PDA

View Full Version : Best tasting economy wine?

Reef
05-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Please share the best tasting economy wine/champagne (<$10) you know of that can be found at Safeway, Rosauer's, etc..

with a small sample size, mine is Sutter Home- Moscato

~Reef

Boris
05-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Yellowtail cabernet sauvignion. end of contest.

pokerjo22
05-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Columbia Crest Chardonnay isn't bad, if it has to be under $10

ethan
05-05-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoking Loon's Cabernet Sauvignon would be a reasonable contender as well. You can find a number of decent Spanish and Australian reds in that price range too, but that might require going to a wine store and asking someone.

miajag81
05-05-2005, 12:52 AM
good choice. their shiraz is also very very good

Brain
05-05-2005, 12:55 AM
I was the opposite of impressed with their merlot, no taste whatsoever. I'll have to try the one you mentioned.

IndieMatty
05-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Anything Yellowtail.

P.S. I got my RFC watch

Rhone
05-05-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything Yellowtail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yellowtail was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title. I've only had the shiraz, though.

peachy
05-05-2005, 01:15 AM
96 dolce far niente /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

the chardonnay and cabernet is good too!

OR Quintessa is good too

DONT BUY CHEAP WINE!!!

DeezNuts
05-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Barefoot Zinfandel - Trader Joe's = $4.99

I buy 5 bottles every time I go.

DN

M2d
05-05-2005, 01:19 AM
three buck chuck. damned price went up 50% in the past year.
a poker buddy (for the AJ's guys, it's Chardonnay Dan) who was a managing partner in a nice restaurant chain (Il Fornaio) recommended it to me. good enough endorsement, I think.

nothumb
05-05-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Best tasting economy wine?

[/ QUOTE ]

After that, let's all post which race of women has the tastiest poop.

NT

mason55
05-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Boone's

vulturesrow
05-05-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I detect some wine snobbery?

PoBoy321
I've heard of three buck chuck. What's the actual name of the stuff? I've heard that the story goes that some winery got bought out by a bigger company, just for the name rights and wound up with a ton of the old winery's stuff and they decided to sell it all in $3 bottles.

Anyone know if that's true?

nolanfan34
Go to Huckleberry's up on the South Hill, on either Lincoln or Monroe, I can't remember. They have a great selection, and the wine guy there can easily answer this.

They have the best beer selection too.

nothumb
05-05-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, the poop thing was funny, I saw an opportunity, I took it.

No, I'm not a wine snob. I generally stick with wines that I like (reds, usually bold) and drink bottles in the $15 range. I find the really cheap stuff tends to put me off, but I'm pretty happy with almost anything else. I usually go to my liquour store and say, "Andy, what wine will I like?" and he gives me something for about 15-20 bucks that I invariably end up liking.

NT

M2d
05-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Charles Shaw. definately not something to take up space in your cellar, but a very drinkable wine

vulturesrow
05-05-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, the poop thing was funny, I saw an opportunity, I took it.

No, I'm not a wine snob. I generally stick with wines that I like (reds, usually bold) and drink bottles in the $15 range. I find the really cheap stuff tends to put me off, but I'm pretty happy with almost anything else. I usually go to my liquour store and say, "Andy, what wine will I like?" and he gives me something for about 15-20 bucks that I invariably end up liking.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a very funny line, I just didnt see you as the wine snob type. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

IndieMatty
05-05-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
96 dolce far niente /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

the chardonnay and cabernet is good too!

OR Quintessa is good too

DONT BUY CHEAP WINE!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with this if I didn't drink like 5 bottles a week. and if Yellowtail wasn't a complete abberration. It is a very tasty wine. Costs 6.99 at a very nice UWS liquor store.

DeezNuts
05-05-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with this if I didn't drink like 5 bottles a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The inexpensive wine market is only getting stronger and better. I don't want to be paying $15+ a pop for something I drink every night. I'll definitely ante up when I go to a restaurant, but when I'm at home watching TV in my sweats, I don't find much value in spending too much for an expensive wine when there are some pretty tasty cheap ones.

Trader Joe's has a great selection besides Charles Shaw under $10 and even $5.

