-05-2005, 02:59 PM
1. im 22, graduating from madison in december. im also currently running the f over and just sucked out hard on nottom who i think posts here.
2. i guess about 2 years ago on the back of hold em for adv players and i just rarely lurked. then this summer i started lurking in earnest and as ive played more and more hours 8 tabling since november coming here keeps me sane and so i post more.

GtrHtr
05-05-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now there's a man who pays attention! "Hey, Sir, I'm going down to Bravo Company for the afternoon."

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes for a pretty good poka player as well...

Rosencrantz1
05-05-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rosie, you from MN?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you going by his username?

I'm guessing Shakespeare fan over decathlete.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not from MN, not a decathlete (although I'm doing my second sprint-distance triathlon in 6 weeks). Just a Shakespeare fan, as guessed. Actor. Shakespeare. Go figure.

JP Rocks
05-05-2005, 03:20 PM
1) 23, Environmental Engineer, 2 years out of university, live in New Zealand. Currently drowning in work which is really hampering my sng development... I should talk to the boss.
2) Luck

fluorescenthippo
05-05-2005, 03:39 PM
20, College student.

heard about 2+2 from a friend

ZeeGigabot
05-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Attorney, 27, Learned about 2+2 from a friend. I mainly stick to 30+3 sng's so some of you may have seen me on there going on super-hyperdrive crack head tilt.

zambonidrivr
05-05-2005, 03:58 PM
30, statistics & behavior sciences
Heard of 2+2 in my HOH book

DasLeben
05-05-2005, 04:01 PM
1. I fly planes n'stuff, and graduate college in 2 days. I'm 21.
2. I don't remember.

barry111
05-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Hey Scuba,
1) I will be 34 on the 23rd of may, software programmer
2) I am a RGP defector could not stand it anymore.
3) You knocked me out of my first 2+2 tourney, I will be back for more someday

flyby4553
05-05-2005, 04:14 PM
1) High school senior soon to be graduate

2) Honestly I don't remember. I think I sort of stumbled across it accidently some time last year, but theres a chance I found it when I ordered Theory of Poker.

GtrHtr
05-05-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Scuba,
1) I will be 34 on the 23rd of may, software programmer
2) I am a RGP defector could not stand it anymore.
3) You knocked me out of my first 2+2 tourney, I will be back for more someday

[/ QUOTE ]

never admit that Scuba knocked you out of anything.

Noel Montgomery
05-05-2005, 04:16 PM
1. 26-yr-old producer
2. Harrington on Hold-em

john_
05-05-2005, 04:22 PM
1) Student(of poker)
2) Some poker room gossip somewhere...

ChrisCo
05-05-2005, 04:34 PM
1.Senior in High school getting ready to head to college(Cal Poly)

2.Father introduced me when I first started playing. I have learned everything I know from this forum. I would be a fish playing 10+1 SNG's if it weren't for everyone here.

wh1t3bread
05-05-2005, 04:42 PM
1) I'm 24 and I work as a Database Administrator.
2) I heard about 2+2 from a friend and former roomate who posts on here by the name of Tyler Durden (No Fat Chicks).

sahala
05-05-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) What's your status in life? (college, work, age)

[/ QUOTE ]

26. Graduated from college in 2k. Working now (software dev/user interface)

[ QUOTE ]

2) How did you learn of 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some guy I worked with was browsing this fantastically cluttered, poorly designed, and ugly web-site. Then I read some content and it stuck.

tomdemaine
05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
1) 20 year old Uni student from the UK
2) From a link in the article which can no longer be mentioned apparently. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dfscott
05-05-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. I fly planes n'stuff,

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you fly? In my former life (prior to kids), I owned a small cessna and used to tool around all over the southeast US.

On clear, cool spring days, I really miss it...

astarck
05-05-2005, 04:49 PM
1. Student
2. Not sure really. I used to read other forums and somehow ended up here.

Also, I'm more of a reader than a poster.

Phoenix1010
05-05-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm 21, in between college terms, and playing poker to get by.

I learned about 2+2 from some poker buddies, and registered a few months ago. I recently decided to start posting more often, for various reasons.

