05-05-2005, 03:43 AM
Post deleted by J_V

Popinjay
05-05-2005, 03:44 AM
statistics are true? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

PoBoy321
05-05-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone posted a stat about 13% of young adult black men are in prison. Assuming this stat is true, is it racist to say that young black men commit more crimes than young white men?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because the stat doesn't necessarily mean that black men are more prone to commit crime. Only that they are more likely to be incarcerated for it. I don't want to turn this into something for the politics forum, but I believe that most black men are in jail for low level drug offenses which many middle-class white men would not serve time for.

[ QUOTE ]
Going one step furter, is it okay for someone to be more afraid of a young black man in an altercation than a young white man?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] yeah, niggas scare the [censored] outta me.

Dantes
05-05-2005, 03:49 AM
maybe you're not thinking this through. Its a fact that black people have an average lower income than other races. Its a fact that there's more crime in lower income neighborhoods. 2+2=???

J_V
05-05-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a life. Joking or not, if I knew you, I would no longer associate with you in anyway.

PoBoy321
05-05-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Get a life. Joking or not, if I knew you, I would no longer associate with you in anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe that you would possibly take a comment like that with any kind of seriousness.

And out of curiosity, why did you delete your thread?

DcifrThs
05-05-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone posted a stat about 13% of young adult black men are in prison. Assuming this stat is true, is it racist to say that young black men commit more crimes than young white men?

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, basing racial questions on statistics is not racist.

its racist to say, "all XYZ people are _________fill in racial slur"

its not racist to say, "well, since 13% of black people are in prison, and they compose only 8% of society, then proportionally they commit more crimes than white people." (i made up these numbers, i have no clue as to the real #s)

i dont know the real stats, but from MY work, i can tell you that blacks are less likely to have employer sponsered health insurance than whites. whites are most likely to have that coverage and are disproportionally higher distributed among higher income classes, higher tax rates, higher child care coverage, and "better [as judged by my office's self created census executed survey]" health care.

-Barron

Eurotrash
05-05-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what if it's Kanye West comin at ya with the Polo RL rugby, COLLAR UP OF COURSE.

http://www.sixshot.com/images/images/kanyebio.jpg

holla at ya boy.

PoBoy321
05-05-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] what if it's Kanye West comin at ya with the Polo RL rugby, COLLAR UP OF COURSE.

http://www.sixshot.com/images/images/kanyebio.jpg
holla at ya boy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only because I would be shamed by Kanye's superior collar popping skills.

J_V
05-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Because the replies were terrible. Yours included.

J_V
05-05-2005, 04:34 AM
The majority of people would argue differently, which is very sad.

JaBlue
05-05-2005, 04:48 AM
you deleted your thread so i don't know what you meant by it, but if it was "if I think black people are cooler and have more soul than white people am I racist?" the answer is no, you are enlightened.

soah
05-05-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"well, since 13% of black people are in prison, and they compose only 8% of society, then proportionally they commit more crimes than white people."

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot reach that conclusion from the information given.

Blarg
05-05-2005, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because the stat doesn't necessarily mean that black men are more prone to commit crime. Only that they are more likely to be incarcerated for it. I don't want to turn this into something for the politics forum, but I believe that most black men are in jail for low level drug offenses which many middle-class white men would not serve time for.

[ QUOTE ]
Going one step furter, is it okay for someone to be more afraid of a young black man in an altercation than a young white man?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesse Jackson once famously mentioned his relief at walking down the street one night and realizing the guy walking behind him wasn't black.

istewart
05-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Everyone's racist, blah blah nobody cares.

RunDownHouse
05-05-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because the stat doesn't necessarily mean that black men are more prone to commit crime. Only that they are more likely to be incarcerated for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
PoBoy, this says more about your perception of blacks than it does the OP's (or whomever is making the statement).

Jesus, this place is PC.

Ulysses
05-05-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its not racist to say, "well, since 13% of black people are in prison, and they compose only 8% of society, then proportionally they commit more crimes than white people." (i made up these numbers, i have no clue as to the real #s)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a degree of racism in your statement, since you apparently didn't even consider the fact that maybe they just get locked up more often than whites who commit crimes.

jojobinks
05-05-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the above post should have ended the discussion. it's clear that black men go to jail more often. it's not anywhere close to clear that that's indicative of criminal tendencies along racial lines.

B Dids
05-05-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a degree of racism in your statement, since you apparently didn't even consider the fact that maybe they just get locked up more often than whites who commit crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding.

The other problem is that the real driving reason for crime stats has more to do with poverty than race, and there's a ton of factors that go into the black population being less affluent than whites.

