PDA

View Full Version : rock climbing

fsuplayer
05-05-2005, 11:43 AM
I made a post a while back about taking up mountain biking.

while looking into that, i went with a group of friends to a rock climbing gym and got hooked.

i actually look forward to doing that more than poker, which is great.

anybody else here climb at all?

tpir90036
05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
You should move to Vegas and do both. Two of my best friends from high school moved out their simply to be closer to crazy climbing places and totally love it. They have a whole crew that makes all sorts of trips to the surrounding states...and they do some card counting on the side too /images/graemlins/wink.gif I am trying to get them into poker.... but it's a tough sell for some reason.

Sponger15SB
05-05-2005, 11:52 AM
my roomate is the "best climber at UCSB", and last quarter he taught one of those zero credit classes on campus.

but yeah, I doubt you'll find many rock climbers here....maybe alobar? he does out door stuff like that

fsuplayer
05-05-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my roomate is the "best climber at UCSB"

[/ QUOTE ]

those guys are insane. incredible amount of strength. I have been doing it for just over a month and I have made some crazy gains in strength.

[ QUOTE ]
but yeah, I doubt you'll find many rock climbers here

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe. yeah, i figured id give it a shot though.

Boris
05-05-2005, 12:12 PM
I used to rock climb. but then i started playing poker and got fat and weak. sad but true.

fsuplayer
05-05-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should move to Vegas and do both. Two of my best friends from high school moved out their simply to be closer to crazy climbing places and totally love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

vegas, poker, and rockclimbing....hmmmm. ill have to talk to the gf. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i have been bouldering exclusively (w/o ropes, 12-15ft high), and am trying to find a place in or near vegas for a short day trip while i am there for the WSOP. PM me if your buddies know of any good places for that. thanks!

fsuplayer
05-05-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to rock climb. but then i started playing poker and got fat and weak. sad but true.

[/ QUOTE ]

replace fat with lazy, and thats what was slowly happening to me. i needed to find something active to do.

Sponger15SB
05-05-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
those guys are insane. incredible amount of strength. I have been doing it for just over a month and I have made some crazy gains in strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah he is totally nuts. During summer and winter breaks and stuff he drives up and down california camping out and climbing all day. Last summer he drove up to canada and stuff. I'll look at his rock climbing mags and see pictures of guys climbing 40 foot cliffs without harnesses and he acts like that is nothing and not scary. We just got a new rock climbing gym at UCSB at whenever he climbs the ultra crazy route the whole gym stops and watches him....

anyways on with the thread....

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 12:34 PM
There was a show on the Discovery Channel awhile back about this little blonde girl that grew up in Africa. When she was like 4 she started climbing the trees with the monkeys that lived around her house. When her parents finally moved back here, she took up rock climbing and like immediately beat the crap out of all the top competitive women climbers with no experience or training at all. Anyway they showed a lot of footage of her and she's like just sprinting up these rock faces. [censored] amazing!!! Her arms and fingers are really long and incredibly strong and doctors attribute it to her growing up climbing with these monkeys. If it's on again, watch it! I wish I could remember the girl's name though.

groo
05-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I used to climb also. Nothing too spectacular led 5.8/5.9. Experienced the smell of fear (doodoo in my shorts) one too many times and lost my nerve. Nothing beats the adreline high of climbing. When I was climbing, Red Rocks was one of the premier rock climbing places in the country, probably 30-45 minutes from the strip. You can probably find a route guide at your local rock shop or maybe even at a larger bookstore. It'll have directions, on how to find the area, info on routes and and any bouldering. I think there is a rock gym in vegas also, that would be a great source of info.

You really need to graduate from bouldering though. Start following some good leaders, learn how to lead safely and then take the sharp end! Nothing you will ever do will focus you so well or enliven your senses as much as pushing your physical and mental limits 200 feet off the deck. Of course you might just shyt yourself /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boris
05-05-2005, 01:02 PM
you sht yourself at red rocks for real? which route?

groo
05-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Never actually made it to Red Rocks. Never actually shyt myself either, it's more a figure of speech. Though it would've been more comfortable than the physical therapy I'm currently going through for the climbing accident I had in 1988.

ethan
05-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Funny this should get posted today. I haven't done any climbing in 5-6 years, and wasn't particularly good then, but it's fun. I'm heading to Rockreation (http://www.rockreation.com/la/home.htm) tonight to start up again.

DeezNuts
05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny this should get posted today. I haven't done any climbing in 5-6 years, and wasn't particularly good then, but it's fun. I'm heading to Rockreation (http://www.rockreation.com/la/home.htm) tonight to start up again.

[/ QUOTE ]

My roommates and friend(three asian girls) go there about 3-4 times a week, you'll probably see them.

They've convinced me to go a couple times. Whenever I go, my forearms get way too sore. For some reason, the left forearm gets tired more quickly than the right one.

It's fun, but I need competitive sports that don't include heights.

DN

Eihli
05-05-2005, 02:21 PM
rock climbing joel. rock climbing.... rock climbing servo. yup.... rock climbing.

COME ON! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! CAN WE GET A FRAME OF REFERENCE OR SOMETHING? JEEZ?

20,000 sklansky dollars to anyone that was thinking the same thing when they read the title of this post.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Alright! I'm definitely down for rock climbing! Hey I'll make some sandwiches. What do you like? Tuna? Peanut butter?

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jgorham
05-05-2005, 05:01 PM
I am pretty into bouldering right now (for about 2 months) - there is a good wall in the rec center on campus, but I can't talk any of my damn friends to do it with me so I don't really know how long it will last.

Sponger15SB
05-05-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright! I'm definitely down for rock climbing! Hey I'll make some sandwiches. What do you like? Tuna? Peanut butter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to say that I got this joke, I don't know how many else will though.