DasLeben
05-05-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. I fly planes n'stuff,

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you fly? In my former life (prior to kids), I owned a small cessna and used to tool around all over the southeast US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, cool to see another pilot on the board!

Anyways, I primarily fly C172s and Piper Seminoles, though I have experience in other aircraft. Unfortunately I don't fly much, since I'm just an unemployed CFI/CFII/MEI (I refuse to work for $18k/yr with the responsibility that comes with the job). I still intend on flying for a career, but only after building my hours on the side while actually making a decent living with some other full-time job.

What kind of Cessna did you own?

bix
05-05-2005, 05:04 PM
1) college student, personal trainer, 23
2) from one of sklanskys books

DonCaspero
05-05-2005, 05:06 PM
1. 27, masters degree in biotechnology (protein biophysics) in a few months. Will be playing my first live tour (other than home games with friend) in the WSOP ME this year.
To top it off I have a pregnant girlfriend and a cat - both blonde

2. Been on 2+2 a while, but not really posting much. Found it 3-4 years ago on an internet search for poker knowledge. I had lost 2/3 of my initial winnings - figured I might have been doing something wrong.....turns out I was /images/graemlins/grin.gif

started out with NL/PL 4 years ago, then learned the game from the beginning - limit style. Just recently turned my interest to sngs, and doing pretty well already /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dfscott
05-05-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. I fly planes n'stuff,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyways, I primarily fly C172s and Piper Seminoles, though I have experience in other aircraft. Unfortunately I don't fly much, since I'm just an unemployed CFI/CFII/MEI (I refuse to work for $18k/yr with the responsibility that comes with the job). I still intend on flying for a career, but only after building my hours on the side while actually making a decent living with some other full-time job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a 1972 182 I shared with a buddy. I learned in 172s and the difference between a 172 and a 182 is amazing. I could pack it full of crap and it still lept off the runway.

I never got past SEL-I (I flew into KAVL a lot, so the instrument rating was essential). I was working on my CFI when I had my first son (who got more flight hours during his first year than most people). After that, the time and money commitment was just too much. My medical and ticket both have lapsed, but one of these days I'll get current again.

Newt_Buggs
05-05-2005, 05:27 PM
1. 2nd year undergrad at UC San Diego
2. Sklansky's book

I'de also encourage all of the regulars who have been on here for a while to introduce themselves to us newbies.

HighestCard
05-05-2005, 05:33 PM
18, college student at Texas A&M. I leared about 2+2 from a friend. Havent read any books on poker, pretty much self taught, i mostly play SnG's and have made 7 times my initial investment in a few months.

gh9801
05-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I started posting inconsistently a few months ago, not sure if that counts me as new. I guess it does

1. College student at UCLA, 18 years old
2. Been following 2+2 for over a year now - the site was on the back of sklansky's book

mlee
05-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Age 43, Microsoft Certified Trainer

Heard of 2+2 thru some of their books. I have been reading here for a few months and have learned a lot. Thanks for all your great posts.

luckyplayer
05-05-2005, 05:52 PM
2nd Year PhD Student in Systems Engineering

Randomly chose TOP (the word THEORY sucked me in) as first poker book to read. Quickly bought Super System a few weeks later, but eventually decided to give the website a looksy. Been hooked ever since. Plan on becoming a regular poster in the near future.

trotski
05-05-2005, 06:02 PM
25, Graduated from UNLV in 2001.
RGP convert, found out about 2+2 from a buddy I work with.
2+2 has helped my game exponentially since I joined. I cannot express enough gratitude to these forums...awesome.

jgunnip
05-05-2005, 06:08 PM
1) 20 yr old college student at the University of Michigan who works 30 hrs a week

2) I bought HPFAP about a year ago, was directed to the site. Only over the past two months have I relly started reading posts here daily.

I don't post much because usually somebody has already said the same thing as I would or in many instances I simply don't feel qualified to answer and enjoy hearing others' responses much more.

VoraciousReader
05-05-2005, 06:10 PM
1) I work in the insurance industry. Fascinating to me, boring beyond words to most. (B.A. in Political Science and Ethics...qualified for...nothing.) However, people do attempt to lie to me frequently, so it's a good background to bring to poker. I'm 30.

2) I decided I wanted to improve my poker, did some research, ordered 3 books from Amazon.com, and, lo and behold, they all had the 2+2 logo on the back cover.

