PDA

View Full Version : SNG play notes

treeofwisdom7
05-04-2005, 06:03 PM
i have a feeling this topic has been talked about before. <font color="purple"> </font> just wondering what kind of player notes do you guys take at sit n gos? i usually find that players tend to play different at the start and at the end.

GL! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

xPuns1her
05-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Well... write (BEG) next to the start notes and (END) next to your end notes.....

DasLeben
05-04-2005, 06:24 PM
The only notes I keep are to keep track of other known 2+2ers. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I should keep more, but *shrugs*.

pokerlaw
05-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I tend to write down notes on obvious behavior (loose preflop standards, weak bettor when bluffing, tight, etc). They tend to apply at either the end or the beginning.

What I mainly shoot for is some kind of read on a player so that when I end up in a hand 1-on-1 against him, I can have some reference as to how he played earlier (ex: if he raised big post flop when he had a set earlier, i will be more inclined to muck to the same kind of betting later on, etc).

If you are just starting to keep notes, I would recommend that you pay the most attention to frequency of flops seen, betting sizes that they make (if they go all in, try to remember why they did it), if they fold to small re-raises, and what hands they are playing (use the hand history to see what they had if they muck). My goal is to peg them into a certain "style" if you will. I play low levels, where there are a lot more styles than at a higher buy in I feel (mostly due to a lot more crappy players). Try to find the ones that you want to play against one-on-one (calling stations, players who have shown they will bet small, and then fold to large raises, etc).

Hope this helps.

treeofwisdom7
05-04-2005, 06:32 PM
usually the only notes i take are about what players are playing and from what position

johnnybeef
05-04-2005, 06:49 PM
sngs are so quick that the most beneficial thing that you can know about an opponent is good player/bad player (which i will only take notes on a good player), and the range of hands that they will call a push with. one thing that should be noted is that at the lower levels, you will rarely see an opponent a multititude of times, which in essence makes note taking an exercise in futility.

Blarg
05-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Most of my notes have to do with what a guy reveals about the range of cards he'll limp with, call or cold-call a raised pot with, or push with, especially if it's way out of sync with the level of the SNG or the stack sizes involved in the hand. And especially if he falls in love with his blinds and refuses to abandon them no matter what his cards are or how pointless it is to defend them. I need to know that to consider when I should or shouldn't push or call, myself.

Also, I note whether it seems easy to steal his blinds, though that's often not all that reliable when gleaned from a short span in an SNG, so it's kind of a "just in case" I'm right about it kind of note.

And I note if he is a push any two type of guy.

Also, if he seems like a good player, but that's usually the rarest type of note I make.

treeofwisdom7
05-04-2005, 06:58 PM
yah i started to hit a bad run in sit n gos hopefully a better read on players can give me a bigger edge

Blarg
05-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Unfortunately, I rarely see the same guy twice!

Still, it's worth making lots of notes I think because it keeps you focused on the game and the players. And on the off chance you do see someone again, it can be very handy.

Plus, when 4-tabling it, even in the same game, it's nice to refresh your memory with a note every once in a while. It helps to counter the effect of going on/tendency to go on auto-pilot too much.

beeyjay
05-04-2005, 07:11 PM
if their game changes the correct way from begin to end I probably just write "good". If theyre a known 2+2 I write "2+2" and know how theyre going to play. If they have 40+ wins over a dickload of games I write "45%" or "good".

I only mark good people so when I'm about to sit down I can see how many people i know i have to worry about real quick. more than a note or 2 on a table and I just wait. needless to say this is very rare. I don't pay enough attn to know that somebody limps with 910s and folds 89s and even if i knew that i would still fold every hand