PDA

View Full Version : How much will it cost...

JaBlue
05-04-2005, 03:47 AM
How much will it cost for me to get the satellite feed so that I can watch it on my computer?

I have one TV in my house and a) it sucks during the day because of glare and b) it would be aweosme to watch TV at the computer while playing poker, especially if sports are on

Anyway here's my setup: Some older GeForce 4 that if I remember correctly supports this kind of thing, one 15" flat screen monitor that sucks but I will not buy a new one.

Also the computer is probably 50 feet away from the TV if that means anything.

I have DishNetwork and they say it is not a problem to have two different channels on two different TVs and it will NOT cost extra and they will not need to come out and install it.

I am computer literate and can pretty much figure out most electronics stuff. By this I mean that I can figure out what cables go where, have some basic trouble-shooting skills, etc. but not much beyond common sense and what everyone should be able to do but some people just shut down and don't do when it comes to modern conveniences.

Anyway, my questions are: how much will it cost and what equipment do I need?

PoBoy321
05-04-2005, 04:01 AM
I have absolutely no idea about any of this, but I do want to say that watching TV on your computer is one of the coolest things you can do.

When I was in High School, I used to work with this priest at Fordham University a lot because I was editor of the newspaper and he did all of their media type stuff.

Anyway, he had his computer set up so that his background was a TV, so he would have all of his windows and stuff open, and behind it, we'd be watching Judge Judy, or cartoons or whatever on his background.

Set it up like that. It's awesome.

JaBlue
05-04-2005, 04:06 AM
Yes Poboy it is awesome, but I don't know how to do it.. that's why I'm asking.

SGS
05-04-2005, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it would be aweosme to watch TV at the computer while playing poker, especially if sports are on

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
one 15" flat screen monitor that sucks but I will not buy a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you going to watch TV while you play poker with only one monitor hooked up?

SGS

mmbt0ne
05-04-2005, 05:26 AM
I don't know if the fact that it's a satellite affects it, but usually you can just put a tv tuner card into your computer.

http://www.xpcgear.com/tvtuner.html

JaBlue
05-04-2005, 01:19 PM
what exactly does the TV tuner do? Does this mean that I can only watch whatever channel the TV's on? I don't live alone so if this is the case, the TV Tuner is pretty much useless for me

Shajen
05-04-2005, 01:23 PM
A starting place for you. (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119083,pg,2,00.asp)

JaBlue
05-04-2005, 01:25 PM
ok cool, I will investigate that more.

Second question: is there a way for me to steal whatever NFL subscription service there is?

Shajen
05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
that I don't know.

mmbt0ne
05-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Buy one of those receiver cards from Canada and hope you don't get caught.

JaBlue
05-04-2005, 01:45 PM
what is "one of those receiver cards?"

Although I was only being half-serious, now I'm considering it. Do you know any more specifics?

Guthrie
05-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Talk about killing a gnat with a sledge hammer. Why not just buy a flat-panel monitor with a built-in tuner? Park it beside your computer and turn it on. You can use it as an extra monitor if necessary, but if you're just watching TV you don't waste computer resources on a trivial application. You also don't want to catch a monster on all eight tables of 15/30 and have your computer crash because of a glitch on your TV monitor card.

JaBlue
05-04-2005, 02:05 PM
i'm trying to be economic here Guthrie.

(I'm not rich)

lu_hawk
05-04-2005, 02:12 PM
i would suggest blinds or shades on your windows as a way to reduce daytime glare.