DN

IndieMatty
05-05-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with this if I didn't drink like 5 bottles a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The inexpensive wine market is only getting stronger and better. I don't want to be paying $15+ a pop for something I drink every night. I'll definitely ante up when I go to a restaurant, but when I'm at home watching TV in my sweats, I don't find much value in spending too much for an expensive wine when there are some pretty tasty cheap ones.

Trader Joe's has a great selection besides Charles Shaw under $10 and even $5.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I like to mix it up though. Big fan of Mondavi's selections. NolanFan is a big wine guy, he'll have some great input in this thread.

Rick Nebiolo
05-05-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please share the best tasting economy wine/champagne (<$10) you know of that can be found at Safeway, Rosauer's, etc..

with a small sample size, mine is Sutter Home- Moscato

~Reef

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thread, good ideas, and I can get to a Trader Joes /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Over my now getting long life I've encountered many people who will often spend quite a bit on one bottle of wine while keeping nearly the cheapest whisky, bourbon, scotch and so on for guests.

It doesn't add up, a bottle of hard liquor should last a while, and the expenive within reason stuff is usually much better. OTOH, is a fifty dollar bottle of wine really that much better than a well-chosen ten dollar bottle? This assumes money matters, after playing the no limit games sometimes I wonder if it does to some people.

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere but is it true that comments made in the movie Sideways caused Merlot sales to decline?

~ Rick

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
05-05-2005, 02:27 AM
charles shaw. 3$ a bottle. I think thats local only tho.

Chobohoya
05-05-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Brazilian.

Chobohoya
05-05-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything Yellowtail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I would go with the Shiraz.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-05-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Boone's

[/ QUOTE ]

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Worst. Answer. Ever.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 02:58 AM
Norton Malbec. Anything by Echelon (they have a few <10.) Anything but Charles Shaw or Yellowtail.

DeezNuts
05-05-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere but is it true that comments made in the movie Sideways caused Merlot sales to decline?

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard the same, and that the movie caused Pinot Noir sales to increase. But this is just offhand information that I read somewhere on the internet.

I'll admit I'm a lemming because after seeing the movie, I started to buy Pinot(since I was a newbie wine drinker with no idea what was good and couldn't tell the difference anyways). But in tasting different wines along the way, I have found that there is nothing I like better than a good red Zinfandel and have stopped buying Pinot. I suspect the sales boost was temporary.

DN

Stu Pidasso
05-05-2005, 03:56 AM
Night Train.

Stu

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 03:59 AM
A good red zin is really good, but a good pinot, imho, is usually better. What pinots did you try?

Blarg
05-05-2005, 08:11 AM
I don't know jack about wine but I've always loved a good strong Pinot Noir.

I was never able to get into the Zinfandel cult.

2planka
05-05-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
three buck chuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charles Shaw. Available at Trader Joes.

sfer
05-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Just about any standard bottle of Cotes du Rhone or overlooked Loire Valley red.

Boris
05-05-2005, 12:23 PM
its obvious you have no taste. please don't post any wine suggestions as it will only serve to mislead the ignorant.

nolanfan34
05-05-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NolanFan is a big wine guy, he'll have some great input in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I'm a "big wine guy", but I am a big fan of the grape. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The fact is, these days, there are so many wines available for less than $10, that you really can't go too wrong trying some different kinds. There are a lot of great ones out there.

That does NOT include Charles Shaw, which should only be used for cooking wine.

One on my favorites though is Rosemount Shiraz, which you can get at Costco for like $8. In Spokane, Reef should also check out Lone Canary (http://www.northwest-wine.com/Lone-Canary-Red-Wine.html), which is a local one that you can find for around $10.

PhatTBoll
05-05-2005, 12:48 PM
If you like full bodied reds, Osborne Solaz is pretty damn good at $7.

For a more medium-bodied red, Poggio a la Sala Chianti Colli Senesi (from Italy) is only $8-$9, but I don't know if it would be in a grocery store. It's one of the best I've had for under $10.

Your grocery store might have a few German rieslings under $10. If they do, grab one that says Kabinett or Spatlese on it. This is a somewhat sweet but well structured white wine.

Pretty much any unoaked Australian chardonnay.

