PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo's Intelligent Gambler article

11-21-2002, 05:01 PM
I loved the article in IG, I just got it today. I just recently got in an argument with someone who was saying that nine ball was the most skillful of pool games. I obviously disagreed, as I believe there are many more games where you have to be a mechanic to get around the table in the correct way. Obviously straight pool is one of them. My favorite game though is 8-ball. Anyway, a couple questions for you. When you were a road player, did you use house cues or did you use your own. If you used your own, what did you shoot? These questions are all kinda silly, but I'm interested, the final one is: What was the best table you've ever shot on?

Gavin

p.s. I shoot with my own cue, it's hand made by a shooter at my home hall in the Chicago area named Adrianne Viguera. He's a nationally renowned billiards player, but his specialty is artistic billiards. The best tables I've played on are Kim Steele. Anyway, just wondering. Love your stories!

Jimbo
11-21-2002, 05:33 PM
Thanks 2005, 9-Ball is far from the most skillful game, in fact it is rather low on the food chain. Money players like it for one reason, because it is quick. Similiar to one of differences between online poker and B&M. My best game these days would be 8Ball on a bar table, although I haven't hit a ball in over 2 years.

To answer your other questions: I always had my personal que with me but I used my judgement as to whether or not to carry it inside initially, retrieve it later or play off the rack. Most of the time I could beat any contenders with a house cue as easily as with my Joss. If using my cue had any additional value I used it or if the match was difficult I used it. One of the "tells" I looked for in a bar would be anyone with their own cue. I was guaranteed action when I found a player under these circumstances. My cue of choice is a Joss West but I have owned many different ones in my life, Vikings, Adams, custom cues, and others. Joss makes the best for my style of play. The best table would be an old Brunswick but not one in particular. I love the wood carving, leather pockets and not being able to disturb the balls with vibration.

Thanks again Gavin!

BruceZ
11-21-2002, 05:39 PM
I use a cheap $35 cue from Sportmart. I've had it for years and never take it out of the trunk of my car no matter if it's 100 degrees out or 20 below. It has never warped, not even a little. I have had expensive cues that warped more when I've taken good care of them.

Jimbo
11-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Good point Bruce,

I have often had more money tied up in my cue case than some people paid for their entire ensemble! It is normally personal preference and psychological more than materially valuable. As a side note I had numerous offers for the last 8 point Joss West I owned and turned down as much as $2000.

BruceZ
11-21-2002, 05:52 PM
What do you think of the graphite cues they have now? Seems like a pretty good idea. They stay smooth, don't absorb oil from your hand, and probably don't warp much.

Jimbo
11-21-2002, 05:57 PM
I know a few of today's Pros who use graphite for a break cue but not for normal shot making. Personally give me an inlaid wood cue with a stainless steel screw and irish linen wrap and I am happy.

HDPM
11-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Ooooh, Joss West is nice. Nicest cues I have seen IMO. Doesn't matter for me, I can't make a ball, but I still want a Joss West. We made an offer on a house with a basement big enough for an 8' table. If we get the house I will get a Brunswick 8' home table with Centennial balls. Not a Gold Crown, but the Brunswick home tables seem OK. I might need you to come show me how to make a ball Jimbo. I am a little worried though, I have 2 cues in a George case. They have not been out in a long time, so I dragged them out thinking I might get a table in a little while. The Huebler and both shafts looked fine, but I have an old Hoppe that got stuck in the case. The excessively large butt of the Hoppe slipped below the rim of the case (It goes joint down in there) and I can't pull it out. D'Oh. Any ideas? The shaft was wedged in there next to it too, so I am worried about it. The original shaft was cracked when I got the cue, so I had a new shaft made by a pretty good cuemaker for it. It has a unique taper which helps playing billiards a little. Anyway, have any ideas that willl spare both the case and the cue?

Jimbo
11-21-2002, 06:17 PM
Wish I was there to help extricate the cue from your case HDPM. I might suggest some silicone spray and remove the shaft first, best I can think of off hand. I had a home table for two years during my life. My friends played on it more than I ever did, it became a curse!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Along with the table I had an arcade size Ms Pacman machine, two pinballs, an old Wurlitzer Juke box and a dartboard. Many good parties at my house in those days! You would have loved my juke box collection of 45's, plenty of Golden Oldies.

11-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Bruce,

My personal opinion on Graphite/Fiberglass cues follows. They are resistant from warping, true, but that's not an incredibly important factor when I'm looking for a cue. I try to get a cue with a good, solid shaft that will get me plenty of action. This is non existant in fiberglass or graphite cues. They also have a good amount of deflection when shooting, which is, by the way, a bad thing. Jimbo mentions that he likes a cue with a stainless steel screw, which is nice, but the one I shoot with uses a polymer screw in a wood base, with a wood to wood joint. Mine has no wrap, but I used to shoot a J. Pechauer that had a stainless steel screw and linen wrap. I have also shot with a Joss and they are great cues. They're a little out of my price range though.

