PDA

View Full Version : Please make fun of my school's new nickname

gonores
05-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Marquette University changed their nickname today. A recent history can be found below.

1950s-1994 Marquette Warriors
1994-2005 Marquette Golden Eagles
5/4/2005-? Marquette Gold

Seriously. Give me some snappy one-liners I can use on the board members who made this decision when I see them later this month. I'm irate about this.

private joker
05-04-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't have a snappy one-liner just yet, but you can make something out of the analogy with Jewish immigrants who changed their names like Goldstein and Goldberg and Goldenthal to just plain Gold in order to be accepted. Say something like Marquette (a Catholic university in Wisconsin, right?) wanted to cover up their heritage (or not be mistaken with the college across town, the Beth Marquette Israel Goldsteins).

I dunno. Yeah, it's dumb. What was their ostensible reason for the name change?

Dynasty
05-04-2005, 08:05 PM
A quick thought- you could wear a t-shirt which says:

Marquette Gold - en showers.

IggyWH
05-04-2005, 08:14 PM
At least you're not Kent State... The Golden Flash

nolanfan34
05-04-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A quick thought- you could wear a t-shirt which says:

Marquette Gold - en showers.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner.

thirddan
05-04-2005, 08:54 PM
speaking of jews changing their names...
true story...

my family is jewish, from russia originally...
our name was goldberg, changed to GARGLE...thats right, my last name is GARGLE...it kinda sucks...

Duke
05-04-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
true story...

our name was goldberg, changed to GARGLE...thats right, my last name is GARGLE...it kinda sucks...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have replied to Dynasty instead.

~D

SackUp
05-04-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
true story...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you something to gargle on.

Damn you got Fvcked!

gvibes
05-04-2005, 10:00 PM
That really sucks. Now there are two teams whose sports name are singular.

Stanford Cardinal
Marquette Gold (god that sucks)

There may be more. I don't know.

Tom Crean sucks.

JcTc
05-04-2005, 10:09 PM
I am actually in the library right now writing a Public Opinion paper on Indian mascots, and part of it is about Marquette. Did you take that long-ass survey about the issue? Do you know if they make the results public?

Also, your school's nickname is almost as cool ours now (Blugolds).

shayneon
05-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Lame. I thought they would go back to old school, Warriors.

I hope they still chant "Lets Go Warriors" at games. Gold is so bad I cant even think of a snappy one liner.

Marquette Tracey Gold?

istewart
05-04-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am actually in the library right now writing a Public Opinion paper on Indian mascots

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me you're not actually against Indian mascots, please.

Redmen62
05-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Re: Indian mascots

My hisghschool's team name is the Redmen (so named for the colour of their jerseys, but with a "Proud Warrior" Indian head mascot, similar to the Washington Redskins). In '99 or so, some local groups started making a fuss about the name, insisting be changed.

A student referendum was held on the subject. In a school where 10-20% of the students were of the supposedly insulted ancestry, the name was supported by 97% of the student body. Seems the people who find some the names/logos so insulting should ask those who they claim to speak for.

The Cleveland Indians logo on the other hand...

MEbenhoe
05-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Wow this is as dumb as Syracuse changing to the orange. What the hell was even the reason? At least Syracuse had some BS reason about it supposedly being sexist to women. Who the hell is Golden Eagles offending?

Marquette pisses me off more and more everyday. I may have to abandon them and only be able to root for UWM as my hometown team /images/graemlins/frown.gif

shayneon
05-04-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(Blugolds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I went to UWEC. I use a Blugolds pen at work. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JcTc
05-04-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me you're not actually against Indian mascots, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I started reading quite a bit about this topic, they were nothing more than a team name to me. After seeing how Native Americans are deeply hurt by derogatory names like "Redskins," and by white students running around in headdresses and other things that are sacred to their culture, it is not hard to see why they have such a problem with it.

MEbenhoe
05-04-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, your school's nickname is almost as cool ours now (Blugolds).

[/ QUOTE ]

UWL owns you.

JcTc
05-04-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(Blugolds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I went to UWEC. I use a Blugolds pen at work. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. I was born in Phoenix, and I am moving back out there after I graduate in December. Water Street rules.

Lazymeatball
05-04-2005, 10:27 PM
UMass has had mascot issues over the years. I believe they used to be called the Redmen or some indian based name with red in the title. It was then changed to the Minutemen to be less offensive. A couple years ago there was a proposal to change it to the Grey Wolves, of which I don't think we even have any in Mass. Also, the Grey Wolves is way too similar to The Huskies, the mascot of the dreaded nearby UConn. on top of that, what the hell was wrong with the Minutemen? damn hippies.

gvibes
05-04-2005, 10:32 PM
For the record, I am pro-Chief.

http://www.tisbookui.com/imagesui/2002348.jpg

kerssens
05-04-2005, 10:32 PM
My college changed from Chieftans (pretty cool) to Redhawks (lame).

DoubleDown
05-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Still hope for Marquette (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/3608358)

Victor
05-12-2005, 07:20 PM
tulane green wave

TStoneMBD
05-12-2005, 07:24 PM
marquette gold diggers
marquette golden buttnuggets