PDA

View Full Version : how to multitable with small monitor?

nickianthony
05-04-2005, 01:43 PM
hi guys. i've just moved to party. ideally, i'd like to be 4-tabling right now. my screen resolution is 1152x864. i have a 17" monitor. i'm not interested in buying a bigger monitor right now. any tips for making multitabling as convenient as possible on my setup? is there any software or anything out there that can help me out?

Patriarch
05-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey, I 4-table at 1024x768 on my laptop. I drag the bottom two tables down so the chatbox is offscreen and get 2" of the top two tables visible. It's not perfect but certainly playable. I'm saving up for a new PC and monitor.

TStokes
05-04-2005, 01:59 PM
I do the same thing just drag each table to a corner and adjust them all so you can see each one. It is not perfect but it gets the job done.

UMTerp
05-04-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure how the windows on Party works, but I 12-table Stars on my laptop with a 1400x1050 resolution. I don't find it difficult as all, as a window will pop to the forefront every time you have pending action on that table. I don't understand the need for all these fancy monitor setups. Obviously, the key is that no "buttons" overlap, so you don't misclick when a new window pops up when you're about to click on another one.

I always set up my tables the same way - table 1 is in the upper-left corner, 2 in the lower-right, 3 in the upper-right, 4 in the lower-left, 5 and 6 are evenly "spaced" (we're talking like 80% overlap here) between 1 and 4 down the left hand side of the screen. Similarly, 7 and 8 are down the right hand side between 2 and 3; 9 and 10 along the top between 1 and 2; and 11 and 12 at the bottom between 3 and 4.

I always put them in the same order, so I know which window-tab to click on the taskbar if I want to get to a specific table to see some action if there's a key pot being contested. You do need to get familiar with using the tabs, because often times entire tables are covered, and you won't be able to click it on the screen if you want to without moving other tables around, which gets messy. If I'm feeling especially frisky, I'll set up Tables 13-16 similarly to 1-4 on the "inside" space left in the middle of the screen.

I couldn't do any more tables than 16 without button overlap, which would make it impossible not to misclick muliple times per set.

Other little tricks when playing that many tables - use the "autofold" buttons when you're dealt a hand on one the tables that happen to be on the top at the time if you know you're not playing those cards - that'll give you some time to observe other tables.

Also, once you're all-in, see what you're up against, then go back to your other games. It can be frustrating when you're in with KK against an opponents' 66 on Table 7, then Tables 2, 9, and 11 pop up and you play them, then Table 7 pops back up and says "UMTerp has completed this tournament in 5th Place". It works in reverse too though - that's fun. You really have to get emotionally unattached from everything. You do miss a lot of action though, so I would recommend spending an hour a night or something reviews hand histories when you're finished playing - both to critique your own play, and to pick up on tendencies of others regulars you encounter.

I dunno, it works for me, but some friends that have tried something similar seem to have difficulty with that much overlap.

So for your question, just stick one table in each corner of the screen, make sure the raise/fold buttons from various tables don't overlap, and have at it.

nickianthony
05-04-2005, 02:08 PM
thanks. very helpful reply.

xPuns1her
05-04-2005, 02:21 PM
I have about the same resolution, a bit smaller, and i can barely fit 2 tables but I still 4 table haha, I strategically place each table so that that the buttons dont overlap.

pooh74
05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how the windows on Party works, but I 12-table Stars on my laptop with a 1400x1050 resolution. I don't find it difficult as all, as a window will pop to the forefront every time you have pending action on that table. I don't understand the need for all these fancy monitor setups. Obviously, the key is that no "buttons" overlap, so you don't misclick when a new window pops up when you're about to click on another one.

I always set up my tables the same way - table 1 is in the upper-left corner, 2 in the lower-right, 3 in the upper-right, 4 in the lower-left, 5 and 6 are evenly "spaced" (we're talking like 80% overlap here) between 1 and 4 down the left hand side of the screen. Similarly, 7 and 8 are down the right hand side between 2 and 3; 9 and 10 along the top between 1 and 2; and 11 and 12 at the bottom between 3 and 4.

I always put them in the same order, so I know which window-tab to click on the taskbar if I want to get to a specific table to see some action if there's a key pot being contested. You do need to get familiar with using the tabs, because often times entire tables are covered, and you won't be able to click it on the screen if you want to without moving other tables around, which gets messy. If I'm feeling especially frisky, I'll set up Tables 13-16 similarly to 1-4 on the "inside" space left in the middle of the screen.

I couldn't do any more tables than 16 without button overlap, which would make it impossible not to misclick muliple times per set.

Other little tricks when playing that many tables - use the "autofold" buttons when you're dealt a hand on one the tables that happen to be on the top at the time if you know you're not playing those cards - that'll give you some time to observe other tables.

Also, once you're all-in, see what you're up against, then go back to your other games. It can be frustrating when you're in with KK against an opponents' 66 on Table 7, then Tables 2, 9, and 11 pop up and you play them, then Table 7 pops back up and says "UMTerp has completed this tournament in 5th Place". It works in reverse too though - that's fun. You really have to get emotionally unattached from everything. You do miss a lot of action though, so I would recommend spending an hour a night or something reviews hand histories when you're finished playing - both to critique your own play, and to pick up on tendencies of others regulars you encounter.

I dunno, it works for me, but some friends that have tried something similar seem to have difficulty with that much overlap.

So for your question, just stick one table in each corner of the screen, make sure the raise/fold buttons from various tables don't overlap, and have at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

u da man terp...that's crazy.

I just got 1900x1200 on my new lappy...I now 2 table with the lobbies open. no overlap. and that's on 2nd best resolution. I imagine you could go to 6 tables with minimal overlap.

I think seeing the games is huge. Terp plays turbos only (i believe) so reads/table posture becomes less important...you are playing very little in the way of post flop poker. Not to be critical...I love the turbos too. My point is, some formats of SNG lend themselves to needing to see whats going on even when you're not in the hand.

UMTerp
05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think seeing the games is huge. Terp plays turbos only (i believe) so reads/table posture becomes less important...you are playing very little in the way of post flop poker. Not to be critical...I love the turbos too. My point is, some formats of SNG lend themselves to needing to see whats going on even when you're not in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken - you're exactly right. The fast blind structure that eventually leads itself into a push/fold game for everyone from the bubble onward is the main reason I can pay minimal attention to the games and still maintain a healthy ROI. I try to pay attention as much as possible, but obviously I can't see everything with all that action going on. In a "regular" SNG with a slower blind structure, I don't think I'd be comfortable playing more than 6 at a time at anything higher than $33.

zambonidrivr
05-04-2005, 03:12 PM
i do the same thing, but i am 60 tabling on a 12 inch monitor.

TStokes
05-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Hey terp is there anyway I could get a screenshot of you 12 tabling?

pokerlaw
05-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I would like to see a screenshot of Terp's setup also, sounds HARDCORE.

I have a laptop w 1024x768 resolution. I play on UB and use their miniview - which allows me to see ALL the action in the 3 tables I play. I could do four, but UB doesnt allow more than 3 (unless you have 3 S&Gs running and then load up a MTT).

I write down the time each one starts, which I use to determine when the blinds increase on each one - since miniview doesn't tell you that info.

dfscott
05-04-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got 1900x1200 on my new lappy...I now 2 table with the lobbies open. no overlap. and that's on 2nd best resolution. I imagine you could go to 6 tables with minimal overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm considering trying this. I'm feeling comfortable playing 4-tables on my 1920x1600 laptop and I'm thinking about adding one, but it will start me overlapping again.

One problem I'm seeing is that my internet connection starts flaking out more and more as I add more tables. It goes from great, to flakey, then back to great again. I've got the highest speed DSL that Bellsouth sells, so maybe it's something else.

But first I've got to get some more rakeback on whatever new site I play...

UMTerp
05-04-2005, 03:32 PM
If you guys tell me how, I can do it, though I won't be playing again til Friday. I'm semi-computer illiterate outside of basic windows stuff.

