PDA

View Full Version : bet how much on river?

fathertime
05-05-2005, 01:10 AM
25nl 6 max
4 handed

villain co (147)
hero button (151)

villain limps
hero bets 1.5 with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif
sb and bb fold
villain calls

flop 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif q /images/graemlins/heart.gif a /images/graemlins/club.gif

villain checks
hero bets pot
villain calls

turn K /images/graemlins/club.gif

villain checks
hero bets 12
villain calls

River 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

villain checks
hero

bet how much here?

PoBoy321
05-05-2005, 01:33 AM
I can think of like 8 ways that I don't like the way this hand played out.

Don't raise JTo. Hell, don't PLAY JTo.

Take a free card on the flop.

How big was the pot on the turn? I'm not sure whether or not I like that bet.

You can probably through out about a $20-$25 bet and get called by 2 pair here.

runyan99
05-05-2005, 04:46 AM
I would bet half the pot to maximize the chance he calls. This also gives him a chance to come over the top of you if he wants to get fancy.

TheWorstPlayer
05-05-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet half the pot to maximize the chance he calls. This also gives him a chance to come over the top of you if he wants to get fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you will have a much better chance of getting a big call than a big raise. I bet at least full pot here.

tripdad
05-05-2005, 05:26 AM
i agree. villain seems willing to call down here with his A. he can't put hero on the straight the way the hand played out.

tripdad

fathertime
05-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm trying to raise more hands in position rather than fewer. I'm slowly working myself up from about a 30/7 to a 30/10 and using Fimbul's preflop suggestions as a guideline. It has not been an easy transition. But I'm getting better at it.

And so jts or o in position is a sometimes raising hand for me. In position I'll play for cheap anytime.

On the flop I bet the ace. I'll make a continuation bet when hu almost every time.

At the turn I overbet the pot slightly. Villain was solid but a bit weak tight. This was one of the few times he called my continuation bet on the flop and so I thought there was a good chance a turn overbet would be called.

fathertime
05-05-2005, 11:58 AM
I slightly overbet pot, just like I did on the turn. Because villain called the flop and turn, I thought he had a decent hand and that I'd get a call. I did not. In retrospect I guess I have to put him on a suited ace or at/a9? In any case he folded and I was left thinking a half pot bet might have been better? He was solid player and weak tight.

FlipPoker
05-05-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you will have a much better chance of getting a big call than a big raise. I bet at least full pot here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Seems like he's calling you down with a weak Ace. I think he'll call a pot-sized bet.

Publos Nemesis
05-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Father, I like the raise preflop. First, at the 6-max tables, people are either crazy fish or nits. Against the nits, continuation bets from position will drive them out. Against the fish, creating a large pot will get them to stack off when JT hits hard.

Given that you said this player was tight, I think you have to bet about half the pot and hope he calls. If he has hit then he will let you know and raise you all-in.

If the player was one of those 70/30 fishes then either bet small or overbet big. Betting small often get those guys to stack off thinking you missed. They love to call overbets, so that works as well.