PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many black women fat?

judgesmails
05-05-2005, 03:31 AM
I don't have any scientific study to back this up, but from obseervation I think 80+% of black women are overweight - far more than any other race.

Why?

thatpfunk
05-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Too much fried chicken and kool aid?

BusterStacks
05-05-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

PoBoy321
05-05-2005, 03:44 AM
So there's this cleaning lady in my dorm, and she is a rather girthy woman of color. Anyway, she always wears this mumu type deal when she works, and earlier today, a guess a breeze caught the bottom of it and I saw the back of her legs.

It looked like she had an ass on the back of her knees.

DeezNuts
05-05-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

DN

liquidboss
05-05-2005, 03:54 AM
I've seen studies that say 50% of African-American women are obese. I don't know how that compares to other races but it sounds high to me.

Josh W
05-05-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have any scientific study to back this up, but from obseervation I think 80+% of black women are overweight - far more than any other race.

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard that African Americans have larger bone structures, due in large part to having many more generations with much more manual labor. This is obviously due somewhat to the developing status of Africa as well as hundreds of years of slavery in the states.

I make no claims to the accuracy of this. It's just something I've heard, that to first order, seems reasonable.

And, yes, I understand that there is a difference between obesity and large bone structures.

Josh

BusterStacks
05-05-2005, 04:10 AM
I find it difficult to believe that any abnormal evolutionary traits would be present in humans after several hundred years.

PoBoy321
05-05-2005, 04:16 AM
True, but I think that you also have to account for the fact that because of the slave trade, many blacks were, for all intents and purposes, bred to be better workers, which I think could possibly account for the rapid change.

Tyler Durden
05-05-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

There is tons of bullsh1t posted on OOT every day and if THIS is what gives you pause you seriously need to wake the fcuk up.

Catch of the Day
05-05-2005, 04:22 AM
Yeah, its not evolution. Like the guy above me said. Slavers would breed to exploit certain traits. When only the best male and female slave's genetic material is allowed to be passed on, than the impact could be very large over a couple 100 years.

Catch-

liquidboss
05-05-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
True, but I think that you also have to account for the fact that because of the slave trade, many blacks were, for all intents and purposes, bred to be better workers, which I think could possibly account for the rapid change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure we've all heard the urban legend that uses this logic to explain why blacks are more athletic but why would this make them fatter? Larger bone structure doesn't give you ass backed knees.

PoBoy321
05-05-2005, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I'm sure we've all heard the urban legend that uses this logic to explain why blacks are more athletic but why would this make them fatter? Larger bone structure doesn't give you ass backed knees.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't in response to the OP. In fact, I think that it argues quite to the contrary of his assertion that most black women are overweight. Buster doubted the possibility that there could be genetic changes throughout an entire race over the course of a few centuries, and I think that this was simply one way of explaining it.

Jack of Arcades
05-05-2005, 04:58 AM
Poverty, tradition, and culture.

liquidboss
05-05-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I'm sure we've all heard the urban legend that uses this logic to explain why blacks are more athletic but why would this make them fatter? Larger bone structure doesn't give you ass backed knees.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't in response to the OP. In fact, I think that it argues quite to the contrary of his assertion that most black women are overweight. Buster doubted the possibility that there could be genetic changes throughout an entire race over the course of a few centuries, and I think that this was simply one way of explaining it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I see... you disagree with the OP. I'm sorry, I didn't catch that at first.

FWIW I found some stats (http://www.statehealthfacts.kff.org/cgi-bin/healthfacts.cgi?action=profile&category=Minority+H ealth&subcategory=&topic=&link_category=Health+Sta tus&link_subcategory=Obesity&link_topic=Overweight +and+Obesity+Rate+by+Race%2fEthnicity&welcome=0&ar ea=United+States) that show African-Americans (and minorities in general) are more obese than others. This (http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/race_class/othergirlsstuff.html) is a little old but brings up other factors such as poverty and education play a large role in being obese. So it seems that even though the white man bred obesity out of his slaves, he has now forced their decendants to be fat by keeping them poor. Damn the man!!!

i wanna be me
05-05-2005, 05:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL (in the watching someone get his by a car sense)

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 05:13 AM
I don't have anything to back this up, but 85% of this post is retarded.

