PDA

View Full Version : playing the board.. do the cards speak?

lighterjobs
05-04-2005, 06:55 PM
$6-$12 hold'em game. I hold 66 on the button and there are two limpers. I raise and BB calls as do both early limpers. Flop comes 345 rainbow. check, check I bet. BB folds and two calls. turn (345)2. mp1 bets, fold and I raise, mp1 calls. river (3452)6. mp1 checks and I turn over my straight on the board. the mp1 says "i'm playing the board" and mucks his cards. what should the floor do?

edit- I meant to put that the other player thought I just had a set of sixes, where he had a pair and dind't see the straight on the board and tossed his cards.

DemonDeac
05-04-2005, 07:00 PM
go about with their jobs
totally legal move

stabn
05-04-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$6-$12 hold'em game. I hold 66 on the button and there are two limpers. I raise and BB calls as do both early limpers. Flop comes 345 rainbow. check, check I bet. BB folds and two calls. turn (345)2. mp1 bets, fold and I raise, mp1 calls. river (3452)6. mp1 checks and I turn over my straight on the board. the mp1 says "i'm playing the board" and mucks his cards. what should the floor do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically, split the pot. There are rooms that will make you show your hand in a situation like this if you want to be eligable for your portion of the pot, but the default ruling is that the pot is split.

AngusThermopyle
05-04-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the mp1 says "i'm playing the board" and mucks his cards.....

edit- I meant to put that the other player thought I just had a set of sixes, where he had a pair and dind't see the straight on the board and tossed his cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one? Both cannot be true.

bobbyi
05-04-2005, 07:26 PM
If he mucked his cards without tabling them, he is not entitled to any of the pot. Similarly, if someone only shows one of their cards and mucks the other, he is not entitled to anything even if that one card gives him the best hand (or a chop).

Jeffage
05-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Depends on the cardroom. In AC, a player must turn up both his cards to receive any portion of the pot in this situation. In Las Vegas (at least at Bellagio), if a player declares he's playing the board...he can muck his cards. Ask the floorperson.

Jeff

AngusThermopyle
05-04-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he mucked his cards without tabling them, he is not entitled to any of the pot..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, this is one of those quirky rules that is in conflict with the "normal rules". It's in Robert's Rules. I'm not happy with it, but apparently many rooms use the rule.

juanez
05-05-2005, 05:19 AM
Here's a pretty good Thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=cardroom&Number=201078 8&Forum=,,f13,,&Words=Would%20you%20split&Searchpa ge=2&Limit=25&Main=2010788&Search=true&where=bodys ub&Name=7518&daterange=1&newerval=2&newertype=m&ol derval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post2010788) discussing a similar situation.

[ QUOTE ]
mp1 says "i'm playing the board" and mucks his cards. what should the floor do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he say he was playing the board or was he playing his pair? A bit contradictory, but either way I think that the floor would probably rule that cards speak and it's chopped 3 ways.

LockLow34
05-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Robert's Rules (http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/poker/chapter5-7.php)

[ QUOTE ]

8. You must declare that you are playing the board before you throw your cards away; otherwise you relinquish all claim to the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]