PDA

View Full Version : When can you tell someone's on tilt playing online?

11-21-2002, 02:28 PM
When playing online, how do you tell someone's playing on tilt?

Would you say a player's on tilt when they make a stupid play, or overbetting with top pair/ second pair?

I can tell the bad players typically by their starting hands, but I find it hard to tell when players are on tilt.

Al Schoonmaker
11-21-2002, 03:46 PM
You cannot tell that someone is on tilt from one hand or even a few hands. You need a consistent pattern of stupid actions, especially maniacal ones.

In addition, you need to compare his current play to his play at other times. If he has just played several hands in a row in a stupid way, but he always plays that way, he is NOT on tilt. He's just a bad player.

Al

11-21-2002, 04:20 PM
Big tell obviously is how they're chatting. Anyone that gets chased down and won't stop b*tching about it for the next 5 hands is getting steamed

riffraff
11-21-2002, 04:38 PM
If you play online for a long time you will certainly play with some of the same people a lot. You will start to know which ones are capable of going on tilt. After taking a beat they'll overplay their hands badly, chase rediculous draws etc.

But like Al said.. some times people are just playing their "normal" game which might be so bad it could be confused with "tilt".

DeezNuts
11-21-2002, 07:20 PM
This is EXACTLY why I prefer playing live to online. So much of a player's personality, mood, etc is picked up by being there in person that you can't tell online. I can't even keep track of people getting up and sitting down online. Stick to the B&M games, there is just so much you hear and see(not to say you can't deduce ANYTHING online).

DN

adios
11-22-2002, 07:12 AM
IMO although you can't know for sure you can often anticipate it such that the odds are better than 50-50. If someone suffers even a normal suck out and they come out firing the next hand you can believe they're on tilt a great deal of time at least temporarily. Most poor players are prone to getting irritated when they lose a hand in which they were a favorite at some point.

PseudoPserious
11-22-2002, 06:42 PM
Whenever I get out-drawn by garbage, I *pray* for good cards the very next hand, so I can take advantage of the "he's on tilt" action I'm sure to get. It's soooo disappointing to get garbage and have to fold away such a nice opportunity /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

PP