PDA

View Full Version : 66 turns into overpair and faces action ?

tjh
05-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Wierd hand, I had no idea what to put the bettor on so I folded and took the small loss of the BB.

Pokerroom $11 early on. Lots of players like to see the flops at PR.

Seat 2: Big Huni ($2,070 in chips)
Seat 3: simon1982 ($2,115 in chips)
Seat 4: toyotaquinn ($2,210 in chips)
Seat 5: jrcapital1 ($2,270 in chips)
Seat 6: sea horse ($2,100 in chips)
Seat 7: corelzn ($1,470 in chips)
Seat 8: HERO [6/images/graemlins/heart.gif ,6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ] ($1,020 in chips)
Seat 9: zippo82873 ($500 in chips)
Seat 10: Martster ($1,245 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
Big Huni posts blind ($15), simon1982 posts blind ($30).

PRE-FLOP
toyotaquinn calls $30, jrcapital1 calls $30, sea horse folds, corelzn folds, HERO calls $30, zippo82873 folds, Martster folds, Big Huni calls $15, simon1982 checks.

FLOP [board cards 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif,3/images/graemlins/club.gif ,5/images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
Big Huni checks, simon1982 checks, toyotaquinn checks, jrcapital1 bets $90, HERO folds, Big Huni folds, simon1982 calls $90, toyotaquinn folds.

TURN [board cards 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif,3/images/graemlins/club.gif ,5/images/graemlins/spade.gif,J/images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
simon1982 checks, jrcapital1 bets $125, simon1982 bets $300, jrcapital1 calls $175.

RIVER [board cards 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif,3/images/graemlins/club.gif ,5/images/graemlins/spade.gif,J/images/graemlins/spade.gif,6/images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
simon1982 bets $1,695 and is all-in, jrcapital1 folds.

SHOWDOWN
simon1982 wins $2,625.
SUMMARY
Dealer: Martster
Pot: $2,625
Big Huni, loses $30
simon1982, bets $2,115, collects $2,625, net $510
toyotaquinn, loses $30
jrcapital1, loses $420
sea horse, loses $0
corelzn, loses $0
HERO , loses $30
zippo82873, loses $0
Martster, loses $0

yoadrians
05-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Am I reading this right? Did you FOLD 66 to a $90 bet with a flop of 2-3-5? I think you're a little quick to give Villain credit for A-4, a set or an overpair, don't you think?

I would've raised this bet ... and even if I end up folding to a push, I gain more information than you tried to gain here by just folding to the first bet that came along.

FWIW, sure, you could've had a losing hand. But you never bothered to find out, IMHO.

tjh
05-04-2005, 12:13 AM
There were 5 of us that saw the flop. I figured someone had a small PP that suddenly looked good, like mine almost looked good.

Weak ... huh ?

So many players see a flop I figure that someone connected. My outs were pretty limited.

tjh
05-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Also, I play 66 for set value. When I miss the set and decide to play the turn and river what am I hoping for ? That they miss and I can bluff. Seems risky when I can get out for 30 chips right here right now. Playing for the third 6 one card at a time seems risky and although I have a piece of the straight draw ??

Jman28
05-04-2005, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I folded and took the small loss of the BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad logic.

What you put in the pot already does not matter at all.

zaphod
05-04-2005, 04:11 AM
I fold here.
I like to play low pocket pairs for set value early on in a tournament.

To many bad thing could happen here:

-You are already beaten by a straight/two pair/set.
-Overcard coming on the turn or river which makes someone a higher pair.
-even if you hit your set, that might be making someone a straight.

Even if i somehow knew that i had the best hand now,
any card coming on the turn would make me wondering if i still had the best hand.

It is a small pot early in the tournament. You will get better chances later. Fold and stay out of trouble.

Pepsquad
05-04-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold here.
I like to play low pocket pairs for set value early on in a tournament.

To many bad thing could happen here:

-You are already beaten by a straight/two pair/set.
-Overcard coming on the turn or river which makes someone a higher pair.
-even if you hit your set, that might be making someone a straight.

Even if i somehow knew that i had the best hand now,
any card coming on the turn would make me wondering if i still had the best hand.

It is a small pot early in the tournament. You will get better chances later. Fold and stay out of trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is solid advice. You got what you wanted out of your 66. Saw a cheap flop, missed, fold and move on. The reasons for folding are numberous but high on the list are that multiple players saw this flop and you are first to act after the initial flop bet. Remember the old axiom "don't call a bet where you wouldn't call a raise". If you called the ~90 and it was repopped behind you to ~200 could you call it? Hell no.

Pep.

Big Limpin'
05-04-2005, 04:52 AM
Folding is cool. But theres one thing that is HUGE about this board, that gives awfully big impied odds.

NYCNative
05-04-2005, 07:02 AM
How many hands beat you at this point? Not many that would have limped in.

To me it's simple: Any time you think you have the best hand, it's never a bad idea to push if nothing else than to gain information.

Can an overcard hit? Yes, and you can deal with that if you get called. It may not be the overcard the caller wanted.

Does someone have an overpair? Possibly, but they could put you on a set or straight if you show agression, or even a bigger overpair (unless they slow-played Aces).

Did someone hit a set? Possibly but you will find that out VERY quickly and can get out.

NYCNative
05-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Addendum: From the looks of the betting and turn and river, players were fishing for a straight or flush or both. Yeah, they got there. But maybe they wouldn't have if you had priced them out.

Pepsquad
05-04-2005, 07:37 AM
What in the hell are you talking about?

[ QUOTE ]
How many hands beat you at this point? Not many that would have limped in.

[/ QUOTE ]

ALL pocket pairs other than 44 are beating you right now.

[ QUOTE ]
To me it's simple: Any time you think you have the best hand, it's never a bad idea to push if nothing else than to gain information.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? And just what in the hell will you be using that information for as you are buying into your next tournament?

[ QUOTE ]
Can an overcard hit? Yes, and you can deal with that if you get called. It may not be the overcard the caller wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will an overcard hit? Most certainly. How will you deal with that when you get called? Whether it was the overcard one of your (possibly multiple) opponents wanted or not, you'll have no idea.

Insty
05-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Good fold. This is a tricky board for you. You're likely to lose way more chips here by having the 2nd best hand than you'll ever gain. Especially early in a low buy in tournament where nearly everybody is going to pay to draw anyway.