PDA

View Full Version : Worst Sports Fans

11-21-2002, 02:51 PM
I've been a sports fan for nearly 50 years and unfounded or not have been led to the impression that Philadelphia fans are among the most ill-mannered. i don't know, I've never been there nor do I intend to go. i can't imagine however, that they can be worse then the fans in St Louis. I went to a "Carnal" game as they sat there and I have never been exposed to cruder people. It was like a bunch of drunken Hee-Haw types shooting off there mouths about things they knew nothing about. I know St Louis is in Missouri but I never expected anything like this. Any opinions ?

Ryan_21
11-21-2002, 02:54 PM
"shooting off there mouths about things they knew nothing about"

Well well Jerry, you may have found a home, b/c you sure would fit in with that type of crowd.

Ryan_21

marbles
11-21-2002, 03:26 PM
"worst sports fans" depends on your definition of a good/bad sports fan. The Eagles and Cardinals may not have the most refined, polite fans, but they still support their teams through thick and thin (see attendance records, licensed product sales over the years). I'd take these guys over cuddly bandwagon riders any day (see also: Minnesota Twins fans).

M2d
11-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Worst fans ever. I think Boris is the only A's fan, and the Raiders fans are worse than you can imagine. Can't blame people from staying away from the warriors, though.

Homer
11-21-2002, 04:26 PM
Homer J's opinion...

Philly fans rock. They stick with their teams through thick and (mainly) thin. So they cheer as Michael Irvin lies motionless on the ground. Big deal. He's a freaking cocaine snorting Cowboy (oh let me be more specific...he's a wide receiver). So they boo their own team. Hey, they deserve to get booed when they play like crap. I didn't pay no hundred bucks for this ticket to sit quietly while my team gets its ass kicked. Okay, enough ranting.

Generally speaking, the quality of a town's fans is inversely proportional to the town's distance from Maine.

Or, if you prefer, the quality of a town's fans is inversely proportional to the average yearly temperature of the town.

Warning: Homer is a Philadelphia sports fan. His opinions may be slightly biased. Additionally, any reference made to NYC having quality fans was entirely untrue.

-- Homer J.

11-21-2002, 05:16 PM
Philly is the greatest, most progressive sports town in the world - what other city had the foresight to set up a criminal court in the stadium to deal with all of the criminal acitvity that takes place during a three hour game - truly brilliant. Perhaps Green Bay should set up a similar court in Lambeau to deal with all the idiots who urinate in the sinks instead of waiting in line for the urinals. What's happened to the die hard packer fans who used to get so drunk at the games that they couldn't get up, thus they just went in their snowmobile suits.

11-21-2002, 05:19 PM
Ryan 21 - take a look in the mirror prior to critizing anyone's posts. Jerry does not always make the most sense, but he also hasn't spent the better part of 2 weeks ranking Tupac as one of the 10 most influential men of the 20th century. Those who live in glass houses - Ryan!

IrishHand
11-21-2002, 06:00 PM
all the idiots who urinate in the sinks

What's wrong with that? We also wash our filthy hands in the sinks. Damn...next thing you know they'll complain about pissing in the shower.

11-21-2002, 07:54 PM
Homer you're a homer. Good for you. Packer fans are extremely loyal and alot of fun also. On another post you once asked what's inside the g on the Packer logo. Did you ever get an answer.

Ryan_21
11-21-2002, 08:33 PM
Well let me see. There are 10 decades in a century, and the hip hop generation (90's) was one of the decades. And Tupac is widely regarded as the most influential rapper of all time and the most influential figure of the hip hop generation. So, logically, since his generation was 1/10 of the century and he is the most imfluential figure of his generation, if you had to pick one person per decade, I would say his impact on his generation would have to put him in the top 10 of the 20th century.

Ryan_21

HDPM
11-21-2002, 08:34 PM
If you're a Badger fan you can be proud. All the Badger fans I ran across were wild and had fun, but it was positive. I hope your name is at least in part a tribute to a guy who could coach, particularly the power play. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11-21-2002, 08:42 PM
I feel guilty about using the name but I am from Wisco and my name is Bob. Yes I knew Bob Johnson as well as his wife Martha and sons Mark and Peter. They are Wisconsin Hockeys first family. Think of the WCHA coach's who played for him.
Talafous, Eaves, Gwozdecky, Mark Johnson. He was the greatest. May he RIP

11-21-2002, 08:56 PM
without a doubt in my mind are boston bruins fans. i was at a bruins canadiens game where denis savard got knocked out on the ice and was unconscious for five or ten minutes. when they carried him off on a stretcher the bruins fans booed.

Pat

HDPM
11-21-2002, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I met him a few times when I was a kid and my father knew him pretty well because he was involved with the WCHA and NCAA stuff. We had a dinner scheduled with him and his son Mark during the '79 sports festival, i.e the Olympic tryouts. Mark got food poisoning or something and we had to cancel. But he did make the Olympic team needless to say. It is sort of funny because that's where I got my interest in golf. We were sitting around at the Broadmoor talking to Bob and I saw people playing golf. What a disaster that was for me. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Homer
11-21-2002, 09:23 PM
I never said anything bad about Packers fans...I don't get it. No I never did get an answer. I looked at the logo and all I saw was a big G.

