PDA

View Full Version : x-post: NL ring , turned str8 against possible boat, what's the line?

The Student
05-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey STTers, I just posted this on the small stakes NL forum, but thought I'd solicit your advice too. First time I've played a NL ring game, but feel free to be critical.

thanks in advance,

ts-

------------------------------------------------------

Hi -

I was playing some NL in Vegas this weekend and this hand is from a $1/$2 table at the Monte Carlo hotel with a buy-in of $100 - $200. This hand was played at around 6 in the morning, but I had recently sat down at the table, so minimal reads. But from what I could tell, there was a lot of limping with small PPs and marginal paint cards (like K/10 off). The table wasn't passive after the flop, though, and we had seen some big pots. I'm not sure of stack sizes here, but I'd say that all players in the hand have between $200 and $300.

I'm in the SB with Jd/Kc, and I complete after 2 MP players limp in. The BB checks.

Flop: Ah/Ac/10d (pot = $8)
I check it, and it gets checked around behind me.

Turn: Qd (pot = $8)
Okay, so I make my nut straight, but there's still the possibility that someone is beating me. I'm not worried about A/Q, because I think it would have been raised PF, but it's possible that there is A/10 and even 10/10 are out there. Besides that, there is now a flush draw on the board too.

In this situation, I figured I was either way ahead (maybe someone was sitting on an ace and wanted to trap by checking the flop) or way behind (A/10 trapping), so I checked the turn too.

Does anyone bet this here? If so, how much and what do you do facing a re-raise?

Anyways, I check and the BB bets out $25. This is an overbet for a pot of $8, but similar hands with a few limpers were being overbet on the flop and turn (most bets in a pot of limpers were around $15 or $20, though, so $25 is still high). I was surprised to see both MP players call the $25, and now I figured that I should just call the $25 and see what happens on the river. I didn't want to check-raise here because I didn't have any reads on the BB and wasn't sure if he was betting for value or what. I was very confused about the callers - One of them could have an ace, or could be waiting to raise with the nutz on the river, but I couldn't put both of them on a flush draw, so I just called.

River: 7c (pot = $108)
So the flush draw is a bust, and the only thing I'm worried about here is the the boat. What's my line here?

This weekend was my first time playing NL ring games (I usually play STTs), so any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

ts-

The Student
05-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Come on, a little help here please? /images/graemlins/frown.gif