M2d
05-05-2005, 12:55 PM
not sure if they still carry it, but the last couple of years they were carrying the Mouton Cadet for about $5. very drinkable bordeaux (I think) style wine for a very nice price. plus, if you're bringing it to non-oenophiles, the french label will impress mightily. just remember to take the price tag off.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Boone's

[/ QUOTE ]

Boone's Farm is obviously correct. Ask any soon-to-be-no-longer-a-virgin.

ethan
05-05-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NolanFan is a big wine guy, he'll have some great input in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I'm a "big wine guy", but I am a big fan of the grape. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The fact is, these days, there are so many wines available for less than $10, that you really can't go too wrong trying some different kinds. There are a lot of great ones out there.

That does NOT include Charles Shaw, which should only be used for cooking wine.

One on my favorites though is Rosemount Shiraz, which you can get at Costco for like $8. In Spokane, Reef should also check out Lone Canary (http://www.northwest-wine.com/Lone-Canary-Red-Wine.html), which is a local one that you can find for around $10.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rosemount shiraz is a good call. They make a few more reds in the $5-7 range: a shiraz-grenache, a shiraz-cabernet, a cabernet, a merlot, and maybe more. And yes, $10 will get you some pretty good wines. My favorite inexpensive reds are Spanish, Australian, and French (mostly Cote du Rhone and the occasional Beaujolais. You won't get a decent Bordeaux for $10.)

I've found a number of Italian reds I liked in that price range (maybe up to $15), but I'd suggest you get those by going to a wine store and getting knowledgeable staff to recommend something. There's a lot of mediocre stuff mixed in with the good bottles.

You can also find some pretty good Californian sparkling whites in the $10-15 range. Try the Chandon brut.

Fins
05-05-2005, 01:26 PM
If you shop at Wal-Mart, here's their 10 under $10...

1. Chateau Traileur Parc

2. White Trashfindel

3. Big Red Gulp

4. World Championship Riesling

5. NASCARbernet

6. Chef Boyardeaux

7. Peanut Noir

8. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!

9. Grape Expectations

10. Nasti Spumante

Personally, I like the Ravenswood Merlot and if you buy from a liquor store with cash/case discounts it's usually just over $8/bottle. Also, like Louis Jadot Beaujelais.

touchfaith
05-05-2005, 01:32 PM
What a bunch of women!

It had to be said.

FrontonPoker
05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you shop at Wal-Mart, here's their 10 under $10...

1. Chateau Traileur Parc

2. White Trashfindel

3. Big Red Gulp

4. World Championship Riesling

5. NASCARbernet

6. Chef Boyardeaux

7. Peanut Noir

8. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!

9. Grape Expectations

10. Nasti Spumante

Personally, I like the Ravenswood Merlot and if you buy from a liquor store with cash/case discounts it's usually just over $8/bottle. Also, like Louis Jadot Beaujelais.

[/ QUOTE ]

good one..

pokerjo22
05-05-2005, 02:05 PM
You know the West Coasters will have a completely different take on this question to the East Coasters right? ($10 West Coast = $20 East Coast)

sfer
05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know the West Coasters will have a completely different take on this question to the East Coasters right? ($10 West Coast = $20 East Coast)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I really hope this is a joke. Yellowtail is swill. There are much better wines for the price.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 03:58 PM
I think it's close. You know of a place in NYC to get CA wines at CA prices?

sfer
05-05-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's close. You know of a place in NYC to get CA wines at CA prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just CA wine. European wine tends to be slightly cheaper here.

pokerjo22
05-05-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

For Boston to SF it is. I try not to think about NYC whenever possible.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Ahhhh. I need to edjumicate myself on European wines, I guess.

Skipbidder
05-05-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please share the best tasting economy wine/champagne (<$10)

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't find it at Walmart, but Charles Shaw is quite cheap. I think you need to go to Trader Joe's for it.
$2.99 a bottle in the Chicago area. Apparently $1.99 in California. If you have Trader Joe's in your area and haven't yet shopped there, I would highly recommend it. All kinds of goodies there.

I don't know jack about wine (being a beer snob instead), but some of my friends do. They are pleasantly surprised about the quality of Charles Shaw and consider it to be very good value for the money.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Unless this year's vintage had cocaine mixed in with it your friends have never been more wrong.

Porcupine
05-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Concho y Toro (Chilean) is very good.

There are 3 different lines, but all are economy priced, I prefer the Casillero del Diablo line.

I've tried the cabernet sauvignion with merlot, cabernet sauvignion and the merlot.