Misfire
05-05-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 32, hold a Masters degree in Philosophy, and work for a medical device manufacturer

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.

MSUcougar
05-05-2005, 06:48 PM
I've been around for a few months but never responded to a thread like this, so...

1. I just turned 23, I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering from Montana State University (04). For the past year I've worked in the Utility Industry, although next month I will be starting a new job as a civilian engineer for the Department of Defense, and purchasing my first house.

2. I've been playing poker recreationally for a couple years and seriously for about 6 months. I learned of 2+2 through discussion at another forum.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Degen
05-05-2005, 06:52 PM
I feel old but it says i've only been reg'd for ~6 wks, so i guess i'll respond

1) 24, '03 college grad, did a year in corporate sales then started a marketing firm with a college buddy. Now semi-retired and looking for new ventures with the company on auto-pilot.

2) I used to incessantly post SNG questions on RGP and finally somebody sent me an email saying that that was about the worst place i could be looking-she gave me a link to come here.

Andre
EDIT: I finally gave in to the 'hot chic avatar' craze /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BDarch
05-05-2005, 07:10 PM
1. I'm 18 and in college
2. I think I found it while searching for advice on sit and go's and I'm sure glad I found this place

gasgod
05-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Recently retired (Compressed gas industry, hence the name.)

Just surfing, probably Google.

GG

yoadrians
05-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Gotta' wife, kid, a full-time job and a house in the 'burbs.

Heard about the site from another trout after we became friends at work and discovered our mutual interest in poker ... that was about 10 months ago.

Benfica
05-05-2005, 07:37 PM
1) 28, Married, 1 year old son, owner of a business
management firm.

2) Playboy - not really.

BTW, I'm a tasty salmon right now, hope to become one of the sharks sometime soon.

The Yugoslavian
05-05-2005, 07:40 PM
1) 24. Graduated from Carleton College in '03 majoring in Philosophy. At the moment I work in advertising for Campbell Mithun (top 25 agency) on Verizon Wireless (top 1 wireless phone company). I'm 'The Yugoslavian' b/c I look like Peja (David Schwimmer to Dali, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif). I used to play chess (at a low level) before poker hooked me. Now I have no life and have been getting the shakes this week as I've sworn off poker for a bit.

2) I'm not really sure how I stumbled onto 2+2, /images/graemlins/confused.gif. What I can remember is I was playing limit ring before I read a couple of Eastbay's posts in this forum....that apparently was all it took for me to play STTs and then realize they were a bajillion times more fun...

Yugoslav

valenzuela
05-05-2005, 07:59 PM
1)Im 16, Im chilean and my two passions are poker and sports. Sadly my body is not prepared for sports so I watch them on TV, it was a more than a year ago when I saw Farha playing poker. Since everyone has degress Ill add my FCE ( first certificate on english)with honours from the Cambridge University.
2)You got me here, I dont remember but it was a link from some webpage.

zipppy
05-05-2005, 08:01 PM
1) I'm 24, and I graduated in '03 from Luther College with degrees in CS and Math. I now work at a major law firm in MN. (scuba, do you work downtown minneapolis?)

2) one of my friends got me into posting.

treeofwisdom7
05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
well im a bad poker player.. lol so i lose money
and im just working full time 22years in hawaii. and i learned of 2+2 from the books ,
i play at ub under this name.. have a good one

flo
05-05-2005, 08:17 PM
I am 24, almost Bachelor of Computer Science and currently (and hopefully in the future as well) working for a large telecommunication company in Germany.
I read about 2+2 on the back of Hold'em Poker, but didn't follow the forum until a friend ordered me to do so :>
I am bothering you guys here because i started off in ring games but tournaments are much more entertaining (imho).

Unparagoned
05-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I've been posting every once in a while since the beginning of the year, but annh, whatever.

I'm 21 (soon to be 22) and I am finishing my senior year at Denison University. I will be graduating with a BA in philosophy and going to work in Madison, Wisconsin for a healthcare software company. Since I have been to Wisconsin only once before for the interview...it'll be something of an adventure /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I found out about 2+2 after spending quite a bit of time searching for materials that talked about poker because I found that most of the books I was finding to read were really just telling me things I already knew (thanks for letting me know AA, KK, QQ and AK are good hands...). So yeah, I found this site and thought it was pretty sweet, hence I stuck around.

