PDA

View Full Version : Hello,Analysts! Incorrect Poker Thinking.

SittingBull
11-20-2002, 05:24 PM
There are some players who are consistent yearly winners but become bent all out of shape when they loss a few sessions or haven't booked a win in two or three weeks.
Recently ,I spoke to a fellow poker player who plays low and medium limit Omaha and Hold'em.
I asked the young man how he was doing.
He was rather sad because he hasn't increased his earnings since June.
I then asked him how he was doing this year,so far.
He then stated somewhat despondently that he was up 35K .
I then asked him y he wasn't happy.
He said he hasn't INCREASED his earnins since June.
There are some players who focus on the "here and now" and disregards their overall success.
This line of thinking is clearly incorrect when relating to being a winning or losing player.

Happy pokering
Sitting Bull /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-20-2002, 05:41 PM
This isn't a whole lot different from being a sales guy who had 2 monster quarters but now is kicking things because midway through this quarter he's no racking up the sales.

But, I disagree with you that this is *incorrect* thinking. Sure, don't get bummed out just because you're in a flat spot, but on the other hand, a real winner NEVER accepts losing. Understand that it happens, but ALWAYS strive to find ways to get back on the winning track again. And focusing on the here-and-now, on playing THIS HAND as well as you can, is the best way to get back on the winning track.

Jimbo
11-20-2002, 06:02 PM
Sittingbull,

I certainly see your perspective but perhaps he needs 70K a year to live in his accustomed style. Perhaps the amount he wins is not as important as the fact that he does win. Perhaps unlike you he would not consider a 35K win for the year successful at all but a miserable failure. People who feel this way often realize how much more they could make at a real world type job and are unhappy by sacrificing the income in exchange for the benefits if they do not make a certain amount for a given amount of effort.

Just a few thoughts,

SittingBull
11-21-2002, 06:59 AM
man is a graduate student majoring in music.
He is currently depending upon poker income for a living.
He told me he has no other income.
I do not know how much of an overhead he has.
But I do believe that he is currently living a simple lifestyle.
Happy pokering
Sitting Bull

SittingBull
11-21-2002, 07:02 AM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif