PDA

View Full Version : Is this a horrible play?

hedgeyerbets
05-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Had AA, on the button. Big stack minraised, no limpers or callers. I just call. SB and BB call. Is it horrible to just limp with AA against a max of 3 opponents? This was level 2 of a 10+1 on party. Flop was qqx, and I ended up folding but I'm just curious about whether y'all think this was a horrible move preflop.

Unarmed
05-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Yes.
Calling a min-raise just encourages everyone else to do the same.

Jibbs
05-04-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't care for limping or smooth calling with AA unless I am sure I am going to get 1 player heads up. Even then it is not my standard line. I would have reraised 5-8 times the BB here just to get rid of the blinds and seen how the hand played from there.

Voltron87
05-04-2005, 02:17 PM
yeah its abysmal.

hedgeyerbets
05-04-2005, 02:22 PM
This would be my usual move. My thinking, though, was that the bigstack (he had like 3k chips at that point) would fold 95 out of 100 times to such a raise (he had been minraising every hand). Was pretty torn on what to do, hence the post /images/graemlins/wink.gif

hyde
05-04-2005, 02:24 PM
don't want to get picky, but dreadful might be a more accurate term.
you were begging to get them busted. get heads up. that means a raise.

hedgeyerbets
05-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Hahhaha ok. I guess i have my answer. Thanks for the input everyone.

Jibbs
05-04-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking, though, was that the bigstack (he had like 3k chips at that point) would fold 95 out of 100 times to such a raise (he had been minraising every hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this actually may be one more reason to make this raise. You get to put a little seed into the big stacks head that you are going to play back at him and his min-raises. It might make him think a little more before doing it. The fact that you get to play back with the best hand is pure gravy. If he decides to go after you all the better.

hedgeyerbets
05-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Thought about this for a few mins and decided that it was simply a misguided attempt to be hyperconservative. Was for some reason thinking that not betting would be the most conservative move, when this was actually diametrical to the truth. Gotta remember to think in these damned sngs... hard to do at times given the level of competition /images/graemlins/wink.gif