Unparagoned
05-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Hmmm, Carleton eh? Did you play Ultimate there? Also, what was your USCF rating before switching over to poker? I haven't played much chess since high school, but I think I was at 1550 or so.

Unparagoned
05-05-2005, 08:29 PM
I'd just like to point out that Wittenberg sucks!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

psyduck
05-05-2005, 08:45 PM
1) Senior doubling in Computer Science and Applied Math. 18 years old. I'm not working right now, but I was previously interning at Intel. I'm going to take this summer off and play poker.
2) From another forum (stairs in your house?)

microbet
05-05-2005, 08:45 PM
I posted one of these a while back. I guess every kind of post comes up every once in a while. I'm not new in the last 6 weeks, but Yugo answered and he sure isn't.

1. 37yo - 2 tasmanian devils, er, I mean kids - UC Berkeley Math and English - For $ I do housing development, consulting, loans, brokering, web development, computer programming, poker and a couple other things. I'm not a career man.

2. I heard friends mention it a long time ago. When I started playing online I surfed around a lot of places and this is the place that stuck.

Nicok7
05-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey I am French, 22 year old student in Business and trying to make poker my life, step by step (not as in the steps right?). So far it's working all right, I started 8 month ago from not knowing if the flush bet the straight, and slowly increased a 20$ bankroll. I am now 2 tabling the 33s in general), let's hope I can do as well on higher/more tables at a time!

I came accross 2+2 randomly via google, I had a suspition that the internet pros would be communicating... on the internet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So thanks for the people posting useful advice on this board! Hopefully I will never make a bad beat post, and it's probably too late for the tiny sample question (that's for when I move up limits, wait until I have 20 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )
Any other frogs on 2+2?$

Messy_Jesse
05-05-2005, 09:14 PM
New since December.
1) 19 yr-old college student at Brown
2) a friend who got me into online poker over Thanksgiving referred me.

the shadow
05-05-2005, 09:21 PM
1. 45, corporate trial attorney. Played poker on and off since H.S. Have a poker chip holder that my grandfather carved when he was a boy. Also have his copy of Yardley's Confessions of a Poker Player.
2. Found 2+2 when I googled "Greg Raymer." Found this forum when I started browsing the site. Read a LOT of posts before my own 1st post.

The Shadow

Apathy
05-05-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
19 years old, heard about it from buddy of mine (Apathy, who's a luckbox)when I started to 'actually' study the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll luckbox you...

iMsoLucky0
05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
1) I'm a strugglying roulette and craps professional.

2) I found 2+2 trying to find a fool-proof roulette system. Still looking.

zipppy
05-05-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2) I found 2+2 trying to find a fool-proof roulette system. Still looking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You too? I have a love/hate relationship with probability.

Supersetoy
05-05-2005, 09:31 PM
1) Just graduated from University of Washington. Currently working as an Applications Analyst. Just turned 23 last month.

2) Learned about 2+2 from posters on bonuswhores.com. Learned about whoring from a conversation at a B&M.

hedgeyerbets
05-05-2005, 09:34 PM
1. Just about to graduate from that school with the really good basketball team that everyone seems to hate, starting up next month at as a quant at a hedge fund.
2. I really don't remember. Lurked on and off for over a year.

Page Jacobson
05-05-2005, 09:50 PM
1)retired school teacher, 58
2)surfing conjelco

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
....that apparently was all it took for me to play STTs and then realize they were a bajillion times more fun...

[/ QUOTE ]

So why haven't you been able to pass off this infinite wisdom off to Grekehaus?

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(scuba, do you work downtown minneapolis?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, Bloomington, but I live in south Minneapolis.

wuuwei works downtown Minneapolis though. Look him up, we had lunch together once at Kincaids.

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 10:09 PM
what exactly is a quant?

The Yugoslavian
05-05-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....that apparently was all it took for me to play STTs and then realize they were a bajillion times more fun...

[/ QUOTE ]

So why haven't you been able to pass off this infinite wisdom off to Grekehaus?

