PDA

View Full Version : draw poker shood i have drawn to aces or a flush

slimeywater
05-04-2005, 07:28 AM
i was in the BB playing 5/10 pot limit draw on 24H n was delt AA with 4 clubs the secong player raised to 20 the SB called n i called for 10 more the SB drew 2 should i have drawn to my flush or my aces
at the time i was thinking my aces are probably the best hand yet i called a 10 euro bet into a 50 euro pot thus giving me good odds for my flush draw

popniklas
05-04-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you should draw to aces here, unless you believe that the SB would just call and draw two to trips (pair + kicker is probably more likely). The probability of improving your aces is 29%, plus they might be the best hand unimproved.

IF, however, you think there is a good possibility you are up against trips it makes sense to go for a flush, hoping to be hit your draw and paid off by the player with trips.

slimeywater
05-04-2005, 10:32 AM
if he doesnt have trips his kiker is probably one of the last 2 aces
so maybe it is best just to go for the flush considerng you up against 2 players ???
also you can still get into trouble with those aces but your pretty safe with the flush draw

popniklas
05-04-2005, 10:53 AM
yeah, that's true. plus you have to worry about the raiser holding two pair or trips (or - albeit not very likely - a pat straight or flush).

so i'm not sure what to do here.

Tom Bayes
05-04-2005, 11:22 AM
This is a difficult decision to make without good knowledge about what the raiser would raise with (i.e. would he raise with KK or less, would he raise with a draw, would he only raise with strong 2 pair or better,...) and what the SB would call with.

As far as calling and drawing 2, 24h is full of false-carders. While a pair with an ace kicker is the most likely holding, I've seen people there keep a K or other kickers. There are some (maybe not in the 5/10 game) that will call a raise and draw to a cathop. A few players are tight enough (or afflicted with fancy play syndrome) to just call with low trips.

Without strong info, the "safe" play is to go for the flush. This will make your post-draw decision much easier, because you will either hit the (almost assuredly) winning hand or have a hand that is easy to get away from. With the aces, you are going to be uncomfortable if you fail to improve and probably even if you make two pair.

slimeywater
05-04-2005, 01:00 PM
tom what limits do u play

Tom Bayes
05-04-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm mostly a tournament player-I play as many draw multi-table and SNG tourneys as I can. I miss some of the good tourneys because they take place during the workday in the US (I post but don't play at work).

When I do play cash game draw, it's usually €0.50/1 or €1/2. The €2/4 is the biggest I've played and I only sat at that game once because a player I knew was a huge fish was sitting. Some of the 5/10 regulars are quite good-I see some of them in the higher buy-in draw tournaments.