PDA

View Full Version : A problem I have

cianosheehan
05-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I was just thinking that I have a core fault in my game, and its something I am glad I have recognised as maybe from now on I can work to change it. I tend not to try and think what my opponent could have. I rarely spend time trying to make that decision, especially on the flop, and very often on the turn aswell.

Maybe this is because I am multi-tabling the $50 tables at Party, and it is more conveniant to just make presumptions based on the average player ability.

But rather than thinking "what does he have", I think "I will bet $x and see what happens". This of course means I am using my stack as an information gatherer, and not really thinking about the mechanics of the hand. It is more a judgement of strength, as in, I dont know what he has, or what he may have, but if I bet and he does X, then I know where I stand.

I also seem to take each betting stage as it comes, rather than think ahead.

My head is confused...its as if I am not sure how to player poker /images/graemlins/confused.gif .

Anyone else share these experiences? Any help/advise much appreciated.

-Cian

Publos Nemesis
05-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Seriously, get poker tracker and game time plus. Then play simple ABC poker at the $50s. Steal blinds from the tight players, and double up against the fishes when you hit your sets.

You should rarely find yourself in a tough spot at these tables. When you do, look at the guy's PT numbers.

That being said, every time you decide to play a hand you should have a strategy. Like, 3 limpers and you call in MP3 with 78s, you are thinking I want to hit two pair, a flush draw, or an outside straight draw. If you hit any of these, bet/raise to see where you are at. If you take it down on the flop all good. If people play back at you or call then you have further decisions to make, but they are similair to preflop, what kind of turn are you looking for? Bet when you hit or when a brick comes off (if no one has raised you yet).

Post flop play at these tables should be simple EV decisions. Count your outs and gauge your folding equity as well as your implied odds.

Maybe it isn't that simple, but I think this strategy should make at least 5 bets / 100 at the $50s.

Bukem_
05-05-2005, 04:41 PM
It might be an expensive lesson, but you should get better from it. Decide if its worth it for you first.

Try going to the 100 nl tables and just play one table.

Don't do anything to distract yourself. Concentrate on figuring out a range of hands at every point in the hand for the players on your immediate right and left to start. Then start adding other players.

The more time you spend critically thinking about every hand you observe, the more like second nature it should become when you multi, even if you only have an average read then.

If you don't feel comfortable after a few orbits don't keep playing, it will likely be too costly for you.

I used to only play limit online, I tried no limit a few times and really couldn't get a feel for it. Then I moved so I could play poker live, and took a shot at the no limit game. I was able to do well because I had time to think very critically about every thing, and the money was more important to me at the time.

Now I mostly play online only because its more profitable.