Boris
11-21-2002, 10:29 PM
actually there is one other A's Fan. my good buddy Adam (name is changed to protect the guilty). Adam grew up in PHilly so he is also a Phan of all things PHilly. two years ago me and Adam went to the home opener against the Angels. There was a particularly obnoxious Angels fan sitting behind us. Me and Adam were drunk but Adam was really drunk as a skunk. Sometime around the sixth inning that prick Jason Giambi comes to the plate for Oakland. Adam leans over to me and says "Borish, I swear to god if Giambi jacks one out of here I'm gonna throw my beer on that Angel's fan. Who does he think he is coming into our house like this?" Well Giambi didn't hit a home run but he did bounce a double off the right field fence. That was close enough for Adam so he threw his beer on the Angels fan and we left shortly thereafter /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

John Cole
11-22-2002, 01:20 AM
Ryan,

I'm dying to hear the other nine and your reasoning for your selections.

John

11-22-2002, 06:40 AM
You're right about Boston fans. We used to be respected, but those days are over.

But I don't go to games any more. It has become accepted practice that a ticket to a sporting event is a license to act like a rude, crude, maurauding idiot.

When did this happen? When did we decide that it's OK to shout at people? Call them names? Threaten them with violence? Throw things at them?

Not a game is played, where I don't see somebody doing something that would get them arrested in any other context.

A buddy of mine told me about his 8-year-old daughter's soccer game. The officials were two 14-year-old girls. One of the parents disagreed with a call, and was riding this girl something fierce. After several minutes of this, the girl official took a knee at mid-field. Everyone thought she was injured...she was crying! This parent reduced a 14-year-old girl to tears.

Here's the best part: when confronted by other parents, this guy couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. He thought that's how you're SUPPOSED to act when watching a game!

Another friend told me about the time he brought his little nephew to a Rangers/Islanders game at the Garden. The kid wore his Islanders jersey. GROWN MEN felt the need to threaten this kid. How lost-touch-with-reality is that??

I recently attended my first Memphis Riverkings game. I don't think anyone in the audience had the first clue about the game of hockey. They'd cheer the goals, hits, and fights, but had no appreciation for anything else that was happening. No harm in that.

But whenever the home team was called for a penalty, several members of my section had to give the ref an earful. No matter how obvious it was that the call was RIGHT, they still felt the need to shout obscenities, and threaten bodily harm.

Why is that considered acceptable? I just don't get it.

Can't you be a sports fan, without checking your brain at the door? What's wrong with watching a game, and being content to watch passively? Why do these idiots think that they are somehow "involved" with what's happening on the field?

I've got news for all the hecklers who think that they're entertaining their section: Nobody paid money for parking and admission to come to the arena to see YOU. So sit down, and shut up!

Bobby

youtalkfunny
11-22-2002, 06:43 AM

11-22-2002, 12:45 PM
LET IT GO! The posters on this subject already told you how ridiculous this argument is

andyfox
11-22-2002, 01:03 PM
A few years ago, I went to a Phoenix Suns game. They played Sacramento; this was before Sacramento got good. The Suns were big favorite. Just before half-time, the score was 63-34 Sacramento. The crowd was in stunned disbelief. Yet, no booing, no jeering.

Finally, a woman sitting next to me got up and yelled, "C'mon fellas, let's try a little harder." Not quite the comment you'd probably get here in L.A. or elsewhere.

Then the crowd has a wonderful time at half-time; they particularly loved it when the gorilla shoots t-shirts up to the cheap seats with an air gun and trampolines himself to do dunks.

Second half was more of the same, but no booing and when we left with about 5 minutes to go, just about 100% of the fans were still there, despite the game being hopelessly out of reach for the Suns.

Ryan_21
11-22-2002, 01:06 PM
"The posters on this subject already told you how ridiculous this argument is"

Are you telling me that there opinion is more important than anyone elses? Of course the opinions on this board are going to be biased. You and others failed to realize that most people on this board are in their late 20's or older so they are going to have a biased opinion.

If my views on Tupacs importants were posted on a hip hop board they would be highly regarded as true.

Tupac is a Hip hop legend, the only rapper of the hip hop generation that has an Icon status. The events of his life/his work/his death, are almost like a fairy tale.

Go to any music store and see how many movies that glorify his existence have been made about him, how many books have been wrote about him.

BTW, he has a new cd coming out on Nov. 26. His last cd that came out 2 years ago sold over 5 million albums and this new one will probably sell over 5 million also.

That alone should tell you how big his legend is. He's been gone 6 1/2 years and he can still sell more records than any rapper today.

Ryan_21

11-22-2002, 01:28 PM
On the inside of the G is a meathook. The Packers were originally Sponsered by the ACme Packing company who provided $250 for uniforms. The meathook has always been there even tho most Packer fans aren't aware of it. Go up to one and bet a drink that yhey don't know. They will be delighted by the info and will buy beer as well as brandy

11-22-2002, 01:42 PM
The nicest fans must be the Minnesota Gopher fans. Last week after stomping on the Gophers the Iowa fans tore down the goalposts and left the Metrodome with them. The Gopher fans just watched. I cannot think of another place where the opponents would be allowed to destroy home team property. Maybe the gopher fans should change uniform colors, from maroon and gold to maroon and yellow.

HDPM
11-22-2002, 02:03 PM
Funny both Wisconsin and Minnesota fans mentioned. I am not familiar w/ Gopher football, but their hockey fans have always been great IME. Except maybe for the sieve throwing.