PDA

View Full Version : not a dead beat

Bill Poker
05-05-2005, 12:37 PM
not result-oriented. I just want to check if my play is the right way. if not, how to play in this kind of situation? fold? I was about 70% before the flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t2110)
CO (t1270)
Button (t1240)
SB (t725)
BB (t1850)
UTG (t805)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2110 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t1550 (All-In).

Flop: (t4110) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t4110) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t4110) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4110

converter screwed up, BB had AJo, i guess he thought i was bullying the table.

snap
05-05-2005, 12:41 PM
I don't mind the play here. With your stack size and some short stacks still to act, its likely that they'll put you on a marginal hand trying to steal. I'm intrested to see how the hand ended.

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Easy all-in. You did fine.

zaphod
05-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Yes, good play.

I guess he had AJ.

Phil Van Sexton
05-05-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not a dead beat

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
not result-oriented

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is your first original thread, I think I'll give you a pass here.

Hopefully you'll realize how silly this post was in a few months.

hummusx
05-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Next time you post a hand like this, ie you think you made the right play but a worse hand ended up winning, I'd recommend that you cut out most of the hand history. Just post it like this:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (6 handed) converter

Hero (t2110)
CO (t1270)
Button (t1240)
SB (t725)
BB (t1850)
UTG (t805)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, A.
1 fold, Hero ??

Should I push or just raise 3xBB?

You'll get better responses. Posting it like you did will tend to have people dismiss it as a bad beat post or that you're only posting it because you lost (probably true). Besides all of that, it's easier to get honest feedback from people on what they would do in this situation if they don't know how it turned out.

To answer the original question, pushing here is fine. Sometimes I might make it 700 instead of pushing, just to mix my raises up, still intending to get all the chips in.

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I might make it 700 instead of pushing, just to mix my raises up, still intending to get all the chips in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bad too - then BB is kind of correct to call with 76s or JTo or a host of other hand like that. No need to get fancy at the end of these things - just play a solid endgame and you're fine. If you try to get fancy when the blinds get big, you're only hurting yourself.

Bill Poker
05-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all your replies. since i lost that pot, I was questioning myself if i made the right play. sorry if you were offended.

one more question, did BB make the right call? unless he thought i was on a steal, my allin bet from UTG+1 should be 88+/AQ+, he did not seem to have right odds to call.

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 01:15 PM
You should have a much wider range there than AQ+/88+, but regardless, his call was poor.

hummusx
05-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Calling with AJo was not a good move here. You should almost never be calling raises in his position. It's much better to just fold and then steal the blinds from someone else.

Bill Poker
05-05-2005, 01:20 PM
maybe it is a leak in my game, during the semi-bubble time (5 or 6 handed, with ~10BB), i sometimes fold hands worse than A9, small pair) from UTG/UTG+1.
[ QUOTE ]
You should have a much wider range there than AQ+/88+, but regardless, his call was poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i sometimes fold hands worse than A9, small pair) from UTG/UTG+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks and position are the main reason I said that range was too tight. It helps that the biggest stack (behind you) is in the BB, as if he was any shorter, he may have pot odds to call. It's rare you'll get a call from anyone if you push there given the situation, and if you do, it'll usually be from the SB - in which case you'll be getting about 1.5:1 on your money, and you'll still have a healthy stack if you lose. Just this one blind steal here puts you in real good shape to completely start running over the table as everyone else tries to hang on.

I'm pushing with a ton of hands in this exact spot (at least top third).

Bill Poker
05-05-2005, 05:24 PM
I second his thought.

ZeeJustin posted this in his 'A Not So Super Monday' report from 4/26. Is AQo UTG that much stronger than AJo UTG+2 to make it an autopush?

"I had 51k chips utg+2 when I found AJo. Blinds were 4k/8k, but I decided to fold this hand preflop and wait for a better oppurtunity. I am a big advocator of folding weak aces with short but not desperate stacks in EP in situations where a lot of people will feel forced to push them. Even though the blinds are right around the corner, there are better situations."

dfscott
05-05-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time you post a hand like this, ie you think you made the right play but a worse hand ended up winning, I'd recommend that you cut out most of the hand history. Just post it like this:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (6 handed) converter

Hero (t2110)
CO (t1270)
Button (t1240)
SB (t725)
BB (t1850)
UTG (t805)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, A.
1 fold, Hero ??

Should I push or just raise 3xBB?

You'll get better responses. Posting it like you did will tend to have people dismiss it as a bad beat post or that you're only posting it because you lost (probably true). Besides all of that, it's easier to get honest feedback from people on what they would do in this situation if they don't know how it turned out.

To answer the original question, pushing here is fine. Sometimes I might make it 700 instead of pushing, just to mix my raises up, still intending to get all the chips in.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you do want to show what you did, stop after your all-in bet. At that point, for you the hand is over. Your opponent's reaction and the board are all superfluous.