PDA

View Full Version : Super Generic Post!

Jdanz
05-04-2005, 05:46 AM
i've just begun experimenting with 15/30, i've played like 10k hands and am down a couple hundred bucks, doesn't say anything in any direction.

I can give the normal whine that i'm playing against idiots with pre-flop numbers alone that tell me they CANNOT (and i'm not talking even like 35/20 or something but likt 50/10) be winning, but i don't know what to do.

I don't, but that's not the point, cause i know enough that i'll be winning once i get more hands in, regardless of the fact that i'm not playing well enough to win what i think i should be playing well enough to win.

Last summer i was in NYC and got in a lot of live poker, but this summer i'm gonna be in Jersey, not be 21, and well back in Jersey, so not a whole hell of a lot to do.

The point being i'm really going to be putting in some hours, but the money right now is not the biggest concern, i'm much more concerned with increasing my long-term winrate.

I know some people on this forum have moved up in stakes really quickly, and i'm sue they'd agree that it's not about number of months played, but quantity * quality of time really puting in intense mental effort.

So knowing that i'm light years ahead of some of the donks i'm playing with, but not understading the hands that the higher level posters here can't concieve as anthing but standard [responses of schneids, gonores, bike, james, amongst countless others (those are just some of whom i've read A LOT of posts)].

I'm not really asking asking the what's the quick and easy way, i get it, there isn't, i have the great privledge of having been specificlly told this by El D in pms. The thing is that i'm not reall sure how to best spend my time, on the boards, playing 1 table, playing 4 tables, etc. I know it's a combination.

I guess i'm just looking towards those who have gone before to tell me A)what aspects of their game really improved as they started to really beat the 15 for a good rate, or started playing the higher games B) what part of the "learning expereince" did they find most helpful (posting, playing, reviewing hands, pegging people on hands during play, just sitting in an empty room thinking about poker) and well [censored] it C) what were those eureka moments that i'm not allowed to ask for.

I think the gist of what i'm saying is pretty clear, i'm looking to devote some serious time/effort, and just trying to get some thoughts on the best way to allocate it.

PS never thought i'd use brackets in a non-math part of a 2+2 post.

-JDanz

ZeeJustin
05-04-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but not understading the hands that the higher level posters here can't concieve as anthing but standard

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a 2+2 cliche that is used very improperly IMO. Over time, this phrase has come to mean, "That's my personal default play in that situation." Almost always when someone says what is standard, they are criticized for it.

[ QUOTE ]
C) what were those eureka moments that i'm not allowed to ask for.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my bing ones was realizing that I should be thinking in every single decision. I used to do stuff like atuo 3 bet AKo on a King high flop because that was my standard play in xxxx situation, but now, I think how likely is my hand good, if my hand is good, should i play it quick or slow, etc.

Jdanz
05-04-2005, 06:39 AM
i think this is great, and i've been doing it too (to an extent), but i've noticed that the biggest influence has been to see a lot of way ahead/way behind, or to a lesser degree a better hand will three bet a worse will cal fold (without the way, maybe 5 out type hands).

The way i've been thinking about hands recently i feel is way better, but also has me playing far more passively (which i believe is correct given that i was somewhat over aggressive previously) but i can't help but wonder if i'm taking it too far.

Thanks for your advice, and congrats on all the recent success as i just read over the stuff in your blog.

Jdanz
05-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Bump.