PDA

View Full Version : How do you play your AKo?

Mikey
05-04-2005, 04:31 AM
When I open raise in a typical mid-limit HE game in early position and I get reraised and find myself heads up I usually almost always call if its against a typical opp. I almost never put in another reraise.

Do you put in the cap here?? If you do, can I ask why?

If I'm in a mid-limit game and open raise with AKo and get reraised and another person cold calls I usually just call.

Do you put in a cap here?? I almost never do.

.................................................. ..

This sounds like a silly question but I almost always play it this exact way, all the time.

hotdog da 2rd
05-04-2005, 08:29 AM
capping won't help. see where you're at on the flop, if there's no help on the flop. raise it blind or give it up. all depends on your opponent's aggressiveness. i'm assuming this is a full ring game.

Barry
05-04-2005, 08:37 AM
I used to do the same thing, but I've started to cap more often, so as to keep control of the hand. I'm more inclined to do it if his 3 betting standards are low.I also think that makes the hand easier to play post flop.

If the 3-bettor has AK also, force him make the decision after the flop if you miss, rather than you having to make the decision.

ggbman
05-04-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to do the same thing, but I've started to cap more often, so as to keep control of the hand. I'm more inclined to do it if his 3 betting standards are low.I also think that makes the hand easier to play post flop.

If the 3-bettor has AK also, force him make the decision after the flop if you miss, rather than you having to make the decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is usually my line of thinking, and also, when you are getting 3 bet by 88, 99, TT, etc... you want to be able to pick up pots on the flop when you flop overs and a gutshot (i.e. a QJx or TJx flop) because the opponents hands are looking very bad if you cap preflop and lead into these flops.

LarsVegas
05-04-2005, 09:47 AM
"This is usually my line of thinking, and also, when you are getting 3 bet by 88, 99, TT, etc... you want to be able to pick up pots on the flop when you flop overs and a gutshot (i.e. a QJx or TJx flop) because the opponents hands are looking very bad if you cap preflop and lead into these flops."

Yes, but with 10.5-10.67 small bets in the pot when it's bet to villain on the turn (I assume you go h2h to the flop), villain will probably have the correct odds to call down your AK with outs, assuming that you will cap AA-TT/AK in this spot (not unlikely).

I basically think capping AK here (I do it a lot too) is for value (45% against all pockets except aces and kings, 30% even against kings, and 70% against AQ-AJs type hands). Most players do this with AQ and AJs in these games. Some even KQs or AJo.

The other reason is that it makes AK easier to play postflop. Simply put, I am seeing all five cards 95% of the time here, and I have caught TPTK or something better more than half the time by then.

lars