PDA

View Full Version : Major to pick

jack spade23
05-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Is accounting a good major? Does it lead to a lot of job options? I've heard what the school and my parents have to say, so some other's responses would be welcome

jakethebake
05-04-2005, 03:10 PM
This is pretty much entirely dependent on what you want to do after you graduate.

Edge34
05-04-2005, 03:18 PM
What Jake said.

Seriously - what do you like to do? Figure out a job you think would sound interesting to you and major in that field.

IE. I'm absolutely obsessed with sports and music. Hence, I'm going into broadcast journalism with the final goal of being a sports reporter (or a radio DJ, hehe...).

Great thing about college: what your parents say means less than ever, at least in this regard. Its your life, figure out what you like and go for it. It'll be more fun that way.

thatpfunk
05-04-2005, 03:50 PM
If you like accounting, it is a great major.

I hate it.

My friends who are accounting majors are the ones with the best job options in the business world right now. Basically, if you bust your ass and get great grades you have tons of job options that pay very well. I don't know about accounting students with crappy grades though.

naphinfitos
05-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Although I'm only a freshman so I don't know much about real world job opportunities, I'm trying for a double major in Econ and Psychology.

RunDownHouse
05-04-2005, 03:58 PM
It doesn't matter what you pick for a major unless you're going to be an engineer or a doctor (and doctor may not even matter for a semester or two). Just go, take a wide variety of stuff your first couple semesters, and take it from there.

Wes ManTooth
05-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Accounting degree, then get your CPA a year after college...
=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Roan
05-04-2005, 04:05 PM
I graduated in 02, most of the kids I knew who were accounting majors had an easier time finding jobs than my friends who were liberal arts/humanities majors. The only downside is....they all got jobs as entry level accountants, they make OK money, but my interpretation of their work life is that it's kinda Office Space-ish, gray cubicle land. If you wanna go for a CPA then the ceiling is much higher but its a lot more work/longer hours.

Do you have any other interests? perhaps you could double major and give something a little more risky but interesting a shot, but still have an accounting degree to fall back on.

wh1t3bread
05-04-2005, 04:11 PM
If you would like to get a job and not move back in with your parents after college do NOT get a degree in almost anything Liberal Arts. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Make sure you like what you do though, that should be a huge factor.

2planka
05-04-2005, 04:15 PM
As my fellow goons have already said, it depends on what you like. If accounting is your thing, then do it. Don't pick a major just because your folks tell you to, unless, of course they're footing the bill.

I paid my own way. Started out pre-med because that's what i was told to do. Hated it. My grades were good, but I enjoyed my electives more (med ethics, literature, languages). I switched to philosophy my junior year, went on to grad school, got a masters degree, then decided I needed to make some money, so I got a job.

I now negotiate with international governments to obtain marketing approvals for high-end medical systems. The circle is nearly complete.

Bottom line: have fun in college. Learn stuff. Go wild for four years. Don't worry about what you're gonna be when you grow up. I'm still trying to figure that out.

lu_hawk
05-04-2005, 04:52 PM
there's really no way to define a 'good major'. and thinking about what the job options are and how much you would make is the wrong way to go about it. job options only matter if you like the options that are available to you. otherwise you will be miserable in your field, but will have a very hard time getting into another field that requires a different degree. do your best to try to think about what you would really enjoy doing, and set a plan to get yourself there.

meep_42
05-04-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although I'm only a freshman so I don't know much about real world job opportunities, I'm trying for a double major in Econ and Psychology.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I majored in. No jobs. :P

-d

dutchbrodymoss
05-04-2005, 05:35 PM
it doesn't really matter. in college you learn how to write, express yourself orally, and think critically.
I would stray away from vocational majors. I think anything in the liberal arts is fine. More importantly, study something you like. Because employeers like to hire people with high GPAs; most of the stuff you learn in school about econ and what not is crap anyways, because once you get employeed, corporations retrain you and reteach you everything.

Hence, what I say, is major in something you like, get good grades, and you'll have a lot of options after you graduate.

Paluka
05-04-2005, 05:38 PM
In terms of what gives you the best options after college, you can't really beat hard science and engineering majors.

BreakfastBurrito
05-04-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In terms of what gives you the best options after college, you can't really beat hard science and engineering majors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Engineering leaves the most doors open plus good paying jobs right out of school. I have friends I went to engineering school with who're going to MBA programs, Law School, Med School, Consulting, and whatever else you could think of.

SossMan
05-04-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Accounting degree, then get your CPA a year after college...
=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh, not really. Unless you think $60k is a lot of money.

ceyoung
05-04-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Engineering leaves the most doors open plus good paying jobs right out of school. I have friends I went to engineering school with who're going to MBA programs, Law School, Med School, Consulting, and whatever else you could think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of chemical engineers ended up being CEOs of fortune 500 companies. and ChE's make the most money directly out of college. but transport phenomena sucks.