PDA

View Full Version : study your ass of or just ace the lsats?

dutchbrodymoss
05-05-2005, 02:45 AM
i don't really feel like studying any more. but i want to go to law school. so.. should i deprioritize school and focus on the LSATs?

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 02:53 AM
F[/i]ucking up undergrad is a great way to not get into law school despite a good LSAT score.

dutchbrodymoss
05-05-2005, 03:00 AM
i see.
that's. good advice.

Jman28
05-05-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
F[/i]ucking up undergrad is a great way to not get into law school despite a good LSAT score.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously good grades are a plus, but I was under the impression that law schools put more weight on standardized tests than any other type of higher education institutions.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 03:03 AM
If you're sporting straight Cs in undergrad and ace your LSAT you will be able to get into second tier schools at best.

pshreck
05-05-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously good grades are a plus, but I was under the impression that law schools put more weight on standardized tests than any other type of higher education institutions.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't getting into a decent law school with a 2.5 GPA, regardless of your LSATs.

dutchbrodymoss
05-05-2005, 03:08 AM
well i have a 3.6 and its finals week and i'm nearing the dawn of my undergraduate experience. I'm doing a semester's worth of summer school, where i'll be taking some freebie classes that'll jack up my GPA.

ANYHOW. what i'm really trying to say is that. i just don't feel like studying anymore. so, yeah. what should i do.

so the real question is.

what do you people do when you guys feel stressed out, burnt out, and demoralized.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 03:18 AM
P.O.T.

steveyz
05-05-2005, 03:55 AM
a night out involving friends and lots of liquor usually helps :-)

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You aren't getting into a decent law school with a 2.5 GPA, regardless of your LSATs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely true. My little sister got into University of Texas. I don't remember her exact GPA but it was <3.0. But, yea, she aced the LSATs.

slickpoppa
05-05-2005, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well i have a 3.6 and its finals week and i'm nearing the dawn of my undergraduate experience. I'm doing a semester's worth of summer school, where i'll be taking some freebie classes that'll jack up my GPA.

ANYHOW. what i'm really trying to say is that. i just don't feel like studying anymore. so, yeah. what should i do.

so the real question is.

what do you people do when you guys feel stressed out, burnt out, and demoralized.

[/ QUOTE ]

The LSATs are about 80% of the admissions criteria for law school. As long as your GPA is decent, which your certainly is, your LSAT score will be the most important factor.

Bulldog
05-05-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't "dawn" mean "beginning"?

purnell
05-05-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
P.O.T.

[/ QUOTE ]

odellthurman
05-05-2005, 01:49 PM
It's hard to make much money as a lawyer if you don't work hard. Don't go to law school simply because it's easier to stay in school than it is to go to work. I think that is how a lot of people become lawyers - they drift into law school and then 5 years out of law school they wonder why they ever went in the first place.

swede123
05-05-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you're a vampire.

Swede

chaas4747
05-05-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing. To the OP, I used to play golf 1 day a week during finals. Just like 9 holes, but it took my mind off the [censored].

squeek12
05-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I just went through the whole deal. The LSAT is by far the most important factor, but GPA does count for something. There really isn't anyway to study for the LSAT though, it's basically a test of your logic.

Oski
05-05-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

so the real question is.

[/ QUOTE ]

The LSATs are about 80% of the admissions criteria for law school. As long as your GPA is decent, which your certainly is, your LSAT score will be the most important factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that is true to an extent. As you get higher on the food-chain of law schools, the importance of your undergrad school and grades increase.

In other words, if you are applying to, say, University of Michigan, there will be a lot of candidates with high LSAT's. So, the candidate's undergrad credentials comes more into focus as the acceptance pool is formed.

Of course, there are exceptions, and yes ... getting the big LSAT at least gets you a crack at the big time (as opposed to having mediocre LSAT with a big-time school under your belt).

By the way, if you are not happy with your study load as an undergrad ... listen closely. LAW SCHOOL IS NOT FOR YOU. THE PRACTICE OF LAW IS NOT FOR YOU.

Do not venture into the legal profession without really understanding what it is all about and whether it suits you. As I was told by my Torts professor, "The law is a jealous mistress." You will be working long hours, and the money is not as great as it seems. (There is a reason why the top of the class has to be paid 150k to work 90 hour weeks).

One more thing. If you want to make money at anything, work on your connections. Law is no different. If you do not have a client base - guess what? You will be working for somebody who does, and at a big discount.

If you do not have connections, think long and hard about doing this, because the other way to make money is to put in ball-busting hours.

** Nutshell. No matter what you decide to do, work on making friends and connections at your undergrad. Go to social functions, party up. Drink beer and vodka (or whatever) and get drunk with friends. Smoke some weed now and again, but make sure you are making friends. Connections and friends are the key. For many, its the primary function of college. Do not sell this aspect of your college experience short.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you're a vampire.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if you're in Bizarro World.

peachy
05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
study ur bum off

gvibes
05-05-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely true. My little sister got into University of Texas. I don't remember her exact GPA but it was <3.0. But, yea, she aced the LSATs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was she in-state?

gvibes
05-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I'd put the LSAT/grades weightings at ~50/50, 60/40 at most.

DemonDeac
05-05-2005, 03:59 PM
how bout do well in school and do well on LSATs and do extracurricular activites like us normal law school wannabes do

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was she in-state?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. She went to UT for undergrad but then dropped out and went to Southwest because she partied too much. Then she took the lsat with like a week's prep and blew it away. She's a smart little bitch. She practicing divorce law in Austin now.

ArchAngel71857
05-05-2005, 04:23 PM
If you "don't feel like studying anymore" then law school isn't for you.

Aside from that, get good grades. If they see low GPA and high test scores they think "lazy."

-AA