Gavin

11-21-2002, 07:36 PM
Just wondering Jimbo, I know you're located on Planet Earth, but could you give more specifics? I would be interested in shooting a little with you if I was ever in your neck of the woods.

Gain

Jimbo
11-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Oklahoma. Also you mentioned deflection which is a very good point. That is the problem I have with many cues and is why I prefer either a SS joint/screw or wood to wood is excellent as well. One of my favorite cues was a Lil Hustler with perfect balance, almost no deflection, straight as an arrow and not at all ostentatious.

HDPM
11-21-2002, 08:23 PM
Is the handmade cue you have a billiard cue since it was made by a billiard player? I had a Helmstetter billiard cue with the weird billiard joint- i.e. the screw was turned out of the wood on the shaft and was really thick; the shaft had the extreme taper for solidity too. It was rock solid, zero deflection. I wish I didn't get rid of it even though I have not seen a billiard table in the state where I live. It wasn't useful for pool particularly, but that's what the pool cue was for. My pool cue is a stainless screw and joint, but has the wood to wood kind of fit, rather than the traditional metal insert and nipple in the shaft. It is pretty solid, but no Joss West. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Ray Zee
11-21-2002, 10:14 PM
HDPM, try vasoline on your butt-- - --hahahahaha, it may work. or use a spreader clamp to open the hole a little so you can get it out past the rim.
if the case is leather use a hair dryer to heat it and it should spread some for you.

BruceZ
11-21-2002, 10:22 PM
Oklahoma?! I heard the only thing to come from there was steers and queers. Which one are you boy? I don't see no horns...

Ray Zee
11-21-2002, 10:23 PM
i have an old balabuska he made for me long before zamboni ever worked for him in new york still looks brand new. also a 30 year old joss west from billy stroud that looks kinda like an old rambo stick. i still have an old frank paradise cheap model he made for me just before he died. i never liked frank. his employee Balner moved a few doors down the street in elizabeth n.j. and opened palmer cues. then he died later on and his son took over his name was pete i think.
for bars i used a house stick that i had balner put a joint on it to make it two piece. i still have that one also.
even with all the great cues i still scratch in the side pocket.

BruceZ
11-21-2002, 10:25 PM
This doesn't sound like a hard problem. You just hold one end of the case between your heels, take hold of your shaft, and give it a few jerks until it comes free. Or you might try to pull your butt out first.

HDPM
11-21-2002, 10:37 PM
You guys are hilarious. Ask a stupid but legitimate question and this is what I get....

BruceZ
11-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Hey I was serious. I've used this method to pull my shaft out plenty of times.

HDPM
11-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Given the fact youse guys suggested hot air, grease, surgical instruments, and techniques designed to appeal to anonymous posters' prurient interests, I looked at the problem again and figured it out. I sort of went opposite to the z thinking figuring the solution would be more sensible and would entail less clean up. The solution entailed 1 phillips screwdriver and a minimum amout of force. No chemicals, no mighty jerks. Not very exciting, but now the Hoppe is free again.

Jimbo
11-21-2002, 11:36 PM
Ray,

I didn't know you were a pool player as well as a master poker player and author. Nothing like being well rounded! Those cues are some very nice merchandise. Billy made my Joss as well, his were the very best! I have owned Palmers as well in my youth! Funny how it is so much easier to scratch in the side than pocket a ball there huh?

Ray Zee
11-22-2002, 12:11 AM
yea i played all around the east coast and northwest. they all fell prey to me even though i couldnt beat most without the big spots i got. many of the big names went down and never knew my name. and all the hometown champs got drowned.

Jimbo
11-22-2002, 12:24 AM
Very sweet Ray! Glad I played the southwest circuit and never had to beat you! LOL I really wish we had run across one another, you seem like a real interesting fellow. Other than those things SPM says about you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11-22-2002, 06:59 AM
No, it's not a billiard cue. The billiard player makes pool cues /forums/images/icons/grin.gif It's a Joey Gold Shaft, I think it's a 13.5 mm tip or so. Mostly plain cue with no wrap. I love the joints he puts on his cues, they are spectacular. I've tried billiards a few times, I'm not so good at it, but I'm slowly getting better and I get good spots when I play, so it works out. Anyway, this guy Adrian has made cues for alot of the poeple in my area and they hit as good as any cue I've ever shot with. Man, this thread is really making me want to be back home.

Gavin

11-22-2002, 07:01 AM
Jimbo, we might not be so far from eachother, I live in the Fort Worth, Texas area while I'm finishing up my senior year at TCU. It would be interesting to meet you at sometime, but I'll settle for listening to the good stories you tell. Maybe I'll see you around!

Gavin

HDPM
11-23-2002, 11:22 PM
Yep, got my Intelligent Gambler today - I was on the list and didn't know. Good article Jimbo.