PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this hand right? AA

Mikey
05-04-2005, 06:19 AM
Ok, I know this is just another AA hand, but I really want to know if how I played this hand is optimal or not??

The game is 2-4 NL.

Opp Stack size is $900
My stack size is $400

I raise after UTG limps in with AhAd to about $18.
UTG calls every else folds

$42 in the pot.

The flop comes down Jh 4h 2s.

I bet $28 and my opp calls.

$98 in the pot.

Turn card is a 6h.

My opp. checks. I check.

Should I bet here or should I check??

What would you do and why??

Assume your opp. is a typical player and this hand is not designed to trick you, just assume a typical situaion.

trumpman84
05-04-2005, 06:29 AM
I bet b/c I'm pretty sure I have the best hand and outs if I don't, but then again, if you are ahead, your opponent has very few if any outs, so checking behind may induce a bluff on the river. But I definetly bet 1/2-3/4 the size of the pot here.

It really depends on the reason for your check. Were you afraid you were beaten already and trying to take the free card to catch up? Or were you trying to induce a bad bluff or value bet by opponent on the river by making him think he has the best hand?

mythrilfox
05-04-2005, 06:35 AM
You should check here precisely because you do have the ace of hearts. You would hate to bet and have to fold to a raise. Now call a river bet or bet if checked to.

NYCNative
05-04-2005, 07:24 AM
I bet. Here's why:

I'll put UTG on AJ. He limped with it UTG, made a tough call (some would say a bad one, but whatever) to the raise and then hit TPTK but he is still scared of an overpair so he only calls your bet post-flop.

Maybe he thinks you were drawing to the hearts so when it hits, he slows down and checks. So you bet and he goes away.

Even if he has a flush and check-raises you here, you have outs for the nut flush so you can call a raise and still have pot odds, probably.

fuzzbox
05-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Alas I dont really know what constitutes a "typical" player at this level.

However, he *did* limp UTG. He *did* call a raise pf. And he checked and called on that flop.

So what sort of hands do players limp and call a raise with pf ?
Pocket pairs, and big suited Aces (typically).
Thus, you can probably put him on that sort of range. UTG - its normally the mid-high range of PPs. Lets say 88-AA or a big suited A. Normally he would reraise pf with KK or AA so we can probably rule those out. Often, players will open raise with QQ - so we can rule that out. So lets suggest that its JJ, TT, 99, 88 or a big suited A pf.

Then he checks and calls on that flop. He probably doesnt have a flush, because you have the Ah. But he can easily have JJ, TT, 99 or 88. He might have AJ of a different suit, hoping you have AK and will call.

If you bet, then JJ will play, but most likely all of the other hands dissappear. Thus, you should probably check - in order to induce a bluff from AJ, TT, 99, 88 (and maybe QQ/KK) and to possibly hit your draw (and if he has a heart also, he might pay off some).

I check to induce a bluff on the river - Im not afraid of too many cards (I hate a J), and I love a heart. I dont think I get paid off by too many hands I beat if I bet, so I check and maybe call the river bet (depending how I feel), of course raising if I hit a heart.

So there.
Flame away.