PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Play

mila
05-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I play poker at only PokerStars as I trust them the most. As spring is comming I would like to try to use a wireless router to be able to enjoy the weather and play poker at the same time. Does anyone have an experience playing using wireless router? How is it?

Is there are any tool which I can use to play poker while not on line (like Blackberry or other)

I appreciate your responces.

Thank you,

Mila

ghostface
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Wireless works fine. You can get a linksys one from wal mart for about 80 bucks. Works for about 300-500 feet I'd say.

mila
05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks a lot. I will try it. Any experince with Mobil poker?
Is there any?

wdbaker
05-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Mila,
I have a linksys wifi card for home and coffee shops and book stores that have wifi available. I have a verizon 5220 pc card for everywhere else.

If you have a laptop you will be set, if you are trying to do this on anything smaller then a laptop you are just goofing around and wasting your time and money(1 table for cell phone or blackberry etc... vs laptop with minimum twice the speed of dial up and minimum 4 tables.

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co

I Play 2 Ski
05-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Just use the WEP encryption. It will secure your network. Also turn off broadcasting the SSID.

mila
05-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi Wbaker,

Thank you for the info. I do have a laptop. Sometimes during lunch I may have some time. How do I find out who nearbuy has this wifi connection?

Regards,

Mila

astroglide
05-04-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just use the WEP encryption. It will secure your network. Also turn off broadcasting the SSID.

[/ QUOTE ]

WEP encryption and SSID disabling is absolutely useless against somebody who wants to actually break into your network. there are tools like aircrack (http://www.cr0.net:8040/code/network/) easily available which will do the work automatically and quickly. this cannot be understated: WEP is a COMPLETE JOKE security-wise. any home user that is concerned with security should be using WPA-PSK with a maximum length, random password.

it's also worth observing that wireless connections can drop quite a bit or get interference from microwaves, 2.4ghz phones, etc. on no-allin tables that can be a kick in the nuts.

MicroBob
05-04-2005, 02:57 PM
comp usa...and maybe best buy too...sell these little wi-fi signal checkers. size of a credit card or smaller...just press the button and it lights up to let you know if there is any wi-fi signal in the area (and the relative strength).

probably $30 or so...maybe less.

won't tell you if the signal you are picking up requires a password but it still beats having to turn on your computer to check for a signal.

wdbaker
05-04-2005, 03:28 PM
JiWire wireless hotspot directory (http://www.jiwire.com)

Here you will find a fairly complete list of both pay and free wireless coffee shops etc...

As I said the other option is to get a 5220 pc card from verizon, unlimited bandwidth, at minimum twice as fast as dialup and in some of the bigger cities you can get broad band speed. Cards were $50 with a $150 rebate last I knew and the monthly is $80 but if you play all the time that is a drop in the bucket.

Or just use the wifi until you build up a bankroll and can play more to make it worth while having the verizon card.

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co