PoBoy321
05-05-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have anything to back this up, but 85% of this post is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you. I don't know why, but you seem like a really good guy.

handsome
05-05-2005, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have heard that African Americans have larger bone structures, due in large part to having many more generations with much more manual labor. This is obviously due somewhat to the developing status of Africa as well as hundreds of years of slavery in the states.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have rejected that claim when you first heard it because major evolutionary changes (like bone structure) don't occur within a matter of centuries. Refer to Darwin.

Also, this is ironic.. but Africans were highly valued during slave trade because they were so tough, especially in comparison to the weak, poor whites in America.

purnell
05-05-2005, 06:01 AM
"Why are so many black women fat?"

I don't think there is much correlation between race/gender/obesity. I would say "For the same reason anybody is fat: consistently consuming more food energy than they use".

I haven't been paying attention to OP names, but it seems like we are seeing a few too many of these racist-baiting type posts. What is the reason?

istewart
05-05-2005, 06:04 AM
Because they don't exactly eat nutritiously.

And they get pwnt by sickle-cell disease.

Dr. Strangelove
05-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Blacks were valued higher than whites for reasons of climate.

Zoltri
05-05-2005, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Fuzzy Zoeller?

judgesmails
05-05-2005, 06:33 AM
I always assumed it had to do with dietary habits of poor people in the US. But I just returned from Belize and noticed that most of the black women there were fat and the white women and latinas were not as much so. I made similar observations when I was in Aruba last fall. Generally, black men are not as fat as white men. It just got me to wondering if there was some genetic reason for this and if there was any academic study out there about this.

Th3Answer
05-05-2005, 06:34 AM
It is a defense mechanism and aids in hunting. When small black items appear in the human field of vision, they are easily recognizable as 'different' and your eyes focus on them. When an extremely large black item enters the human field of vision, the brain gets confused, does not know where to focus and attempts to look away. While this is occuring, said black woman steals your fried chicken and kool aid.

JaBlue
05-05-2005, 06:35 AM
P-H phat, you mean?

GoblinMason (Craig)
05-05-2005, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
factors such as poverty...lay a large role in being obese.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else find this ironic?

istewart
05-05-2005, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is a defense mechanism and aids in hunting. When small black items appear in the human field of vision, they are easily recognizable as 'different' and your eyes focus on them. When an extremely large black item enters the human field of vision, the brain gets confused, does not know where to focus and attempts to look away. While this is occuring, said black woman steals your fried chicken and kool aid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha

Blarg
05-05-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Different racial and ethnic groups definitely are made differently, despite our tendencies to be politically correct or politically big jerks about everything.

The Pima Indians are the most famous example of a people who are genetically predisposed to be fat. On the normal diet their tribe has had for hundreds of years, they don't get particularly fat, but that diet was fairly sparse, and gathering their foods took a great deal of walking and exercise. Now, on the typical high fat junk food diet people eat these days, they get way more calories, and going to the supermarket once a week isn't exactly exercise, so the whole tribe is hugely fat, has an incredible rate of diabetes, etc. The sparse, harsh desert lands they live in put a huge premium on storing fat that doesn't work well in the abundance of these times. The survival value of countless generations of successful evolution hits a wall.

I've read that poorer people tend to have the worst nutrition and eat the most junk food, which doesn't seem to be a startling or objectionable conclusion to me. Poorer people disproportionately are minorities, so I think that explains the situation fairly well all by itself.

I think some of it has got to be cultural too, though. For a long time now, I've been working mostly among Latinos, and although you occasionally get fat Latino guys, it's extremely common that the husband next to the wife looks like a needle next to a beach ball.

Latino women just seem to have very few or no female role models among their families or older friends who are normal sized. Most of them are obese. I see their families all the time, and every last auntie and grandma and mom and mom's friend are not just fat, but very fat, and usually not just very fat but obese. And I mean -- family after family I've seen over decades. I've lived in Latino neighborhoods for almost 20 years now, and it's the same thing up and down every street. Barely a one gets past being a teenager without becoming hefty.

