PDA

View Full Version : panera bread's best-kept secret

astroglide
05-04-2005, 12:44 PM
peanut butter and jelly on country bread
upgrade chips to fruit cup
carton of milk

possibly the best cheap american meal. i beg all of you to try this.

change what you want, but leave the pb&j as-is. it's creamy peanut butter btw. i prefer crunchy i think but i am completely in love with this sandwich.

jakethebake
05-04-2005, 12:45 PM
How much is cheap?

astroglide
05-04-2005, 12:46 PM
it's like $3.25 for the full sandwich with chips and a drink. around 75 cents to upgrade chips to fruit.

jakethebake
05-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Not too bad, and I wouldn't do the "upgrade" but I'd still have a hard time making myself pay for a PB&J in a restaurant.

tbach24
05-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Panera bread?

Nottom
05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not too bad, and I wouldn't do the "upgrade" but I'd still have a hard time making myself pay for a PB&J in a restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way about grilled cheese, although they are very yummy.

wh1t3bread
05-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Panera also has lots of hotties around lunch time.....and free wi-fi access.

Peca277
05-04-2005, 01:00 PM
I went there for lunch yesterday and was wondering where in the country it exists. First heard about them in Penn State, know they're not in Buffalo, and we have them in Northern Virginia. Definitely one of my favorite lunch locations for the good/cheap food and, as someone mentioned, the lunchtime hotties /images/graemlins/smile.gif

swede123
05-04-2005, 01:08 PM
We have 'em here in Colorado. Personally I think their lunch sandwiches (turkey etc.) are pretty overpriced, setting you back eight bucks or more. This PBJ thing sounds like a pretty good deal though, I may have to check it out.

Swede

Paluka
05-04-2005, 01:09 PM
This sounds hot. Is there a lot of melon in the fruit cup? I hate melon.

benfranklin
05-04-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Panera bread?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a chain of trendy type bakery/restaurants. Originally in the midwest, and now going national. I think it was originally called the St. Louis Bread Company or something like that. Good bread, always fresh.

I went into the local store the other day to get a loaf of French bread (typical 2-foot long baguette). The wait-bot behind the counter, clueless and thoughtless, says, "Will that be for here or to go?"

tolbiny
05-04-2005, 01:12 PM
both in cleveland and chicago.

beerbandit
soup is usually good also -- im not to much into buying a pb-j sandwich at a resteraunt, but the bread there would make a difference

cheers

astroglide
it has canteloupe, pineapple, grapes, and green melons to wit. not a ton of melon, and i don't recall any watermelon. i believe they actually put the fruit into the cup 'live', it's not pulled from a refrigerator so maybe you could request it without.

the bread on this sandwich is like bombastically good. i'm not aware of any other sandwiches on which they use it, and i don't know why. it basically looks like thinly-sliced sourdough, but it's an off-white colored white bread that is super spongy/dense (compared with sourdough's typical dry taste).

astroglide
05-04-2005, 02:33 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/swf/banana.swf

i'm honestly excited to eat this for dinner

turnipmonster
05-04-2005, 02:36 PM
there's always melon in fruit cups because it takes up a lot of space and is relatively cheap. I dislike melon as well.

peachy
05-04-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's like $3.25 for the full sandwich with chips and a drink. around 75 cents to upgrade chips to fruit.

[/ QUOTE ]

thier fruit cup is BS!!! mainly all melons!! i upgraded to large just to try and get more NON melon - and there were like 2 grapes and one piece of pineapple in the whole thing!!! i only like citrus fruits and berries /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Freakin lazy cheap-o'S!!! using melons cause they save longer and take up space!!!

And no...its already in the cup...cause i SO asked if they could do no melon...and they said it was prepackaged /images/graemlins/mad.gif

peachy
05-04-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Panera bread?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a chain of trendy type bakery/restaurants. Originally in the midwest, and now going national. I think it was originally called the St. Louis Bread Company or something like that. Good bread, always fresh.

I went into the local store the other day to get a loaf of French bread (typical 2-foot long baguette). The wait-bot behind the counter, clueless and thoughtless, says, "Will that be for here or to go?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Its like Atlanta Bread Co

tbach24
05-04-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thier fruit cup is BS!!! mainly all melons!! i upgraded to large just to try and get more NON melon - and there were like 2 grapes and one piece of pineapple in the whole thing!!! i only like citrus fruits and berries /images/graemlins/frown.gif

And no...its already in the cup...cause i SO asked if they could do no melon...and they said it was prepackaged /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

omg...that is SO bad...like OH MY GOD!!!...

astroglide
05-04-2005, 05:23 PM
atlanta bread company is completely different. it used to be saint louis bread company (and still is here in STL). it's known as panera bread elsewhere. panera bread was a supplier for them, and when breadco began to become their income staple they decided to buy them out.

as far as the melons go, perhaps it's a regional thing. mine didn't have many, and the person at the register has to go make it somewhere and come back. it's not in one of the quick fridges they have for stuff like milk.

peachy
05-04-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
atlanta bread company is completely different. it used to be saint louis bread company (and still is here in STL). it's known as panera bread elsewhere. panera bread was a supplier for them, and when breadco began to become their income staple they decided to buy them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!! they are the same type of place!!! ggrrr!

astroglide
05-04-2005, 05:53 PM
they are competitors in the same market. their ingredients, menus, etc are completely different.

The Goober
05-04-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's always melon in fruit cups because it takes up a lot of space and is relatively cheap. I dislike melon as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I can't stand melons (except for watermelon, which I can tolerate). Its sucks, because it keeps me from ever ordering fruit cups. Nice to know I'm not alone on this.

Dead
05-04-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

omg...that is SO bad...like OH MY GOD!!!...

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO Tbach.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nobody has worse problems than this in the world.