TStokes
05-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I dont know if it is the same on all comps but for me I just hold the FN key and then press the insert key under the insert key it says print screen. Then open up paint and go to edit and click paste and that will do it. Not sure how good of an explination that is but if it doesnt work im sure someone else can do a better job of explaining

UMTerp
05-04-2005, 03:44 PM
OK, I'll figure it out. It'll be a few days though.

pooh74
05-04-2005, 04:11 PM
In a "regular" SNG with a slower blind structure, I don't think I'd be comfortable playing more than 6 at a time at anything higher than $33.

Yeah...and the decrease in variance you would get wouldnt make up for the sheer volume and hourly rate of the turbos.

I went up to the 60s before I felt comfortable (had 40 Buyins in my account though) and started a 3 week slump...

I have banished myself to 2 tabling the 20+2 regulars so I can learn how to play again.

john_
05-04-2005, 04:35 PM
I do 4 tabling on each of my 17" LCD's with no overlap...the process is kind of complicated though.

MSUcougar
05-04-2005, 04:45 PM
I have a 20" flat panel now which is SOOO much nicer for 4-tabling... but before I was on a 17" monitor with 1024x768... I just made sure all 4 tables were in opposite corners of the screen, then I would only sit in the far corner seat at each table. This way I could at least see my hole cards at each table without having to move them around.

I still do this now (sit in the corner seats) even though I don't have overlap anymore... just out of habit I guess...

EnderFFX
05-04-2005, 04:50 PM
http://enablesoftware.com/index.php?target=docs/applications/virtual_desktop/virtual_desktop.html

This is the software I use at work, I tried it for poker at home last night and it worked pretty well. This program sets up a virtual desktop for you. Instead of having 1 screen you have 4 screens (or as many as you want to set up) but 1 screen is shown at a time. You can set up shortcut keys to switch between the desktops.

Mess with the program a bit, it's freeware with a 30 day eval, and only $20 to register.

Microsoft also has a snap in tool that does the same thing. Good luck, and yes UMTerp is nuts. He needs to get a 4 monitor setup, he'd do better. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nickianthony
05-04-2005, 05:28 PM
yeah, before moving to party, i was playing on UB, then pokerchamps. both places allow you to multitable without a huge screen. that's why i was wondering how i should go about it on party.

UMTerp
05-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't think I have a "print screen" button. I have a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. How can a do a screen capture? Need some help from the computer guys!!

prunch
05-05-2005, 05:31 AM
anyone else use this virtual desktop, looks promising!

dfscott
05-05-2005, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone else use this virtual desktop, looks promising!

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried the MS version back when I was multi-tabling limit. While it seems cool in theory, in practice, it sucked.

ben_
05-05-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't think I have a "print screen" button. I have a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. How can a do a screen capture? Need some help from the computer guys!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Look for a button called:
"Prt Sc
SysRq"

near the top right of your keyboard somewhere.
Thats the one you want.

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks - I figured that out after I posted before, but couldn't delete my previous post. So I found the print screen button. But I press it and nothing happens. WTF? Is it sending a file somewhere? It doesn't appear to do anything. I'm such a retard...

durron597
05-05-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks - I figured that out after I posted before, but couldn't delete my previous post. So I found the print screen button. But I press it and nothing happens. WTF? Is it sending a file somewhere? It doesn't appear to do anything. I'm such a retard...

[/ QUOTE ]

It should copy your entire desktop to the clipboard. You can go into Start->Programs->Accessories->Paint and press "Control + V", then save the file (preferably as something not .bmp though /images/graemlins/smile.gif).

dfscott
05-05-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: What durron said.

UMTerp
05-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Gracias. I'll try to get the screenshots up tonight then. (I've got one of those 9 to 5 deals during the day.)

Is this one of those boards where the {img} {/img} tags work if I upload a .jpg of the screenshot?

Elektrik
05-05-2005, 10:26 AM
I 8 table party on a 15" moniter with 1024x768 resolution, so it's definitely possible to do.

Like UMTerp said, most windows pop up when you have to make a decision, and I have them arranged in a diamond shape for when I have to click from window to window when each is flashing. It's hectic at first, but I got used to it after a while, although it's really a pain to do much else (talk on AIM, 2+2, etc)