PDA

View Full Version : it's official...i suck at td

lucas9000
05-05-2005, 03:37 AM
i'm just terrible. i might need to take a break and study ss2 for a while. maybe it's a bad run of cards, but that's definitely not the whole reason.

sorry, i just needed to vent.

dibbs
05-05-2005, 04:01 AM
Haha any hands in particular? FWIW, I've seen you sittin headsup with cats a few times, certainly a high variance play for a new game, no?

I've only logged about 3k hands so far online, in the green but I'm taking it real slow, not going up past .5/1, and seen some crazy swings, I understand thats the nature of the game, and oh yea, I mess up all the time.

I still dont understand all the odds so it can be really frustrating when you cant tell if you made a +EV play or not, but the more I understand the less frustrating it gets. Admittingly I almost retired forever after consecutive awful sessions where I played and ran bad, but I still like this game. Keep up the good fight.

Luv2DriveTT
05-05-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm just terrible. i might need to take a break and study ss2 for a while. maybe it's a bad run of cards, but that's definitely not the whole reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what. I'm terrible too. Keep spewing, its the only way to learn to get better. This is virgin territory for us all, its an amazing skill we are learning that will put us ahead of the average player as they pick up this incredibly frustrating game.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

lucas9000
05-05-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Haha any hands in particular? FWIW, I've seen you sittin headsup with cats a few times, certainly a high variance play for a new game, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it does seem to be high variance. i actually don't feel too bad at all about playing heads up. it is of course possible that it's variance. it seems like in the past couple days i've been dealt a lot of 2345x-type hands that never got there, and had a lot of 23478-type hands after the first draw that got drawn out on. but on the other hand i've made some probably foolish plays as well, so i'm not going to say that it's ONLY variance and bad beats /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lucas9000
05-05-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what. I'm terrible too. Keep spewing, its the only way to learn to get better. This is virgin territory for us all, its an amazing skill we are learning that will put us ahead of the average player as they pick up this incredibly frustrating game.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i know it's the only way to learn, and i disagree that you're a terrible player. i'm certainly not giving it up...i've enjoyed it very much, and there is so much to it that i feel like i'll only enjoy it more as i (hopefully) get better. besides, i'd rather watch paint dry than play hold em cash games these days.

TakeMeToTheRiver
05-05-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way...

Here is the kind of situation I find myself in often -- I have four cards to the nuts before the first draw and raise (from whatever position) and end up with two or more callers drawing 2 or more cards each. One of the following two things happens most often:

(1) I don't improve greatly and end up with a pair or an Ace after the final draw, or

(2) I improve with a 9 or 10 on the first or second draw and stand pat and bet aggresively until one of the others beat me on the final draw.

Is there something I do wrong?

At the same time, it seems to me that I am winning more money when I am drawing and calling when I think that I am behind -- which I don't do that often... but that is just a gut feeling which is often wrong in poker.

randomstumbl
05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Staying pat with a ten after one draw is not a great move. You're going to improve more often than not. Staying with a 9 is something I'm more likely to do if I know my opponents are still drawing two. A decent 9 is probably the marginal case.

On the third round, position is a lot more important and things change a lot. The chapter in SS2 covers it pretty well though.

TakeMeToTheRiver
05-05-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't think I have ever been pat with a 10 after the first draw -- definitely not against more than one opponent. I was not very precise in my post.

lucas9000
05-05-2005, 05:54 PM
i just have to whine about this because it's typical of how things have been going lately.

does anyone NOT 3-bet the river here?

$.50/$1 Triple Draw 2-7

a is at seat 0 with $50.15.
villain is at seat 2 with $56.85.
hero is at seat 3 with $26.25.
b is at seat 4 with $36.30.
c is at seat 5 with $21.90.
The button is at seat 2.

hero posts the small blind of $.25.
b posts the big blind of $.50.

hero: 5c 2c 3d 7d 6d

First Round:

c folds. a folds. villain raises to
$1. hero re-raises to $1.50. b folds.
villain calls.

hero stands pat. villain takes 3 cards.

Second Round:

hero bets $.50. villain calls.

lucas9000 stands pat. villain takes 1 card.

Third Round:

hero bets $1. villain calls.

hero stands pat. villain takes 1 card.

Final Round:

hero bets $1. villain raises to $2. hero
re-raises to $3. villain calls.

Showdown:

hero shows 7d 6d 5c 3d 2c.
hero has 7 6 5 3 2.
villain shows 7s 6h 4d 3h 2s.
villain has 7 6 4 3 2.

Hand #5730063-1812 Summary:

$.50 is raked from a pot of $12.50.
villain wins $12 with 7 6 4 3 2.

randomstumbl
05-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Really, I don't think villian's play is quite as awful as it looks. He probably starts with 27 or 23 and is just trying to steal the blinds. After that, he catches a one card draw to a seven and sticks around and hits it. Just be thankful you scared him enough that he didn't cap the river. Him not capping the river with the second best hand is terrible.

From your angle, sometimes you just have to lose a lot of money on a pot.

lucas9000
05-05-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From your angle, sometimes you just have to lose a lot of money on a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i know. so do you 3-bet the river here or just call his raise?

randomstumbl
05-05-2005, 06:29 PM
You've got the third best hand in the game and your opponent probably figures your range of hands is anywhere form 23457 to a 96 or even a complete snow. I'm figuring you're ahead at least half the time that you're raised here. I'm kind of doubting myself because he called a three bet with the second best hand, but I still think you should reraise here.

DeathDonkey
05-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Easy reraise. If you don't lose alot of money when you lose with a 7, you didn't play it right. It's like flopping a set and losing.

-DeathDonkey