PDA

View Full Version : Argh!

ilya
05-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t820)
CO (t1170)
Button (t730)
SB (t3550)
BB (t260)
Hero (t1030)
MP1 (t440)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t475) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button is all in for 530...

With no special read on the button, do you feel up to calling? Or do you just fold and go cry in a corner?

John Paul
05-04-2005, 09:01 PM
I would fold unless you have some special read on the button. It could be a bluff - no A - but I would not take the risk.

durron597
05-04-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't think you're getting away from this, not getting 2:1. If you lead the flop you lose to an Ace and make non-Aces fold, but any two will likely bet that flop. So the best you can do is play it like you did and call the allin.

Note: this is different than the KK hand that I just posted (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2316787&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1) because it's significantly less likely here that we are up against an Ace (JMHO).

John Paul
05-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Durron,
I don't follow this exactly. I figured that the button was not desperate to call pre-flop, so he must have had something when he called. He could have a PP or KQ or similar cards, but given the play I would guess that an Ax, with x being on the high side is the most likely. Why do you think an A is less likely?

Phill S
05-04-2005, 09:13 PM
id bet the flop. you bet 200 prefop, so bet another 200.

if he calls, so be it. but just cos you dont have an ace, doesnt mean he does. plus if he does, your putting a lot of pressure on him to call. he may do the clever thing and fold to your 'AK'.

if he calls, give it up, but even checking to him you may see the next two for that price and chance a re-draw.

if you check, just wave goodbye to that pot, whether he has you or not. i follow the brunson school of thought that says follow up preflop bets even if you miss the flop (within obvious limits, such as being short in chips if you bet and if you are facing more than one opponant).

Phill

Freudian
05-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Without a read this is a coinflip. Overbet usually means he just wants to take it down. But on the other hand he is short and more likely to call with any Ace. I'd probably call more often than not here.

I would probably push no matter what I had there, if I was in Villains position. But I wouldn't call preflop.

durron597
05-04-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Durron,
I don't follow this exactly. I figured that the button was not desperate to call pre-flop, so he must have had something when he called. He could have a PP or KQ or similar cards, but given the play I would guess that an Ax, with x being on the high side is the most likely. Why do you think an A is less likely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Less likely that the hand that I linked (I raised with KK, and had 3 callers and a lead-out bet). I meant that relatively speaking only.