[/ QUOTE ]

Turns out he's just a complete moran....although I do have him playing limit STTs while he grades. Apparently he likes to do something even more boring while he's grading, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav
PS Since this thread is about us sort of....I have a cool 'story': my former boss in Minneapolis' last name was Moran....*very* fitting, /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif.
PPS Is it bad to send him that 'Moran' pic??? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SuitedPair
05-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Registered a while ago, but have mostly lurked.

33, analyst/trader/asst. portfolio manager for a mutual fund.

through google

mojolang
05-06-2005, 12:19 AM
University of MN, go to school with schneids, 21/

Learned of years ago when I was a starting player.

shayneon
05-06-2005, 12:30 AM
33, BBA Economics, Accountant

Phil Gordon's book was the first poker book I read, pretty basic, but definately +EV since it led me here (Thanks Phil!) - Lurked for 6 months, read a few 2+2 books, then registered.

Scuba Chuck
05-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Yugo, how pissed would you be if your Minneapolis based employer transferred your ass back to Minnesota?

Scuba Chuck
05-06-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
University of MN, go to school with schneids, 21/

[/ QUOTE ]

So is BK part of your group of buds? How often do you get together and play?

The Yugoslavian
05-06-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yugo, how pissed would you be if your Minneapolis based employer transferred your ass back to Minnesota?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd come find your ass in bloomington and beat you up, /images/graemlins/grin.gif...

I'm sure that would make me feel better, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Naw...the office out here wouldn't dream of that....I like do work and stuff...they dig that, /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Yugoslav

The Yugoslavian
05-06-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, Carleton eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup....on the real, homey.

[ QUOTE ]

Did you play Ultimate there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a lick...we have/had/will have an amazing team though. I played intramural bball mainly.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, what was your USCF rating before switching over to poker?

[/ QUOTE ]
~1800...bit below perhaps. I basically played in like one tournament every year since my freshman year in highschool. My college team my senior year won the MidWest Amateur Team Tournament...we lost to CalTech in the Semis....right during our finals....it was f*ckin rigged man. Three of our boards (including me) went undefeated in that tourney (other two won all their games...I accepted a draw in a won position b/c it gave us the win for the round).

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't played much chess since high school, but I think I was at 1550 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid I guess....I dunno, I never paid much attention to them ratings.

I just got high and played, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav

dhende3
05-06-2005, 01:09 AM
20, Student, Economics Major.
Have been playing SnGs (11s and 22s) semi professionally since November (maybe 5k net profits with bonus whoring 50 NL on empire and party before i knew about rakeback).

Found out through other websites which i found through google.

Testament to the % of people who actually make money in online poker... A lot of my friends in college who I play with live have put like 200 in an account, lost it all and gave up, thus contributing to the profits of the general winning population. They don't believe i have made 5k in online poker.

wuwei
05-06-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Solid I guess....I dunno, I never paid much attention to them ratings.

I just got high and played, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like your typical Carleton pink commie hippie /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hippies! Hippies all around me. Say they want to save the earth, all they do is smoke pot and smell bad!

dfscott
05-06-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: I finally gave in to the 'hot chic avatar' craze /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, baby!

imported_etojim
05-06-2005, 01:31 AM
45, physician

via google

dfscott
05-06-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I posted one of these a while back. I guess every kind of post comes up every once in a while. I'm not new in the last 6 weeks, but Yugo answered and he sure isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

1. 42 (thanks, Shadow, for keeping me from being the grayest of the graybeards). Two kids, about a year's worth of on-line poker under my belt (mostly limit). Computer Programmer turned manager/executive (what a mistake that was).

2. Not sure how I found this place -- probably google, but I really can't remember.

Slim Pickens
05-06-2005, 03:28 AM
I can't remember if I answered this before...

1) 26, graduate student at Berkeley. I'm moving to Las Vegas in two weeks to work on shoving nuclear waste under Nevada for my PhD. I hear the Wynn will be deserted pretty soon. Maybe we can put it there.

2) the back of HEPFAP I think

JKetzer
05-06-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. I fly planes n'stuff,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a 1972 182 I shared with a buddy. I learned in 172s and the difference between a 172 and a 182 is amazing. I could pack it full of crap and it still lept off the runway.

