PDA

View Full Version : Kids riding in trunk get hit

Blarg
05-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Here's another one for the dumb files. Forgive my vague description of it, since I caught only part of it on the news just now.

A kid in Glendora, California, offers two friends a ride. However, the car was full, so the kids rode, yep, in the trunk of the sedan. The driver then careens all over the road and hits a tree, throwing the two kids out of the trunk.

A passing van came by and ran over the kids.

The driver of the car was an unlicensed 17-year-old driver. Two 15-year-old boys died.

*edited as I heard the story again on the news and it became more clear*

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Friends don't let friends ride in the trunk.

Guthrie
05-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Probably safer in the trunk than in the back of a pickup.

Porcupine
05-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Reminded me of a recent incident in NC.

edited version -

"Investigators Looking At Why Accident Victim Fell From Moving Car

A woman is in the hospital after authorities say she fell out of her vehicle while driving on Interstate 40.

The woman (52 yo) was driving east on Interstate 40 around 11 a.m. when witnesses say they saw her hanging on the side of her door and jumping out her car at 65 mph.

With no one behind the wheel, the car kept going for another quarter of a mile without hitting any other vehicles, police said, before it landed in some woods near the interstate."

full story - woman falls from car (http://www.wral.com/news/4448548/detail.html)

Duke
05-05-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this one time in my life for about one mile, and I'm shocked that it's legal. I thought I was going to die at all times.

~D

Blarg
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Me too. I did this all the time in my brother's pick-up truck, and he was an insane driver who liked to pull those Starsky and Hutch type parking brake turns and such all the time. But it was either that or take two hours to get home by bus, so... I made like an idiot almost every time and just jumped in and got ready for a half hour or so of crazy panic. Even though I did it, I couldn't believe it was legal either. Even to put your dogs there, which lots of people did, not tied down.

Then again, I always thought letting people use hands-on cell phones in cars was insane, so what do I know.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did this one time in my life for about one mile, and I'm shocked that it's legal. I thought I was going to die at all times. ~D

[/ QUOTE ]

We did this all the time when we were kids. It was very common...but then I did grow up in Texas.

Duke
05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Me too. I did this all the time in my brother's pick-up truck, and he was an insane driver who liked to pull those Starsky and Hutch type parking brake turns and such all the time. But it was either that or take two hours to get home by bus, so... I made like an idiot almost every time and just jumped in and got ready for a half hour or so of crazy panic. Even though I did it, I couldn't believe it was legal either. Even to put your dogs there, which lots of people did, not tied down.

Then again, I always thought letting people use hands-on cell phones in cars was insane, so what do I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy I rode with wasn't even a crazy driver, it just feels really unsafe.

And I don't even care if people are using cell phones, since I take that into consideration when driving around them. I do think it would be safer if people were required to get a license to be able to drive while on a cell, since there are obviously people who are far better than average drivers even while talking on one.

~D

Duke
05-05-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I did this one time in my life for about one mile, and I'm shocked that it's legal. I thought I was going to die at all times. ~D

[/ QUOTE ]

We did this all the time when we were kids. It was very common...but then I did grow up in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a nation that I have not yet had occasion to visit.

~D

Blarg
05-05-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't think you could design a good test to measure something like that. It's an inherently unsafe activity anyway.

Duke
05-05-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you could design a good test to measure something like that. It's an inherently unsafe activity anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is driving. It also depends on the circumstances. If you're driving down the 15 at night with no visible cars in either direction, your chances of falling asleep at the wheel are reduced if you're doing something other than just driving.

Make it a crowded pedestrian infested intersection, or rush hour traffic, and that will change by some amount.

~D

Blarg
05-05-2005, 11:32 AM
LOL, your chances of falling asleep while driving?

I think we've got someone seriously addicted to his cell phone here, because this has veered into adsurdity.

Perhaps we should make using a cell phone mandatory while driving, to avert the danger of falling asleep.

daryn
05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this one time in my life for about one mile, and I'm shocked that it's legal. I thought I was going to die at all times.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, are you talking about the trunk or the pickup? i assume pickup since you are huge.

when i used to work construction we rode in the trucks all the time. ain't no thang

astroglide
05-05-2005, 11:42 AM
i easily rode hundreds of miles in the back of a truck when i was a kid (highway included). it boggles the mind how dangerous it obviously is now.