BeerMoney
05-05-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

its not racist to say, "well, since 13% of black people are in prison, and they compose only 8% of society, then proportionally they commit more crimes than white people."

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not racist, it just doesn't make any sense.. It says 13% of black men are in prison. It doesn't say 13 % of prisoners are black. Then your rationale of 8% of people are black so 13% is high would make sense...

Now, call me racist, or whatever you want, but if 3 black guys in the hood start walking towards my car, I'm gonna get the hell out of there, a helluva a lot quicker than if 3 nuns start walking towards my car.

I'd guess a lot of people make terrible decisions when their own safety is in jeopardy just for the sake of "not wanting to be racist."

No one is making a statement that black people are inherently more aggressive or criminal by nature, but that doesn't change the fact that there are a way higher percentage of black men in jail then white men.

Sponger15SB
05-05-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know how this fits, but I think its time we see this picture of el diablo....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/sleepboxer/al.jpg

gumpzilla
05-05-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Get a life. Joking or not, if I knew you, I would no longer associate with you in anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. You post a thread, the purpose of which as far as I can ascertain is to rationalize your fear of black people, and get super defensive when somebody jokingly calls you out on it? I'd say this belies some concern about underlying racist attitudes.

This isn't necessarily a horrendous thing; you can have natural reactions that you think are wrong but are still how you feel. But I don't think the correct thing to do in this case is try to rationalize these fears to make them acceptable - just realize that they are not good thoughts.

ricochet420
05-05-2005, 05:21 PM
I am NOT racist. I hate EVERYBODY the same![ QUOTE ]
Everyone's racist, blah blah nobody cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

PoBoy321
05-05-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PoBoy, this says more about your perception of blacks than it does the OP's (or whomever is making the statement).

[/ QUOTE ]

And what exactly is my perception of blacks?

theBruiser500
05-05-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow that is a little overboard. the joke is stupid and not funny but not particularly offensive

theBruiser500
05-05-2005, 05:33 PM
i don't talk to black people much because i'm afraid of saying something racist by accident. for instance in the soccer game yesterday our team was retreating on defense and i said "you got ball, i got black over here" because he had a black shirt on, but he also had black skin, after i said it was afraid he thought i was being racist.

tbach24
05-05-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know how this fits, but I think its time we see this picture of el diablo....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/sleepboxer/al.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really el d?

Vince Young
05-05-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm only racist against the crazy names.

ricochet420
05-05-2005, 06:06 PM
That's one major flaw in our society. The paranoia! All of this PC crap is BS!!! ARGH!!!

I'm not bashing you, it's society that has put a lot of her citizens in this situation. What is wrong with us?[ QUOTE ]
i don't talk to black people much because i'm afraid of saying something racist by accident. for instance in the soccer game yesterday our team was retreating on defense and i said "you got ball, i got black over here" because he had a black shirt on, but he also had black skin, after i said it was afraid he thought i was being racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
05-05-2005, 06:31 PM
One of the funniest things I ever saw was a black guy I knew asking this guy how his outfit looked, and the other guy saying, "Black's not a good color for you."

Dead
05-05-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Is that really el d?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really doubt it. Maybe El D wishes that it was.

DcifrThs
05-05-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. didn't fully go through the logic of the entire situation.

13% of black men are in jail.
what % of white men are in Jail?
what % of total americans are in Jail?

those are #s that would help draw conclusions.
further, what % of arrested black men are in jail?
what % of black men are arrested?
what % of white arrestees are in jail?
what % of white men are arrested?
what % of americans get arrested?
what % of those arrested are in jail.

futher,
what % of aggressive crimes are committed by black men?
what % of aggressive crimes are committed by white men?
what % of total crimes are committed by black/white me?
etc...

with that information we can draw the conclusion i incorrectly reached above if the data agree.

-Barron

The Stranger
05-05-2005, 07:15 PM
I've met very cool people, and I've met very messed up people from just about every ethnic group I've come in contact with. While stastistics might show certain trends, I don't make a whole lot of assumptions about people. Everybody is just doing the best they can to get by based on their own background. We are all just God's kids.

Matty
05-05-2005, 07:56 PM
25% of the world's prison population are Americans.

theBruiser500
05-05-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's one major flaw in our society. The paranoia! All of this PC crap is BS!!! ARGH!!!

I'm not bashing you, it's society that has put a lot of her citizens in this situation. What is wrong with us?[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, i don't care if people make jewish jokes and i'm jewish, but all the tv shows with black people and racial stuff going on has me freaked out. i'm a lot more likely to make a spanish person joke or something.

blarg, haha, v. funny