PDA

View Full Version : quality of late night players

Meatmaw
05-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Regarding the upper levels (50s, 100s, 200s)

Just how bad are the late night players, i.e. 11-3am Pacific time? I guess it's easy to reason that the more players online, the greater density of random token players, but I'm curious what the general makeup of the late night players is, i.e. are the U.S. ones mostly college students staying up until 6-7 in the morning?

Do any of you have extensive exposure to give any general insight on how much tougher the games are?

raptor517
05-04-2005, 08:12 PM
there are awful players at all times. however, i havent played a lot around 2am-5am cst, but when i have, i have seen some truly awful players. holla

TheUsher
05-04-2005, 08:46 PM
I still haven't switched back to US time after coming back from my vacation overseas so I've been playing those late night games a lot lately before I finally go to bed around 6am or something. If you even think about multi-tabling at all at those limits, good luck trying to practice game selection when there are only about 10 games TOTAL running at the 215's from about 2am and on. /images/graemlins/wink.gif 109's are barely better and the 55's games total about 109+215's combined. So far I'm doing pretty well at that time but then again, I'm just a luckbox. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you still want to play late at night, make sure you know all the regulars and practice some decent seat selection.

Meatmaw
05-04-2005, 09:04 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't know any regulars at the 100, or at least have strong reads on them. Do you basically look to sit to the right of maniacs and to the left of weakness? and altogether away from pros but if you had to pick, then to their left?

JP Rocks
05-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Being on the other side of the world, I usually play at around 4am EST. while this is only at lower levels (11s), it does seem like there are only 2 kinds of people who play at this time- either very good or very bad. The middle of the road people dont usually tend to be around, its only drunk/tired fools, or people who are playing at that hour on purpose (if that makes sense). It certainly makes for some interesting games...

TheUsher
05-04-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't know any regulars at the 100, or at least have strong reads on them. Do you basically look to sit to the right of maniacs and to the left of weakness? and altogether away from pros but if you had to pick, then to their left?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget about what you know about cash games and reverse it for SNG's. I'd much rather have the better players to MY left in this instance. If they're *really* good and capable of fully adjusting to the late game then I probably don't even want to sit with them in the future.

prunch
05-05-2005, 05:19 AM
Coming from Ireland I generally play about 11pm to 1am,i.e when all you people from america are finishing work, seems that there are most fish at this time,if I play during the day the competition is much stronger due to all the european players. Bad european poker players decide to go to work instead whereas bad american poker players think that there just having bad luck and that the spirit of Stu Unger lives inside, its just a matter of coaxing him out!!!!!

Blarg
05-05-2005, 06:01 AM
I don't know beans about the high games at all, but it often feels to me in my little games as though the play tightens up around 1 or 2 a.m. PST as the last of the U.S. players goes to sleep and starts loosening up around 5 a.m. again.

Just an anecdotal thing, but I often play around 1 and 2 a.m. PST, and it seems to strike me as being true over and over again.

Meatmaw
05-05-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather have the better players to MY left in this instance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this because you prefer to have players willing to fold many more pushes?

raptor517
05-05-2005, 06:28 AM
that, and you dont want people stealing from YOU. you want a walk in the blinds as often as possible. holla

Deuce2High
05-05-2005, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the upper levels (50s, 100s, 200s)

Just how bad are the late night players, i.e. 11-3am Pacific time? I guess it's easy to reason that the more players online, the greater density of random token players, but I'm curious what the general makeup of the late night players is, i.e. are the U.S. ones mostly college students staying up until 6-7 in the morning?

Do any of you have extensive exposure to give any general insight on how much tougher the games are?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experiences the late night players at the lower buyins are much tighter... I haven't really played enough to determine if there are more better players, but I have definatly noticed a tighter crowd in very late / early hours.

Blarg
05-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Ditto.

checkers777
05-06-2005, 02:56 PM
A few days ago I wondered the same thing, so I went back over my last 2 weeks of data (although the data set is still very small @ roughly 250 sngs) just to see if there was any potential truth to this.

Here are my results..
12:00 AM to 5:00 AM - 53.2% ITM
5:00 AM to 11:59 PM - 38.0% ITM

I'm sure these numbers are not 100% reliable but I'm pretty sure that it is much easier to beat these sng's during the early morning hours.

FieryJustice
05-06-2005, 04:49 PM
I usually play 10 PM - 6 AM CST for a reason...

Jcardshark

DonButtons
05-06-2005, 04:53 PM
well, I usually dont play the late night games (2am est+) because by 3-3:30am, it seems like every table has the same 10 people in them, and the play is very tight early/and a huge shortstack/push fest in the late stages. This is for 200s btw.

FieryJustice
05-06-2005, 05:48 PM
I agree they are most of the same people but they are the same awful people. There are usually 3 or 4 solid players and 6 horrible ones, at least from what I can tell. But what does my opinion matter? I'm going to be broke in a year anyways.

Jcardshark

raptor517
05-06-2005, 05:51 PM
if yer broke in a year ill bankroll you for the 10+1s, dont worry /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

Blarg
05-06-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few days ago I wondered the same thing, so I went back over my last 2 weeks of data (although the data set is still very small @ roughly 250 sngs) just to see if there was any potential truth to this.

Here are my results..

I'm sure these numbers are not 100% reliable but I'm pretty sure that it is much easier to beat these sng's during the early morning hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your results from 12 midnight to 2:00 a.m. vs. your 2:00 a.m. to 5 a.m. figures?

During the former chunk of time, you still have many U.S. players, but I think you probably have proportionately very few after that.

TheUsher
05-06-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Here are my results..

[/ QUOTE ]

What level is this?