I've only had Yellowtail Merlot, but it was good.

Skipbidder
05-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Fair enough. They might be way wrong. They certainly do a good job of SOUNDING like they know what they are talking about, however. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I buy wine with a screw off top and mix it with liquor and fruit, so I don't have anything riding on this one.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Yum. Sangria.

Mars357
05-05-2005, 04:40 PM
I know the wine snobs will all be bitching about this one but as far a good, inexpensive,everyday type wine, my wife and I really like Riunite Lambrusco. It's great tasting wine and is usually around 5 bucks at the local supermarket. Slightly sweet, it also has a very very light sparkle...

A hearty 'Cheers and [censored] YOU' to all the snobs that are about to flame me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mars

PokerNoob
05-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Columbia Crest (Washington State) Merlot at $7 is the current house swill.

Here's the thing about wine. Its almost impossible to make a bad bottle anymore, particularly new world reds (and whites too, really) in a modern winery. The technology that goes into the viticulture and production almost precludes it. Something with a cute animal on the label isn't likely to be complex or structured, but if you just want a correct, fruit forward wine, its going to be difficult to go wrong. It is possible to get meh wine from old world places like France where weather has more of an effect on a vintage. If you're an American, you also have to deal with a weak dollar when looking at European wine.

Edit: I'm talking about dry table wines, not the stuff they call "specialty" e.g. fruit infused, sweet, sparkling, etc.

HDPM
05-05-2005, 05:03 PM
I have been drinking a lot of $10-$15 wines recently. I avoid stuff like yellowtail generally, but had a glass of their shiraz at a restaurant recently and it was alright. Anyway, if you look a little, there are a bunch of good $10 california red blends or zins. These may not be readily available in grocery stores. I have also picked up some decent cheap good with food spanish wines recently. One was $5 and was pretty drinkable with food. Young and simple, but it goes w/ stuff. More hit and miss maybe, but more upside than a mass market gooey fruity thing.

ClassicBob
05-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Carlo Rossi (http://www.carlorossi.com/home.htm)

"I like talking about my wine, but I'd rather drink it." - Carlo Rossi

tpir90036
05-05-2005, 05:23 PM
1) Little Penguin - just started carrying it in my neck of the woods. It's Austrailain... I first tried it at the Food and Wine festival at Epcot last fall. Good stuff.

http://www.thelittlepenguin.com/wines/index.html

2) Concha y Toro - Chilean budget wine.

Stupendous_Man
05-06-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Alice White is better.

Stupendous_Man
05-06-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything Yellowtail.

P.S. I got my RFC watch

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried the Alice White? IMO, it's better than Yellowtail.

Stupendous_Man
05-06-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Barefoot Zinfandel - Trader Joe's = $4.99

[/ QUOTE ]

Two buck Chuck ($2.99 actually @ Trader Joe's). It's probably the best tasting wine I've had under $5.

Stupendous_Man
05-06-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard of three buck chuck. What's the actual name of the stuff? I've heard that the story goes that some winery got bought out by a bigger company, just for the name rights and wound up with a ton of the old winery's stuff and they decided to sell it all in $3 bottles.

Anyone know if that's true?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a number of rumors out there on why the price is $2.99. The only one I've heard that makes any kind of sense is that Trader Joe's bought the winery. I think someone once told me that you can read the story of two buck chuck at the Trader Joe's web site. I've never checked it out.

Charles Shaw

Stupendous_Man
05-06-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is a fifty dollar bottle of wine really that much better than a well-chosen ten dollar bottle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Buy a bottle of Cakebread and a bottle of Yellowtail or some other $10 bottle of wine. You'll notice a major difference.

This isn't to say I wouldn't drink a $10 bottle of wine, just that if money wasn't an object, I'd take the Cakebread every day of the week! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stupendous_Man
05-06-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One on my favorites though is Rosemount Shiraz, which you can get at Costco for like $8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't had the Rosemount Shiraz, but have had the cab/merlot blend and it's good.

jakethebake
05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One on my favorites though is Rosemount Shiraz, which you can get at Costco for like $8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't had the Rosemount Shiraz, but have had the cab/merlot blend and it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're better known for the Shiraz, but I really prefer the Cab Sav.

stankybank
05-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Trader Joe's. Merlot. $2.99.