PDA

View Full Version : would I remember it if I've done acid or shrooms?

HHH
05-03-2005, 07:40 PM
A friend of mine asked me the other day if I'd ever tried LSD or magic mushrooms. I was pretty sure I hadn't, but intrigued by the subject I went about researching the topic on the internet. As it turns out, the possibility might exist. Both LSD and psilocybin can be turned into forms which are invisible and small. LSD is usually found in tab form, which can be easily placed inside a starburst or on a stick of gum, and also can be turned into a clear liquid which can be placed in drinks or on tongues. Mushrooms can be dried and crushed into a powder which can be put onto food or mixed into a tea. It occurred to me that I very easily could have accidentally ingested these hallucinogens and not known it. On the other hand, the trip descriptions on Erowid and other sites do not seem very familiar, and I can't recall having had those kinds of experiences. However, there have been several cases in which I have consumed alcohol and had very hazy recollections the next day. I have tried marijuana (also a hallucinogen) a few times and (at least as far as I remember - those memories are also a little hazy) most of those times I ended up having an anxiety attack and vomiting someplace for a long time.

After clicking around for a while, I happened across a site dedicated to HPPD (persistent acid-related after effects) and I think I have at least a couple of the symptoms. One such symptom is the phenomenon of words on a page moving. I had not noticed it before (perhaps my mind was automatically compensating so that it would not affect me?) but if I stare at a page for ten seconds or so the sentences will sometimes appear to shimmy back and forth. Another symptom involves "after images." By staring at my white desk and then staring at my tan wall and relaxing my eyes I am able to see an outline of my desk, in a neon color which fades gradually (much like the american flag optical illusion). Same with light bulbs. I know these particular illusions are normal but I am unsure about what a normal level of the intensity of the effects might be. Also, if I stare at the corner of a pillar (or, say, the corner of a wall) it buckles slightly and/or appears bowed.

My question is: is it possible for somone to be tricked into trying LSD or psilocybin and not remember it? Or aren't trips usually so intense that the user will remember it very vividly and thus recognize it as a hallucinogen and make a mental note? Have you guys ever heard of someone tripping and not remembering it at all?

I apologize if I come across as schizo or something. About six weeks ago I gave up drinking cold turkey after a year or so of a primarily alcohol-related diet. One of the side effects of alcohol withdrawal is supposedly a mild paranoia. However, given the visual HPPD-esque symptoms I have experienced I would prefer to have one less thing to be paranoid about, and was hoping to get to the bottom of this. IF someone knowledgable out there knows the answer to my question, I would be muy appreciative. Thanks.

Bukem_
05-03-2005, 07:44 PM
You will know it when you are tripping on acid.

KDawgCometh
05-03-2005, 07:48 PM
let me say as someone who has done much more than his fare share of psychedelics, yes you'd certainly remember. Acis is a complete mindfu..ck that I gave up around 4 1/2 years ago. Even one good hit will cause you to trip and explore parts of your mind you never knew existed. As long as you had a decent hit, you'll know it. Shrooms are much more visual and like I said on Acid, you'll know it if you're trippin. I seriously doubt that you have if you're even asking this question

PhatTBoll
05-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Unless you live in an after-school special, I doubt somebody slipped you hallucinogens without your knowledge.

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 08:15 PM
If you have done these, you would know it for sure.

It is impossible to imagine what it feels like to be tripping on either of these if you haven't done them, no matter how high you've gotten off other drugs.

DN

billyjex
05-03-2005, 08:17 PM
never done acid.

but shrooms, yeah, those just fcuk you up, you'd know it.

jokerthief
05-03-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is: is it possible for somone to be tricked into trying LSD or psilocybin and not remember it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go out someday and try to get someone to sell you a hit of LSD and you will realize how ridiculus this statement is.

ethan
05-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Yes, you'd remember. These drugs are far from subtle. Judging from what you've written here, it's probably best for you to continue not having taken real hallucinogens. (You mention weed as one, but its effects aren't anywhere near what you'd get from the drugs you're worried about.)