Why is it like that? A background barely removed from poverty has a lot to do with it -- the poor nutrition and celebration of junk food is part of it. But I think other things are part of it too, including their religion and lifestyles. If you knew that your husband wouldn't divorce you no matter how little you took care of yourself, and that the whole social structure would come down on him if he did, how tempted would you be to remain a hottie? If every woman you knew looked just like you, where would the impetus be to change or make yourself look better?

A huge percentage of the Latino guys I know are banging every woman they can get their hands on, whether they're married or not and whether their partner is married or not. If you were going to go out banging all the women you could, how much would you care if your wife was fat?

I'm going to say something else objectionable to the politically correct here, too. As far as slavery honing the survivors into physically stronger specimens, it isn't correct to dismiss that idea just because mutation isn't working in a short time span to produce better specimens. The same effect can be produced, but by a different method.

America still hasn't come to grips with slavery and what it was really like. The average lifespan of a slave who worked sugar cane fields in Jamaica was under three years. Three years! Only the very luckiest of the very strongest survived long enough to reproduce, or had offspring that survived. It wasn't that Darwin was working on a microscopic level; it's that slavery was a holocaust that decimated Africans, leaving as remainders not people slowly breeding themselves into physical superiority -- they already WERE superior. That's the only reason they lasted long enough to breed and raise living children in the first place. It's one thing to talk about the speed at which you can, say, breed blue eyes into a populace, but quite another to look at the percentage of the populace that has blue eyes when you've killed off everyone who doesn't.

Zoltri
05-05-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.brawl-hall.com/gallery/data/media/5/black_woman_1.jpg

Cyrus
05-05-2005, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it difficult to believe that any abnormal evolutionary traits would be present in humans after several hundreds of thousands of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Still not a correct idea, though, as far as evolution is concerned.

purnell
05-05-2005, 07:10 AM
/images/graemlins/cool.gif There might be. Somebody here probably knows.

Jack of Arcades
05-05-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
factors such as poverty...lay a large role in being obese.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else find this ironic?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between the poverty of the inner city and third wold countries. Usually the cheapest way to prepare a food is the unhealthiest.

purnell
05-05-2005, 07:21 AM
" ass backed knees"

gets my vote for phrase of the week, absurd image division.

purnell
05-05-2005, 07:42 AM
I had to go looking...

This image is not suitable for viewing by anyone at any time nor any place. (http://depfin.adm.yar.ru/forum/uploads/ECC84_fat-woman.jpg)

twang
05-05-2005, 07:42 AM
Weight problems, as well as loads of other health issues, are all about social class. Are +80% of the upper middle class african-american women obese ? I think not.

/twang

twang
05-05-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Weight problems, as well as loads of other health issues, are all about social class. Are +80% of the upper middle class african-earthian women obese ? I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fixed my post. See related thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2316611&page=6&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1).

/twang

DeezNuts
05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

There is tons of bullsh1t posted on OOT every day and if THIS is what gives you pause you seriously need to wake the fcuk up.

[/ QUOTE ]

My surprise came because it came from a poster that I that I wouldn't expect this from due to the usual content of his posts. Not offended, just surprised.

Your "tough" response about it is something that doesn't surprise me and your opinion is something I couldn't care less about.

DN

syka16
05-05-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that and other cheep fattening foods.

beerbandit
05-05-2005, 12:33 PM
there are a lot of fat people

BeerMoney
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
I really find black women attractive. Not the big chunky ones, but, the other ones.. On the slim side.

flair1239
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it difficult to believe that any abnormal evolutionary traits would be present in humans after several hundred years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with evoloution. It has to do with how badly the gene pool was depleted when they came over a slaves.

The transportation process, the draconian conditions when they got here, and the primitive selective breeding programs of the time favored survival for the most rugged and durable of the pool.

ethan
05-05-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surprised to see anyone take this seriously. Reading through the 40+ posts in this thread it looks like just about _everyone_ took it seriously.

It's a smartass answer to a really stupid question. I thought it was funny.

RicktheRuler
05-05-2005, 01:07 PM
He may have worded his answer is poor taste, but he has a legitimate point.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks for sharing?