PDA

View Full Version : Considering the small stack, what's my play here?

Karak567
05-04-2005, 12:11 AM
The small stack is SMALL.

Even though he is VERY small, do you still get mixed up hands such as this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1790)
SB (t585)
Hero (t1480)
UTG (t4145)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t300.

Flop: (t1350) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero pushes, right?

Nottom
05-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Seems fine to me.

grickey
05-04-2005, 12:27 AM
If you are going to call the raise, why not push pre-flop? you are pretty much pot commited anyway. That being said, yes push this flop.

Nick M
05-04-2005, 12:58 AM
yep I would have moved in preflop too. I like being sure I can totally double up in this position, so I will gamble a little. And as far as postflop, I think I would check to him. He calls with an ace if you push yes, but he won't call with anything else. I him a chance to bluff. Even if he took the free card, it's not going to hurt you with this board. If he has nothing you still got to get him to bluff. You need to double up.

jgunnip
05-04-2005, 01:01 AM
I'd push this preflop. Yes SB is about to get blinded out but you aren't by any means still ok if he doubles up. With 4 BB and a monster hand I'd push pre flop and be putting UTG on on roughly top 60%. The pot is a nice t1050 at this point. Don't give UTG a chance to catch a hand by letting him see the flop cheap. UTG probably anticipates your playing very tight because the money is almost there for you.

Given the way you decided to play, pushing is the only play once your ace falls.

david050173
05-04-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to call the raise, why not push pre-flop? you are pretty much pot commited anyway. That being said, yes push this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Push or go for the check raise. If you are not doing one of those you should be folding preflop. I also don't mind pushing preflop. There is a decent change your up against a dominated ace or king. Folding preflop seems weak to me but it might be slightly ev+

Karak567
05-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Good advice guys, I was thinking a PF push would have been good too.

To make a long story short I pushed on the flop and he called with JJ.

He rivered a jack, but that's not really important here, heh.

Matt Walker
05-04-2005, 01:42 AM
I think you have to push this hand espcially if UTG is a decent player at all. He knows there is a short stack and its going to be very hard for anyone to call a raise. I put his range here on about any two if hes decent. He really can't call an all in with most of these hands. Thefore I push.

Given you called, push the flop. A check raise is very dangerous as you don't want to give someone a free chance to beat you on the bubble with a short stack. Do whatever you can to win this hand immediately.

EverettKings
05-04-2005, 01:52 AM
The problem with pushing preflop is that UTG has a fat stack and will be getting about 2:1 on the call. I think he calls with a lot of hands here, and on the bubble with an uber short stack is not the time for this. I like calling, and playing a good flop. On a beautiful board like this I prefer the checkraise all in, but if it were more coordinated, say AT9 two suited, I'd just shove.

-Kings

Newt_Buggs
05-04-2005, 05:01 AM
stop n go. If you push he is almost certain to call since hes getting very good odds. If you call then push on the flop theres a much better chance he will fold. I think this flop is an obvious checkraise though. He is likely to push a wide range of hands knowing that you can't easily call, and even if he checks behind there's no card that will likely help him. The only way he is checking behind is if he is drawing to a 2 outer or a runner runner.

Matt Walker
05-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Actually I wish to take back everything I said before. I just ran a simulation on eastbay's program. Even if we assume this guy is pushing a wide range of hands(22+,A2+,K2+,Q2s+,Q6o+,J7s+,J9o+,T8s+,98s, which seems reasonable) and will call with all of them, which is a little bit of stretch but not much given the pot odds he will be getting, you would actually be better off to folding here than going all in (22.7 v 22.3 percent of prize pool). This suprised me greatly. If his range of raising hands is tighter than this, it would be a very bad all in.

So since pushing is out, I think calling is better than folding. If you check the flop to him after you hit, he shoud bet around 100% of the time so around 1 in three times you will double up.

Matt

Jason Strasser
05-04-2005, 06:15 AM
You have AK. Worst case scenario lets see five cards and make him show you a better hand.

Why are you scared to tangle? You know 1st makes more than 3rd. Limping into third is a great way to go broke playing sngs.