Best of luck cutting back on the booze, it's not easy but it sounds like it's a good decision.

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you live in an after-school special, I doubt somebody slipped you hallucinogens without your knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

A buddy of mine slipped a small tab of acid into another buddy's food on his birthday(who was one of those uptight guys that is annoying but you allow them to hang out with the group). He ate his food and spit out the paper and said 'wtf', but his attention was diverted. Later he got messed up drinking and on the drive home commented on how crazy the rain looked hitting the windows of the car.

Only a couple people knew about it at the time(not me) and later told the birthday boy, but he didn't get mad. The main perpetrator has repeatedly admitted how f*ed up doing this was in the 9 years that have passed(it was our freshman year in college). Luckily nothing terrible happened, although the people that knew claimed they were watching him closely.

It was really f*ed up thing to do.

DN

___SK___
05-03-2005, 08:55 PM
if you've ever woken up witha condom in your butt and dont remember how it got there, you were probably on something!

drexah
05-03-2005, 08:57 PM
it's definitely possible, but if you have probably a very miniscule dose. the only reason i could think of this logically happen is if someone put the drugs in something for themselves, and you somehow ended up with it..(why would someone waste the money so you could unknowingly take it?) i've definitely smoked laced weed however.

rmarotti
05-03-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will know it when you are tripping on acid.

[/ QUOTE ]

HHH
05-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the replies so far...it definitely seems like something I'd remember, but if someone put LSD in my cake I don't know if I'd realize it, not knowing what a trip is supposed to be like. Weird droplets of rain might not be obvious enough for me to realize I'm under its influence.

Am I correct to assume that smoking laced weed is similar to a regular trip? If I've smoked laced weed, I'd know it, right?

jayboo
05-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Me and my friends put 2 hits of acid in a friends beer one day while we were hanging out after school. We were around 16. We had C.C.D. (church school) that night and he was f**ken trashed and didn't know why. We were sitting there listening to the nun and he kept asking me why the floor is moving, and what up with the flourescent lights looking so strange. When we left for the night we told him what he was on and he freaked out. Starting asking when it will stop /images/graemlins/grin.gif and if it will get worse. It was one of the funniest nights iv'e ever had. Jay. And ya i know it's mean put so are kids.

Alobar
05-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Ive been slipped LCD before (I dont live in an after school special either, [censored] like that happens all the time in the real world), and trust me, you would remember it. It isnt even debatable, its like 100%.

however, the fact that you did so much research and are worrying about it, leads me to belive you have some other issues that may need to be taken care off.

HHH
05-03-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you'd remember. These drugs are far from subtle. Judging from what you've written here, it's probably best for you to continue not having taken real hallucinogens. (You mention weed as one, but its effects aren't anywhere near what you'd get from the drugs you're worried about.)

Best of luck cutting back on the booze, it's not easy but it sounds like it's a good decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's tough so far but if I can just last a year I think I'll be in the clear. Supposedly alcohol withdrawal can include mild hallucinations and delusive thoughts, so I may have subconsciously noticed some strange things happening lately and then rushed to attribute it to lsd/psilocybin use at some point in the past.

At any rate, thanks for the kind words.

Carlito
05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me and my friends put 2 hits of acid in a friends beer one day while we were hanging out after school. We were around 16. We had C.C.D. (church school) that night and he was f**ken trashed and didn't know why. We were sitting there listening to the nun and he kept asking me why the floor is moving, and what up with the flourescent lights looking so strange. When we left for the night we told him what he was on and he freaked out. Starting asking when it will stop /images/graemlins/grin.gif and if it will get worse. It was one of the funniest nights iv'e ever had. Jay. And ya i know it's mean put so are kids.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not cool. Carlito doesn't think you're very cool either.

PhatTBoll
05-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Apologies.

