PDA

View Full Version : I HATE being a techie....

whiskeytown
05-04-2005, 03:07 AM
so I have to do my own work...(well, don't have to, but really should)

Biostar M7MIA motherboard...XP installation bluescreens like it's going out of style - memory/page faults - may be a bad BIOS setting, but I don't know for sure -

luckily, I backed up the old HD before installation, but still, what a [censored] nightmare - this thing won't even run the ol' Knoppix CD's I have around - issues with USB - fruck - I hate doing this kind of work again - ah well.

RB

Hojglad
05-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Bluescreening like there is no tomorrow is usually an indication that your RAM is bad. I feel your pain. Hope this works out.

fluxrad
05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Biostar M7MIA motherboard

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey. I found your problem.

whiskeytown
05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
you pretty much nailed it - it had been a server, and I used it for that stuff before moving my stuff over from the P3 600 to try to bring the speed up -

well, suffice it to say, what a crock of [censored]....USB ports lock up, can't install XP - it'll handle win 98, but now that I think about it, I was crashing twice a day...

I'll look for a memory test when I get home.

RB

AviD
05-04-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Biostar M7MIA motherboard

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey. I found your problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO, nh.

astroglide
05-04-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I HATE being a techie...Knoppix CD's I have around...I'll look for a memory test when I get home

[/ QUOTE ]

you must be quite the "techie" to

a) not seem to know what memtest86 (http://www.memtest.org/) is
b) also not know that it is already on recent knoppix cds

http://www.asmik-ace.com/BigLebowski/Pic/Lebowski-54-02.JPG

are you employed, sir?

drexah
05-04-2005, 03:38 PM
actually just got done fixing my computer, i basically ran it for 2 years straight (id reboot every 4 weeks or so), all o fa sudden went to reboot and it wouldnt start up, realized there was like 50 pounds of dust in all of my power supply, cpu fan, vid card. so i cleanedi t all out, had to do a windows repair, and it still was slow..got a top of the line 420w power supply and brand new thermaltake volcano 12 heatsink...then realized my problem after cleaning the dust was simply that i forgot to plug the cpu fan into the power supply ( no wonder my fan was running at like .05 mph and my processor was 170 degrees F. ) heh, luckily i didn't burn out the proc, and found out my problem, and now i have two brand new comp parts.

Freakin
05-04-2005, 05:28 PM
I've gotten to the point where I don't want to troubleshoot problems anymore, so I'm just building a new system....

Should be sweet....

And yes, memory is a likely culprit, since it could be corrupting all the installation files as it goes....

Astro: nice pic reference

Freakin

shadow29
05-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm 95% sure it's your RAM.

This happened to me exactly and I had to replace all my RAM.

Use knoppix to check.

gvibes
05-04-2005, 06:24 PM
About two weeks ago, my otherwise extremely stable computer hard reset, then wouldn't post anymore.

The freaking capacitors exploded. I was a little miffed.

It's all good now, however. EDIT: ie, I bought a new motherboard.

whiskeytown
05-04-2005, 06:30 PM
knoppix doesn't boot on that piece of [censored] -

locks up at USB - tried disabling USB ports - tried the nousb command - no dice -

RB

astroglide
05-04-2005, 06:32 PM
you don't boot knoppix to run memtest

B Dids
05-04-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I HATE being a techie...Knoppix CD's I have around...I'll look for a memory test when I get home

[/ QUOTE ]

you must be quite the "techie" to

a) not seem to know what memtest86 (http://www.memtest.org/) is
b) also not know that it is already on recent knoppix cds

http://www.asmik-ace.com/BigLebowski/Pic/Lebowski-54-02.JPG

are you employed, sir?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know what any of this means, but this post has people looking at me funny and I can't explain why I keep laughing.

whiskeytown
05-04-2005, 06:44 PM
I just got the downloadable floppy version - we'll see how it goes...

and yes, I am employed - just haven't done much hardware since 2001 - LOL - all my old pc check disks are for pc's back in '98 -nowdays I just do the networking thingy -

gratsi -
RB

DemonDeac
05-04-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
actually just got done fixing my computer, i basically ran it for 2 years straight (id reboot every 4 weeks or so), all o fa sudden went to reboot and it wouldnt start up, realized there was like 50 pounds of dust in all of my power supply, cpu fan, vid card. so i cleanedi t all out, had to do a windows repair, and it still was slow..got a top of the line 420w power supply and brand new thermaltake volcano 12 heatsink...then realized my problem after cleaning the dust was simply that i forgot to plug the cpu fan into the power supply ( no wonder my fan was running at like .05 mph and my processor was 170 degrees F. ) heh, luckily i didn't burn out the proc, and found out my problem, and now i have two brand new comp parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, so how did u stop ur computer from gettin really hot?
mine does like crazy. the fan barely works.

astroglide
05-04-2005, 07:35 PM
memtest86+ is better than memtest86. shouldn't be a difference on an older chipset though.

also note that errors can still indicate a problem with the motherboard or cpu, you'll want to look up the error codes and cover basics like checking the temps if the motherboard has a sensor.

whiskeytown
05-04-2005, 08:18 PM
actually, no errors whatsoever -

I'm gonna let it run all night and if it passes every test, try one full format/reinstall (since the damn thing seems to crash at the same spot - setting date/time) - maybe I have a corrupted file -

RB