PDA

View Full Version : Help with PC's networking

NeoGeo
05-05-2005, 12:17 AM
I've just got my new Dell Dimension with Windows XP running. I have an old laptop running Windows 2000. Both of my PC's are using Linksys routers to get on internet.

Now, how do I get these 2 pc see each other so I can migrate my good ole poker stuffs to new machine?

I appreciate your tips!

vulturesrow
05-05-2005, 12:43 AM
First off, two routers is pointless.

Anyhow, are the routers wireless?

fluxrad
05-05-2005, 01:27 AM
[pc1]----[router]-----[pc2]

router = 10.0.0.1
pc1 = 10.0.0.2
pc2 = 10.0.0.3

q.e.d.

NeoGeo
05-05-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's Linksys Wireless B router

mason55
05-05-2005, 01:30 AM
If both computers are plugged into the same router...

Go to the computer with your data. Open a command prompt (Start->run->type CMD). Then type "ipconfig" and hit return. This will give you your ip for the computer with your data.

Go to computer number two. Open up my computer, go to the address bar and type \\your.ip.address.here\c$
Type in your administrator login and password when asked. Then you can get yoru poker data.

vulturesrow
05-05-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's Linksys Wireless B router

[/ QUOTE ]

well I have to get to bed but look at flux's diagram. I am assuming you have some ports on the router for a wired connection. Hook up your desktop that way. Set up your wireless connection in accordance with your owner's manual. I recommend turning off SSID broadcast. Make sure both computers are connecting to the internet. Then run the network wizard on the XP machine. Follow the directions, make a network setup disk when prompted, then use it on your latptop.

NeoGeo
05-05-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[pc1]----[router]-----[pc2]

router = 10.0.0.1
pc1 = 10.0.0.2
pc2 = 10.0.0.3

q.e.d.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused, what I do I need to do here?

NeoGeo
05-05-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If both computers are plugged into the same router...

Go to the computer with your data. Open a command prompt (Start->run->type CMD). Then type "ipconfig" and hit return. This will give you your ip for the computer with your data.

Go to computer number two. Open up my computer, go to the address bar and type \\your.ip.address.here\c$
Type in your administrator login and password when asked. Then you can get yoru poker data.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the same message box from both PC.......

Windows cannod find "xxx.xxx.x.xxx\c$

touchfaith
05-05-2005, 05:00 AM
What a bunch of terrible advice...how did any of you find your way to the internet?

There's no one line answer. You need find a support site and read up on the basics of windows connections.

For starters, with one XP and one 2K, I'm guessing that the workgroup names do not match.

Too many variables.