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you live in an after-school special, or have friends who are complete and utter dickholes, I doubt somebody slipped you hallucinogens without your knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

fmp

Jim Kuhn
05-03-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

if you've ever woken up witha condom in your butt and dont remember how it got there, you were probably on something!

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that the voice of experience speaking?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

___SK___
05-03-2005, 11:52 PM
i dont remember, i was on something!

tolbiny
05-04-2005, 12:37 AM
"Best of luck cutting back on the booze"

Interesting side note- acid has been used to treat alcoholics, and was reported to have had a higher success rate than AA

Alobar
05-04-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Interesting side note- acid has been used to treat alcoholics, and was reported to have had a higher success rate than AA

[/ QUOTE ]

when was this? back in the 50s? They used to do all kinds of stupid [censored] back them as "treatment" Acid is sooo bad for you it isnt even funny.

The Ocho
05-04-2005, 01:41 AM
I was broke and thirsty at a Phish concert, so I stole a hippy's bottle of water and chugged it. I still don't know what was in it, but I got pretty messed up.

mosch
05-04-2005, 01:43 AM
The active dose of shrooms involves eating a LOT of nasty tasting shrooms. It simply can't happen accidentally.

As far as acid goes, dosed beverages and candies exist, but the people who have them aren't giving them to random people for shits and giggles; They're selling them for five bucks a pop.

The only reason you can spot similarities is because the mind is naturally capable of psychedelic behaviour. You'd know if you were tripping on acid, it's not a particularly subtle experience.

goodguy_1
05-04-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and trust me, you would remember it. It isnt even debatable, its like 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dabbled in some of this stuff in early HS days I think I was 15-16 years old it was the late seventies way back...doing shrooms are one thing doing multiple tabs of windowpane are something else. I have a very sensitive constitution. Heavy heavy pot smoking,drinking,some hard drug use(seconals,coke,hallicunagens) may have been fun at the time but I regret that I went overboard at a very young age.95% of kids dont go overboard but those that do their lives are irreparably harmed.I havent used drugs or drank for 15 years.

rmarotti
05-04-2005, 05:25 AM
You are a c[/i]ocksucker and should die a horrible and protracted death.

ethan
05-04-2005, 07:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I correct to assume that smoking laced weed is similar to a regular trip? If I've smoked laced weed, I'd know it, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Laced weed" (whatever that means) will not be particularly comparable to real hallucinogens. Furthermore, when you hear people say "this weed must be laced with something!" you can often take this to mean "I have no idea what I'm talking about and this weed is better than what I'm used to." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sure, there are other smokable drugs that you can consume along with weed. They're also virtually all more expensive, so if you buy weed it's not going to contain any of them. Basically, I'm saying you shouldn't worry about this.

chesspain
05-04-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
About six weeks ago I gave up drinking cold turkey after a year or so of a primarily alcohol-related diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should be more concerned about the mind-altering substances you have been guzzling rather than the mind-altering substances you think others have been slipping you.

purnell
05-04-2005, 07:27 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

oH, [censored], MAN. iF U ever DID THISshit you fo'sho' would not forget.

xadrez
05-04-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when was this? back in the 50s? They used to do all kinds of stupid [censored] back them as "treatment" Acid is sooo bad for you it isnt even funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false. LSD research was showing great results in various treatments before the Government put the kibosh on it, placing it in Schedule I and thus not allowing any medical use.

The same is true for MDMA and many other psychedelics. Ecstatcy was solely used for psychological therapy before a guy in Texas started bringing it to discos.

Theres so much literature on this topic its pointless to list it all here. Do a google search for Ibogaine for example. Its an African root that can cure Heroin addiction in a matter of days. The US government refuses to allow testing of it here stateside because its a psychedelic drug.

HHH
05-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, as far as I can tell, alcoholism is a disease involving low levels of serotonin. LSD is structurally similar to serotonin and depending on how old the research you are reading, either acts by jamming up your brain's serotonin receptors, trapping serotonin in there like a reuptake inhibitor), or by encouraging more serotonin to bind with serotonin receptors.