I never got past SEL-I (I flew into KAVL a lot, so the instrument rating was essential). I was working on my CFI when I had my first son (who got more flight hours during his first year than most people). After that, the time and money commitment was just too much. My medical and ticket both have lapsed, but one of these days I'll get current again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't expect I'd see anyone else here who flew, heh, nice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm 18, about to graduate from high school, then heading off to Purdue as a professional flight major... job market being what it is currently, though, I think I'm going to switch to ATC. I've currently got a hundred and ten hours and an instrument ticket, almost entirely in 172's.

Leben, where do you fly? I'm still in PA for the summer until I move out to Indiana.

-- Discovered 2+2 from Small Stakes Hold'em.

McBandit
05-06-2005, 04:19 AM
1.) I am 26 years old. I completed a MSc in Virology in 2003, and am in my 2nd year of medical school.

2.) I used to post a bit years ago (1999-2000ish) when I was a B&M low-limit junky under "smallfry". I think I found the site from one of the 2+2 books.

McBandit

FatalError
05-06-2005, 05:11 AM
21 Year old senior in college, playing for a living part time until graduation in august found out about 2+2 from RGP

kevstreet
05-06-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tilt
05-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Been posting a while to the SSNL forum but have recently switched to mostly tourney poker.

I'm 35, a financial planner to the very rich, and fill most of Irie's background prerequisites for success. All except that natural born poker player one....

I found 2+2 with google when I was looking for help for my game.

tminus
05-06-2005, 09:37 AM
two words:

roger manning

hedgeyerbets
05-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Not always the same (in the same way that asking "What is a poker player?" would not always yield the same answer). Usually, though, it's a person who designs mathematical models to try to locate mispricings in the market.

tminus
05-06-2005, 02:42 PM
1. Im 33. I used to work the software industry but just recently returned to school or another degree in graphi design

2. a good friend from this site referred me, made me promise to keep it a secret first though

RedRum
05-06-2005, 02:50 PM
27, GaTech grad (CS), software industry
Sklansky's books

Drink More,
RedRum

pokerlaw
05-06-2005, 03:00 PM
25, graduating law student. playing poker to make the last year more interesting, and loving it.

found 2+2 via a google search for "poker prophecy" of all things...

tminus
05-06-2005, 03:07 PM
you know whats funny about this? like yourself Im also in school and you'd think that we would pick a more relaxing hobby considering how stressful school is. But instead he choose poker which is a bit stressful. I play at least an hour everyday and find that it takes my mind off of everything.

tminus
05-06-2005, 03:07 PM
you know whats funny about this? like yourself Im also in school and you'd think that we would pick a more relaxing hobby considering how stressful school is. But instead we choose poker which is a bit stressful. I play at least an hour everyday and find that it takes my mind off of everything.

backlash
05-06-2005, 03:11 PM
1) 37 yr. old IT Manager for Accounting firm. Married w/ kids.

2) RGP (what a wasteland)

dfoote
05-06-2005, 03:37 PM
1) 36, attorney for a CO ski town

2) looking for books and finding SSHE

shejk
05-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm not that new either, but I for sure haven't introduced myself.

I'm a swedish medical student (first term, I'm 20), currently playing the 109s at party.

I found twoplustwo a bit over a year ago after buying theory of poker.

brad the fish
05-06-2005, 05:31 PM
1- 31yo Software Engineer
2- From the back of TOP

Scuba Chuck
05-06-2005, 05:32 PM
do you play on pokerstars?

spiney
05-06-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm 23, medical student. I usually play 22 - 55 SNGs.

I found out about this forum from this article:
Click Here (http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,1537,00.html)

pokerlaw
05-06-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you play on pokerstars?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to under the name "metfan630" with the team logo as my symbol. I am on UB right now as "shotofjack".

The Student
05-07-2005, 01:29 AM
hey scuba, thanks for starting the thread. very interesting to hear about where everyone else is coming from.

i'm 28, and a grad of uc berkeley and columbia, and i've been moving back and forth between cali and NYC the past few years. just moved back to san francisco a few months ago and started posting more now that i'm underemployed again. i manage public health programs, mainly internationally, and all of them are sexual health programs.

i was lurking on 2+2 for about 6 months before i posted, but that was mainly in the small stakes limit and MTT forums. just moved over to SNGs in the past few months. but between looking for a new job, consulting work, and planning a wedding (i'm getting married in about 9 weeks), reading this forum helps to keep my head clear at times.

see you all around,

ts-

Scuba Chuck
05-07-2005, 01:36 AM
So it seems, everyone who posted here is likely.

