PDA

View Full Version : What to call people from the US if not American

MelK
05-04-2005, 06:55 PM
If you reserved the term "American" for all people on the North and South American continents, what would you call people from the USA?

Here is a list I found. Which do you like?

Appalacian
Colonican
Columbard
Columbian
Frede
Fredonian
Nacirema
Pindosian (or just Pindos)
Stateside(r)
Uesican
Uessian
Unisan
Unisian
United States (as an adjective)
United States American
United Stater
United Stateser
United Statesian
United Statesman
United Statian
USAian
U.S. American
Usan
USAn
Usanian
Usian (pronounced "YOU-zhuhn")
U-S-ian
Usonian
Washingtonian

stabn
05-04-2005, 06:56 PM
yank

felson
05-04-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you reserved the term "American" for all people on the North and South American continents

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that people from Mexico or Canada want to be called Americans? I doubt it.

Well, maybe the Canadians.

beerbandit
05-04-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yank

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah what he said

i agree with the statment about calling people frokm the us americans - my canadian buddies and have gotten in a few drunken arguments about it

cheers

kenberman
05-04-2005, 07:04 PM
United Stater

that's great

FishNChips
05-04-2005, 07:10 PM
why are people from Canada called Canadian? Shouldn't they be "Canadan" or change the name of the country to Canadia?

Anyhow... As the US pwns the whole freakin' world we can call ourselves whatever the f we want to. If we choose to call ourselves the Earthians the rest of the world will need to learn to refer to us as such or face our wrath!

FishNChips

IggyWH
05-04-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yank

[/ QUOTE ]

No good...

As someone from the North, I hate the word Yank so bad. It's such a stupid southerner's term. You just don't hear that word in the North and when I do run into someone from the SOuth that calls me a Yank, my reply is "I don't like the Yankees"

Phoenix1010
05-04-2005, 07:25 PM
USAsshole.

stabn
05-04-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yank

[/ QUOTE ]

No good...

As someone from the North, I hate the word Yank so bad. It's such a stupid southerner's term. You just don't hear that word in the North and when I do run into someone from the SOuth that calls me a Yank, my reply is "I don't like the Yankees"

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't really matter if you like it or not. The only realistic things to call us, or that we are often called, are yanks or americans.

Rockatansky
05-04-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yank

[/ QUOTE ]

No good...

[/ QUOTE ]

Quiet down, carpetbagger.

twang
05-04-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As the US pwns the whole freakin' world we can call ourselves whatever the f we want to. If we choose to call ourselves the Earthians the rest of the world will need to learn to refer to us as such or face our wrath!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, no reason to get aggressive, mate. If you want to call yourself Earthian, you should call yourself Earthian.

/twang

Beerfund
05-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I want all foreigners to call me "Master"

stabn
05-04-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want all foreigners to call me "Master"

[/ QUOTE ]

<insert lame last name bater joke here>

El Barto
05-05-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yank

[/ QUOTE ]

Too regional. Now if we could combine yankee, rebel, and cowboy to cover the basic regions of the USA: north, south, and west, that might work.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you reserved the term "American" for all people on the North and South American continents...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do this? no one else does.

Jack of Arcades
05-05-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you reserved the term "American" for all people on the North and South American continents...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do this? no one else does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is, just not in English. Spanish has words that roughly mean American (both continents), North American (USA, Canada, and Mexico), and USAn.

jason1990
05-05-2005, 08:32 AM
I've also had debates with Canadians who think the term "American" should refer to anyone from the American continents. But, strangely, I once went on a tour of the capitol building (or whatever they call it there) in Victoria, British Columbia. On the wall were paintings of the native people of this continent. And the tour guide referred to them as "Native Canadians." /images/graemlins/confused.gif

purnell
05-05-2005, 08:39 AM
I call myself an American. If I'm forced to be more precise, I call myself a citizen of the United States of America.

Furriners can call me whatever they like.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure it is, just not in English. Spanish has words that roughly mean American (both continents), North American (USA, Canada, and Mexico), and USAn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Words that "roughly mean American" are not the word "American". The word "American" means someone from the U.S. And by the way when a Mexican says "Americano" he's not referring to someone from either North or South America. He's referring to someone from Los Estados Unidos.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've also had debates with Canadians

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother? We're talking about the people that introduced Curling to the Olympics.

Bulldog
05-05-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do this? no United Statesmen do .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Many from Central and South America refer to themselves as American.

Jack of Arcades
05-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Not necessarily, it all depends on the person. To many people, Americano means all of North and South America, which is why they invented a word to specifically refer to people of the US.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many from Central and South America refer to themselves as American.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they don't.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To many people, Americano means all of North and South America...

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't. I'm in Miami. I work with Spanish-speaking Anglos, as well as Cubans, Dominicans, Brazilians (not to mention an Indian and a Chinese guy). They all say you're crazy.

Jack of Arcades
05-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Well, OK, you've covered 2 Spanish speaking countries out of what, 40?

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, OK, you've covered 2 Spanish speaking countries out of what, 40?

[/ QUOTE ]

Miami pretty much covers all 40 and they mix and know what they all call each other. I'm taking these guys word they would know if there were people running around referring to themselves as Americanos.

Besides, just because someone in some plague-ridden, half-starved, let's-have-a-coup-every-other-year backwater with like 10,000 people in the whole country calls himself Americano doesn't mean American refers him.

edit: This should stir the pot. I tried to work something about it being gay in there somewhere too but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Jack of Arcades
05-05-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm just saying among the Spanish speakers I've known (mostly from Spain and PR) "Americano" wasn't exactly a very specific term and it could reasonably be interpreted as either way, which is why a separate word was created.

(I don't even really like the name of the USA, truth be told...)

Blarg
05-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Homers.

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(mostly from Spain and PR)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I actually hadn't considered Spain because I don't really come in contact with many Spanish people.

I kind of agree. Way back when they named this country they really dropped the ball. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jack of Arcades
05-05-2005, 09:40 AM
And now the states are mostly a sham anyway.

Jazza
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why are people from Canada called Canadian? Shouldn't they be "Canadan" or change the name of the country to Canadia?

Anyhow... As the US pwns the whole freakin' world we can call ourselves whatever the f we want to. If we choose to call ourselves the Earthians the rest of the world will need to learn to refer to us as such or face our wrath!

FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

how many times has the US acutally pwned anyone?

oh that's right, they came into some world wars when they were half way over already

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how many times has the US acutally pwned anyone? oh that's right, they came into some world wars when they were half way over already

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite funny in an unintentional way.

Mars357
05-05-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

oh that's right, they came into some world wars when they were half way over already

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should ask Japan...

Jazza
05-05-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, US gets some points there, but don't forget the US waited to get attacked first

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sure, US gets some points there, but don't forget the US waited to get attacked first

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop trying to piss us off. Maybe we'll come pwne you next! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually I did a few exercises with aussies in various places, and knew a few in Saudi/Kuwait. Good soldiers.

twang
05-05-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Using the A-bomb at civilians is pwning Al-Qaida style.

/twang

Jazza
05-05-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop trying to piss us off. Maybe we'll come pwne you next! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually I did a few exercises with aussies in various places, and knew a few in Saudi/Kuwait. Good soldiers.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, it's a good thing america's not trying to pwn us, our whole population is like 18 mill and a not-big army, wouldn't be much of a fight

good to know the aussies in iraq/kuwait are leaving a good impression