My theory is that this helps alcoholics in the same way that Prozac has been used to help alcoholics - by breaking the association between alcohol and a rush of serotonin.

Serotonin was only "discovered" in the 50s and even today it isn't really understood fully. I can see why they might have once used LSD to help alcoholics but given what we know now I'm not so sure it's worth the risk. For helping alcoholism I think there are safer ways to bump your serotonin levels without having the potentially negative and/or strange side effect of an LSD trip.

Moreover, according to things I've read alcoholics often use alcohol to self-medicate things like schizophrenia, OCD, and depression. I'm not sure if these are the sorts of people who should be using LSD.

This isn't to say that Ibogaine and other psychedelics don't have legitimate medical uses, or even that LSD has no legitimate medical use. It's just that intuitively it'd be a bad idea for an alcoholic to do acid when the alcoholism itself is just a symptom of a larger problem.

texasholdemnut
05-05-2005, 10:43 AM
If you puked smokin pot, your a light weight, acid would have sent you to Belleveiw. No way you wouldn't remember being up for 2 days with [censored] melting all around you.

ricochet420
05-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Are you eating canned mushrooms? 1 g of good cubes and a 250 lb man is GOOD TO GO!!!!!![ QUOTE ]
The active dose of shrooms involves eating a LOT of nasty tasting shrooms. It simply can't happen accidentally.

As far as acid goes, dosed beverages and candies exist, but the people who have them aren't giving them to random people for shits and giggles; They're selling them for five bucks a pop.

The only reason you can spot similarities is because the mind is naturally capable of psychedelic behaviour. You'd know if you were tripping on acid, it's not a particularly subtle experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
05-05-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies so far...it definitely seems like something I'd remember, but if someone put LSD in my cake I don't know if I'd realize it, not knowing what a trip is supposed to be like. Weird droplets of rain might not be obvious enough for me to realize I'm under its influence.

[/ QUOTE ]

People do fuked up shyt like Jayboo is talking about and much much worse all the time. It's quite possible that you might have been given LSD at some point.

But it's extremely unlikely. First of all, even though it can take a while for you to really realize what's going on when you're on acid, when you finally do, it's a pretty strong feeling. Depending on how good the hit is and where your head is at, and most importantly who is around you at the time, you can either sit around, or get hyper, or have your brain fly to the moon like you were a character in Yellow Submarine or some horror flick. Your asking if you had ever likely taken it is a pretty good sign you haven't.

Also backing that up is that lingering after effects are not all that common, and when they do happen, are generally not very serious. I grew up around druggies, and it just wasn't all that common or important, and have taken acid myself, and never had anything like that go on. I'm not saying you have no perceptual problem or brain irregularity, but it's just not likely that acid or shrooms were the cause.

As to what laced marijuana does, calling marijuana a hallucinogenic is kind of like calling a cup of coffee a hallucinogenic. Almost everyone has hit that combination of tired and totally jacked up on coffee that makes you see gremlins out of the corner of your eyes, but that's not the expected effect of caffeine and not the way it normally works.

Pot is laced with all kinds of things, some vicious, like PCP, and some nice and an extra bonus, like hash or honey oil. You won't always be able to tell whether your dope is laced at all; it could just feel like a higher high than usual or a screwy high. The effect will depend entirely on what it's laced with, but if you're hallucinating, it's pretty unlikely it's the pot that's causing it. Any drug can function as the instigator of mental instability, though, and most of us are a lot more uptight than we think -- that's one of the reasons marijuana especially is so popular; it makes you realize how laughably uptight and arbitrary the whole world is, starting with yourself. That kind of knowledge isn't assimilated easily by everyone, though, and makes some people feel like they've just realized they're jerks or laughingstocks. That's one type of paranoia dope can engender.