Pocket Trips
05-05-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's another one for the dumb files. Forgive my vague description of it, since I caught only part of it on the news just now.

A kid in Glendora, California, offers two friends a ride. However, the car was full, so the kids rode, yep, in the trunk of the sedan. The driver then careens all over the road and hits a tree, throwing the two kids out of the trunk.

A passing van came by and ran over the kids.

The driver of the car was an unlicensed 17-year-old driver. Two 15-year-old boys died.

*edited as I heard the story again on the news and it became more clear*

[/ QUOTE ]

its always good to see natural selection in action... Charles Darwin would be proud

blaze666
05-05-2005, 12:41 PM
morons...

HopeydaFish
05-05-2005, 03:36 PM
A kid I knew in high school was killed in much the same way. He was coming back from the bar with a bunch of friends, there were 8 people who decided to crawl into a Honda Civic, so 2 of them had to ride in the trunk. The driver was drunk, went too quickly down a highway onramp with the overloaded car, lost control, and then got totalled by a truck coming down the highway. The two kids in the trunk were killed instantly, as well as a couple of the other occupants of the car.

The ironic thing is that this kid's sister had died in a car accident a couple of weeks earlier after coming back from the same bar. You'd think he'd have been more careful after attending his own sister's funeral, but obviously he didn't consider it a "wake up call" about his own behaviour.

purnell
05-05-2005, 03:52 PM
When I was a kid, I commuted from town to my summer job as a farmhand on the back of a Chevy half ton. 70MPH, straight, wide road. We stood up sometimes for kicks. I don't think I would feel like standing up if I did it again.

youtalkfunny
05-05-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even to put your dogs there, which lots of people did, not tied down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cinching a noose around their neck would be better?

Pocket Trips
05-05-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

reminds me of a funny thing that happened to a friend in college.. his dog was on a leash tied to a bed post on the 2nd floor, when he pulled in the driveway the dog got so excited to see him he jumped out the window and basically hung himself...OMG did he take some serious [censored] from us for his dog committing suicide right before his eyes

Blarg
05-05-2005, 04:30 PM
If they fall out of a speeding truck, they're probably dead anyway, but a leash could at least possibly prevent them from falling out in the first place, depending how long it is and where it's attached. Of course, some people would do it the worst possible way, creating ideal situations for the dog to strangle or hang itself.

But the obvious answer is that putting a dog to ride around not secured in the back of your truck is a dangerous thing to do in the first place. The dog should be up front, with you. He's a life form, just like you are.

Having people or dogs ride around unprotected in the back of trucks is pretty much the way it's always been done, but that doesn't mean it's not stupid. If I had kids, I wouldn't let them ride around that way in my truck or anybody else's, either. Even though I did it myself when I was a kid. That's one of the cool things about being a parent; you get to be a hypocrite, and still be right.

Sponger15SB
05-05-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, are you talking about the trunk or the pickup? i assume pickup since you are huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah riding in the back of a pick up is nothing.

A few years ago when I was in hawaii we had too many people to fit in the truck, so I rode in the back cause I was the youngest/smallest....but there was a hard top on it so it was like a freaking trunk. I went from turtle bay - waimea bay, which is like...I dunno 7 miles?

HopeydaFish
05-05-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

reminds me of a funny thing that happened to a friend in college.. his dog was on a leash tied to a bed post on the 2nd floor, when he pulled in the driveway the dog got so excited to see him he jumped out the window and basically hung himself...OMG did he take some serious [censored] from us for his dog committing suicide right before his eyes

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, that's hilarious. And then you made it even more funny by teasing the poor guy whose pet had just died. With friends like you, he doesn't need enemies.

Blarg
05-05-2005, 04:32 PM
LOL, that sounds heartbreaking to experience, but it paints a hilarious picture as a story.

"Wow, dude, your dog hated you so much he committed suicide when he saw you coming up the driveway. Did he leave a note?"

Blarg
05-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Yup, his friends sound like total arseholes.