PDA

View Full Version : mike l. plays live no limit and loses his ass

mike l.
11-21-2002, 11:28 PM
here are some hands i played yesterday in a 9 handed no limit game with $3-$5 blinds and stacks ranging from $100 to $2000. this is the second time ive played live no limit and i havent played a lot online either really (just a little).

i have $300 stack and decide to raise to $40 with QJo in mid position and see what happens. im called by the guy on my left, the cutoff, the sb and, the bb. the flop is A64 or something like that. checked to me and i bet $50. the sb calls. the turn is a T. checked to me and i check. the river is a 2. checked to me and i bet $50. he calls w/ A9s.

on the very next hand i get ATo and decide that is now a raising hand since i will likely be called by hands like A9. so i raise to $40 and this time just the bb calls. he has about $2500 and i have about $150 or so left. the flop is T74 and he checks and i bet $70. he calls. the turn is an 8. he bets $80 putting me all in and i immediately call. the river is a 2 he says one pair proudly and shows QTo. he seems unhappy and surprised when i show my ATo.

a few other hands pass but nothing interesting. i win a few small pots, lose a few small pots, whatever. no one is playing particularly tight and no one is particularly dominant and super aggressive. but then again i dont know much about no limit so maybe this is all a disguise meant to fool me.

here's an embarassing hand (or is it?): i have T7s and i limp in the cutoff for $5 after some limpers. no one raises. 6 of us at least. the flop is 972 rainbow. checked to me and i bet $30. everyone folds except for the guy on my right, this guy ive played limit with before who i know can be quite tricky on a regular basis. the turn is a 6 and he bets $100. i call. the river is a 6 and he bets $50. i call. he shows 98s for top pair no kicker and wins. his river value bet really hurts my ego.

somewhere along the line i have like $400 and make this nice hand. i have 55 utg and crawl in for $5, so do 3 others and the blinds play too. the flop is T53 w/ two spades. checked to me and i bet $30, guy on my left makes it $100 to go, all fold, i make it $200, he calls.

the turn is 2d and i say "i waaaannnt (pause) to bet all my money". yeah real smooth. he calls anyways. the river is another 2 and i win. he doesnt show his hand. he sure seems irritated though.

then disaster strikes. i have $600 and AcKs in the cutoff and everyone folds to me so i raise to $30. the player in the sb w/ $2500 calls, bb folds. the flop is T64 w/ two spades. checked to me and i bet $30. he raises to $100. i decide he's on a spade draw or has a weak pair and call. the turn is Ac and he bets $500. isnt that a few too many chips? what does he expect me to call $500 with? i cant make sense of it and i commit the rest of my chips pretty quickly. the river is another 4. he has 64s for a full house.

later ive bought more chips and nothing exciting happens for awhile. i pick up JJ in the BB. utg miniraises to $15 and 6 people call including the sb. i just call. the flop is Tc4c4h. checked to me and i bet all in $125. grumbles from everyone. utg says "i have to call" and calls. everyone else folds. utg has QcJc and hits his flush on the river.

my last hand i have about $250. i get JJ in early position and openraise for $75. sb (guy i beat w/ 55 earlier) calls. heads up. the flop is KdTd3s. checked to me and i bet $100. he says i raise you all in. in retrospect it's obvious im beat so this is the most horrid call ever and put my last $80 in the pot. i show my hand right away but he waits till the river to slowroll his set of tens on me.

so yeah there ya go. comments on my horrid play (and everyone else's?) might amuse us for a little bit so speak up pals.

D.J.
11-22-2002, 12:22 AM
Live no limit hold-em is just beyond my thinking, I tried it a couple times and just basically got smoked. I can't really comment on your play b/c I don't know what good/bad moves are in NL. Where was this game at anyway?

-D.J.

11-22-2002, 12:30 AM
Instead of address specific moves that you should have/ should not have made, I'll throw out some thoughts on some general holes in your game. I have three points to make on two different hands.

Hand 1:
"i have $300 stack and decide to raise to $40 with QJo in mid position and see what happens. im called by the guy on my left, the cutoff, the sb and, the bb. the flop is A64 or something like that. checked to me and i bet $50. the sb calls. the turn is a T. checked to me and i check. the river is a 2. checked to me and i bet $50. he calls w/ A9s."

-There are times when popping with QJo in middle position is fine. This is not one of them. As a general rule:
1) don't pure bluff when there's an Ace on the board and it isn't heads up
2) never pure bluff with a stack that small against that many opponents

Hand 2:
"i have $600 and AcKs in the cutoff and everyone folds to me so i raise to $30. the player in the sb w/ $2500 calls, bb folds. the flop is T64 w/ two spades. checked to me and i bet $30. he raises to $100. i decide he's on a spade draw or has a weak pair and call. the turn is Ac and he bets $500. isnt that a few too many chips? what does he expect me to call $500 with? i cant make sense of it and i commit the rest of my chips pretty quickly. the river is another 4. he has 64s for a full house."
OK:
1) Almost never call with no hand. I think that some people here might disagree with me and say "never ever call with no hand." A call isn't even a bluff, and therefore has almost no value in this kind of situation. What's the best that you can hope for?? An A or K, obviously. If your opponent has a brain, it won't be hard to fold a loser when you spike on the turn. Conversely, if they have you beaten, they will have little trouble getting all of your chips in the middle. Remember, when you are in a NL hand, ALL of your chips are at risk.

Best of luck at future NL tables!

-Marlow
/forums/images/icons/spade.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif /forums/images/icons/club.gif /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

mike l.
11-22-2002, 12:48 AM
"Where was this game at anyway?"

it was a no limit game they run at players club in ventura, ca north of LA by an hour. every wednesday all day until 2am. i was warned not to play it, but i won $600 last year in that game and thought id be hot stuff and march in there and take some more money off the table. WRONG!

it's $200 minimum buy in 3/5 blinds, $5 per half hour and probably an excellent fairly passive weak game and very beatable if you are a very good no limit player. plenty of fishies like me looking to blow some money.

11-22-2002, 01:13 AM
Hey mike, where is this game being spread? thanks and good luck.

11-22-2002, 01:17 AM
i used to play this game i thought it was dead.

Zeno
11-22-2002, 01:25 AM
You have some holes in your game Mike. To aviod a lot of carnage you should read up on the no-limit game and remember that it is not at all like a limit game, not at all! You must tighten your play up considerably until you get a feel for the game; then spread your wings a bit. You are going about it in the opposite way. At least that is my opinion.

Maybe Fossilman and Mr. Zee will help all of us get you into playing shape and will provide more, and better details. At the moment, I have other battles that I am fighting. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif PLAY TIGHT and with a BIG STACK!

-Zeno

qwerty
11-22-2002, 07:56 AM
I have T7s and i limp in the cutoff for $5 after some limpers. no one raises. 6 of us at least. the flop is 972 rainbow. checked to me and i bet $30. everyone folds except for the guy on my right, this guy ive played limit with before who i know can be quite tricky on a regular basis. the turn is a 6 and he bets $100. i call. the river is a 6 and he bets $50. i call. he shows 98s for top pair no kicker and wins.

You seem to place a lot of faith (and $'s) in second pair, no kicker with 6 people seeing the flop. The pot is not very big, check fold.
Qwerty

FatLoser
11-22-2002, 12:46 PM