PDA

View Full Version : strom thurmond gets standing ovation...

scalf
11-21-2002, 09:02 AM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif strom addressed u s senate for probably the last time , ensuring the confirmation of a judgeship for an old valued staffer...the entire senate gave him a rousing standing ovation...well-deserved as he nears a century of life in this vale of tears. mean while, his hometown, and all of south carolina eagerly await the return of their champion...gl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

IrishHand
11-21-2002, 10:19 AM
ensuring the confirmation of a judgeship for an old valued staffer

Yeah! Nothing beats ignoring the goal of judicial excellence when you can do some favors for your buddies. After all, what's the point of being a politician if you can't cater to special interests and friends to the last?

HDPM
11-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Judicial excellence? Hehehe. It's all political. Most especially the alledgedly apolitical ABA bs. Their garbage is just political in a different way. Occasionally the planets line up and you get a good judge. But there's not a selection system around that gets good judges most of the time.

IrishHand
11-21-2002, 01:25 PM
I agree that's the way it is, but that's not a reason to accept it.

HDPM
11-21-2002, 05:19 PM
But you can't come up with a non-political selection process. This is why I am generall a believer in the politicization of judicial selection, even thought I am aware of the inherent problems in it. And yes, I just got back from a meeting of a committee to select a new judge. It is kind of a non-political political system. It was weird. I am not sure what I think of the process as it exists in my state, even after having some experience in it in different capacities.

IrishHand
11-21-2002, 05:32 PM
You can't come up with a non-political process, but you can strive to come up with a less political process. With this, as with most things related to politics, there are no black and white answers - you just try to do what's right.

HDPM
11-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Why is less political necessarily right? It may be right. But I am not sure. In the end, it all comes down to individual integrity and competence. Both of those things are less prevalent than we would like.

IrishHand
11-21-2002, 05:57 PM
Sad, but 100% true.