PDA

View Full Version : Some level 3 wisdom needed

1C5
05-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t850)
CO (t825)
Button (t1720)
SB (t565)
BB (t510)
UTG (t485)
MP1 (t3045)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?

zambonidrivr
05-05-2005, 09:56 AM
I call this bet, and push on any King or Ace that falls on the board post flop. If someone reraises behind, you have to fold.

If you lose this hand you will be left with 650, with some opportunity to still be in the game.

Freudian
05-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Hero explodes in a cloud of confusion.

I hate these hands. It feels like I only have the option of pushing or folding here. If MP1 is solid, the 4xBB means my AK isn't looking all that great anymore.

That said, I would probably push and be shown JJ.

edit: just noticed MP1 has 3k chips. In level 3 it usually means bad+lucky player. That makes it easier for me to push here.

Phil Van Sexton
05-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Sometimes it's hard to see the forest through the trees.

Push.

shejk
05-05-2005, 10:28 AM
I'd be more scared with a smaller bet. Push.

Edit:
You don't have much fold equity, he'll likely call you with anything he makes that raise with. Maybe a call is better. Is this reasoning sound? Or should I be thinking, don't let him get away the times KQ doesn't look very good postflop?

Sam T.
05-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Shoves. If he folds you increase your stack by 25% and get his attention. If he calls, you're at worst a coin-flip, and possibly have him dominated.

With that kind of stack, he's probably gotten your attention - is it by catching AA four times, or sucking out with 72? Either way, I'd shove here.

Sam

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Best Quotes here:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be more scared with a smaller bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst Quote:

[ QUOTE ]
I call this bet

[/ QUOTE ]

ewing55
05-05-2005, 12:57 PM
How have you been playing? Do you have any respect at the table? If you haven't been pushing everything I usually find these "big gamblers" who have tripled up don't mind trying to push people around. But when that quiet player who rarely plays a hand pushes he knows he's up against a real hand. I'll bet he'll fold (most likely), if he has a real hand he'll call and you'll be in a coin flip. If you lose, fire up another SnG. If you win, you'll pretty much be ITM!!! If he folds, you'll be sitting pretty to use your skillz.

Pooossssshhhh!!!!!

Of course I'm just a rookie. I could be wrong.

------------Jeff

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Calling's not terrible, but pushing is better. Anything in between (or folding) is bad.

Wes ManTooth
05-05-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best Quotes here:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be more scared with a smaller bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst Quote:

[ QUOTE ]
I call this bet

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice recap,
adding "shoves" to the best quotes will also work too.

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling's not terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we genuinely disagree here. I don't like calling off 25% of my stack just to take a look.

Also, I have changed my mind. I missed the UTG limper earlier. The previous post about a smaller bet worrying me more no longer applies. In fact, quite the opposite. I put his hand range on 77+, ATs+, KQs, KJs, QJs. He is the big stack, and this is a $22 right?

Your card equity against this range is 57%. IMO, you either play aggressive here, and push, or play very weak tight and fold. I think calling is the worst play here.

To recap, my order of preference is
A)PUSH (very strong here)
B)FOLD (very weak tight - don't care for this)
C)Call (this leaves you in a precarious position - except that you have position)

IC5, with the amount of chips in the pot, t325, your hand strength, and the fact that primary villain is big stack, you are in push fold mode here. In fact, how would you play this hand if it were level 4? IMHO, you should play this hand the same way you would approach it if it were level 4.

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Scuba, you're probably right.

yecul
05-05-2005, 01:46 PM
I think the 4bb raise is completely appropriate facing an UTG caller. Push this hand. You'll be called, but will run into the coin flip more often than AA or KK -- actually, AK is fairly likely as well.

SuitedSixes
05-05-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling's not terrible, but pushing is better. Anything in between (or folding) is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? My ROI is inflated by people thinking that AK rules when I am holding AA, KK, or QQ and coming over the top of me.

I think this falls into the "Small Edge Early" category. Calling isn't bad, but I've been feeling very good lately by folding in these situations. I don't need to flip coins that early . . . but maybe that's because I am the greatest bubble player ever. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 01:56 PM
A lot of times, that's not a coinflip though. I hate folding AK ever when there's only been one player that's shown aggression, unless it's a bubble situation. If UTG is a known solid player, folding would enter my mind, but not otherwise.

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this falls into the "Small Edge Early" category.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this wasn't the big stack, or if this t200 bet was the first bet into this pot, I would be more agreeable with your line here.

SuitedSixes
05-05-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this falls into the "Small Edge Early" category.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this wasn't the big stack, or if this t200 bet was the first bet into this pot, I would be more agreeable with your line here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was joking about the "best bubble player" ever line, but I think there is something to knowing where your strengths/comfort zone is. I am very comfortable with a smallish-mediumish stack of the bubble and would much prefer to allow my tournament fate to be decided in a FE situation there then with overcards against a monkey (or two, in this case) who think that 99 is a money hand.

I am sure that there are others who hate that part and would much rather risk/accumulate chips at this point of the tournament to make the end game a little easier.

curtains
05-05-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? My ROI is inflated by people thinking that AK rules when I am holding AA, KK, or QQ and coming over the top of me.

I think this falls into the "Small Edge Early" category. Calling isn't bad, but I've been feeling very good lately by folding in these situations. I don't need to flip coins that early . . . but maybe that's because I am the greatest bubble player ever. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate calling. I'm not excited to move allin, but it's what I do, especially because big stack often = crazy.

SuitedSixes
05-05-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate calling. I'm not excited to move allin, but it's what I do, especially because big stack often = crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great reason to push and if that's the read, I will push in a heart beat.