A)Between the ages of 20-36
B)Learned of 2+2 from a book, friend, or internet search
C)Has no clue on how to play Pai Gow

The Student
05-07-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. 45, corporate trial attorney.

[/ QUOTE ]
we should have figured this from your excellent evidence collection techniques as demonstrated in your first post.

[ QUOTE ]
Also have his copy of Yardley's Confessions of a Poker Player.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's great. i've got my grandfather's chip holder (bought, not carved, but still cool) too. yardley's book was one of the first books i read to pique my interest in the game. my future father-in-law, who has been playing in a regular game for 30+ years (they even have a trophy that gets engraved with the winningest player's name every year like the stanley cup), cites this as his favorite book.
[ QUOTE ]
Read a LOT of posts before my own 1st post.

The Shadow

[/ QUOTE ]

and organized them meticulously as well. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ts -

astarck
05-07-2005, 01:43 AM
Couldn't have summed myself up any better.

RicP
05-07-2005, 01:43 AM
1) 38, Have done many things (including the Army) but I am currently the CTO of a cosmetic company.

2) Teamfu

wuwei
05-07-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wuuwei works downtown Minneapolis though. Look him up, we had lunch together once at Kincaids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, I work downtown... I haven't been showing up there much lately, but I'll probably get back to visiting the office this week. It may be the only way for me to get caught up on my sleep and my poker play!

Baked67
05-07-2005, 02:16 AM
I'm 21. I live with my fiance. I work full time at a hospital doing ER admissions work. I found out about 2+2 through google i beleive. This site has done wonders for my game. Between, TOP, HFAP, and Sklanky's tournament strategies and this site, my game has shot upward tremendously.

Degen
05-07-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I found out about this forum from this article:
Click Here

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow great article, thanks man.

Andre

REL18
05-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Not sure if i count as new i think i do im 18 going to ucla next semester
Heard about it really have no idea i think i was looking for free stuff about poker then found the site and feel in love. 38% roi at the 10+1 oh ya lol 483 sngs.

Jbrochu
05-07-2005, 12:41 PM
1) 36, project manager in biotech industry, nearly full-time student at Northeastern U

2) Learned of 2+2 from the back cover of HoH, which was the first poker book I bought when I decided to start playing this January.

I could not have gotten any luckier than stumbling across this forum and HoH before I had ever played a single hand of poker.

theredpill5
05-07-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm 45.

1) I work for a large Garbage collecting company
2) I read about it on another forum.

itsmesteve
05-07-2005, 01:08 PM
1. 26, College (round 2). Work as a waiter.

2. Found 2+2 via SSHE, been posting in micros/playing limit for ~ 6 months

Ogre
05-07-2005, 01:32 PM
1.student, poker, 15 (almost 16 /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)
2.from my brother (NLSoldier)

My first year post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2140406&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

microbet
05-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Wow. Even younger than Valuenzuela and in the $109s. Nice job. Raptor, you are an old man. holla.

valenzuela
05-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I asked u once, ill aks again where did u get the bankroll to play the $109s????????

microbet
05-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Take his link. It pretty much explains it.

Ogre
05-07-2005, 02:41 PM
well I won a MTT, that helped alot but I was very close to a 109 BR without winning it.

KingDan
05-07-2005, 02:50 PM
HS student who found this off a Sklansky book, I believe. I play 2/4 and the 20s.

valenzuela
05-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Wow cool , Im now on the $300 bankroll phase /images/graemlins/wink.gif

elonkra
05-07-2005, 05:13 PM
1. Just finished law school in Spring 2004. 28 years old. Landed a really good job at a local law firm. Unfortunately, I hate the practice of law.

2. Got seriously into poker my third year of school, started playing live games 2-4 times a week, finally got online sometime between graduation and the bar exam (GREAT IDEA!), found 2+2 using an online search engine (looking for a good poker messageboard).