It sounds like you are asking these questions because you may feel some mental impairment or abnormality due both to your long alcohol abuse and to your changing mental state now that you're coming out of it. Booze can definitely impair your mental functions in different ways, and causes actual brain shrinkage over time. Memory and focus problems aren't uncommon in long-term alcoholics. Look at the way President Bush is famous for drifting off in the middle of his sentences. Watch him furrow his brow when he talks. He had a solid 20 years of abuse in him before he quit at 40.

Some mental symptoms of alcoholism may have been with you for quite some time without your realizing it, and only now become more apparent, since you're off the drug and can notice lapses more easily, being that they don't wash into a general hazy blur anymore, but stand out as exceptional. Some of those symptoms can supposedly clear up, but things like brain shrinkage don't clear up. There's damage that you cannot undo.

If you feel curious enough and either wealthy enough or insured enough to pay for the testing, and aren't worried about an employer seeing the results of your tests, if you're in any danger of that, you might want to speak to your physician about your drinking and what it may have done to you. There's always the off chance that perceptual problems may be a sign of some sort of organic dysfunction that should be looked into to rule out the possibility of disease, too. That's probably not the case, though.

You might want to think about your diet, too. Problems in mental focus are sometimes the result of a sugar cycle gone awry, as with hypoglycemics and diabetics. Other people are extra sensitive to some foods, even foods they previously had no sensitivity to, and find that modifying their diets in small ways makes them feel much more alert. Exercise can do the same thing.

Instead of worrying too much about unlikely things like being drugged unknowingly in the past, you might want to concentrate on the things you have control of now, like diet, exercise, and present-day drug and alcohol intake, and if that's not enough, then perhaps consult with a doctor or nutritionist.

Blarg
05-05-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In Czechoslovakia and other Eastern Bloc countries, acid used to be given in controlled settings by psychologists to their patients. I'm not sure if Western European countries ever did that.

One of the most interesting books I've ever read was written by a Czech psychologist who used acid to treat his patients that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
05-05-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, as far as I can tell, alcoholism is a disease involving low levels of serotonin. LSD is structurally similar to serotonin and depending on how old the research you are reading, either acts by jamming up your brain's serotonin receptors, trapping serotonin in there like a reuptake inhibitor), or by encouraging more serotonin to bind with serotonin receptors.

My theory is that this helps alcoholics in the same way that Prozac has been used to help alcoholics - by breaking the association between alcohol and a rush of serotonin.

Serotonin was only "discovered" in the 50s and even today it isn't really understood fully. I can see why they might have once used LSD to help alcoholics but given what we know now I'm not so sure it's worth the risk. For helping alcoholism I think there are safer ways to bump your serotonin levels without having the potentially negative and/or strange side effect of an LSD trip.

Moreover, according to things I've read alcoholics often use alcohol to self-medicate things like schizophrenia, OCD, and depression. I'm not sure if these are the sorts of people who should be using LSD.

This isn't to say that Ibogaine and other psychedelics don't have legitimate medical uses, or even that LSD has no legitimate medical use. It's just that intuitively it'd be a bad idea for an alcoholic to do acid when the alcoholism itself is just a symptom of a larger problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

The effects of acid are extremely strongly influenced by set and setting. You really have to be in a safe place and ideally feeling good and comfortable with yourself before taking something like acid.

That's why you should take it with only the very, very best of friends in extremely safe conditions. There's always that one guy who thinks it's funny to try to tell you there are werewolves under the couch, or see if he can get you to "almost" jump off the balcony or something. It's surprising how much evil even apparently normal, apparently friend people can have in them.

The average guy probably takes acid in a much less than ideal setting and good mind set. That's one of the things that really makes acid dangerous. Not so much the drug itself, but how vulnerable it makes you to everything else in the world. It doesn't take much to make a vulnerable, opening mind tilt in the wrong direction or spin out of control.

Slacker13
05-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday yet I can remember everything about the times I tripped on acid and shrooms and that was a long time ago.