Vince Young
05-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Discuss.

Voltron87
05-03-2005, 07:38 PM
I really don't want to talk about this.

Vince Young
05-03-2005, 07:41 PM
6-0, top of the order is now batting, still 1 out.

Dead
05-03-2005, 07:44 PM
I might have been wrong about Brown.

Steinbrenner is not going to stand for this.

Someone will get fired, and soon. It is ridiculous that the Yankees have not won 3 games in a row, even once, since the season started.

I think that it could be Stottlemyre.

Los Feliz Slim
05-03-2005, 07:47 PM
After the Sox and the Mets, The Boss can't stand losing to the Rays. It's his hometown, and they suck.

Paging Roger Clemens...please pick up the nearest black courtesy phone.

nothumb
05-03-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the one hand, it's not his fault that the Yankees have an ace who is still great but not in his prime, two over-the-hill veterans (one of whom is a total wreck, Brown), and two overpaid, relatively unproven free agents.

On the other hand, I don't think he's a great pitching coach either, so WGAF?

I wonder if George can figure out a way to trade for Leo Mazzone. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

NT

andyfox
05-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Two bad teams.

Rockatansky
05-03-2005, 08:06 PM
http://seattlebonvivant.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/yankees.JPG

http://www.amgmedia.com/freephotos/fork.jpg

andyfox
05-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Stottlemyre's a good guess. I think perhaps Mattingly too, but he's something of an icon in New York. (Stottlemyre should be, based on hit career as a player and a pitching coach, but he isn't.)

The fact is that the Yankees have a bad team. Their hitting is OK, but right now, they only have three guys hitting (Jeter, A-Rod and Sheffield). The rest of the line-up are losers. Only Matsui will hit appreciably better than he is currently.

The starting pitching is a travesty. Johnson wil miss his next start. Wright is out for 6-8 weeks. Brown can't get anybody out. Pavano can, but only sometimes, same for Mussina. Wang is . . .well, who knows. He'll be forced into on-the-job training.

The team has lost seven of their last nine series and not won more than two games in a row all year. This means that they haven't run into a hot team or some particularly tough pitching. It means they are consistently bad. They'll be 11-16 after tonight. 145 games to go. They'll be hardpressed to win more than 85 games. I'd put the over/under at 81.

MrFeelNothin
05-03-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been discussed. Every day for the past week and a half in fact. And none of it will matter when the yankees get hot and make a run at the division in july.

mostsmooth
05-03-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Someone will get fired, and soon. It is ridiculous that the Yankees have not won 3 games in a row, even once, since the season started.

[/ QUOTE ]
kevin brown is a piece of crap
i must state this again:if he wins 5 games this year it will be a miracle. its looking more and more possible, isnt it?
what a piece of shlt

lu_hawk
05-03-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been discussed. Every day for the past week and a half in fact. And none of it will matter when the yankees get hot and make a run at the division in july.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish this were true as much as any other yankee fan, but you need to be realistic. the core of the lineup has been hot/lucky. jeter, sheffield, a-rod are hitting as well as you can expect. matsui will probably get better, but who else? they've been hitting will and are still going to be 11-16 after tonight. the pitching staff is where the improvement needs to come but look at it. RJ on the DL, wright out, brown is worthless, there are 2 minor leaguers in the rotation, and the bullpen has been horrible. you can't say they are the best team in the AL.

sublime
05-03-2005, 09:46 PM
200m+

the biggest disaster in the history of MLB is about to unfold......

hahahahahahahahaha

Vince Young
05-03-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
about to

[/ QUOTE ]
?

Sponger15SB
05-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I think they're gonna score 160 runs this game.

sublime
05-03-2005, 10:02 PM
its still early in the year.

very likely this will be remembered as the biggest collective waste of money in sports histroy.

mostsmooth
05-03-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its still early in the year.

very likely this will be remembered as the biggest collective waste of money in sports histroy.

[/ QUOTE ]
odd seeing so many boston avatars, when there were none last year
bandwagon has got to be overflowing

Voltron87
05-03-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
kevin brown is a piece of crap
i must state this again:if he wins 5 games this year it will be a miracle. its looking more and more possible, isnt it?
what a piece of shlt

[/ QUOTE ]

I always looked at that prediction and said "man mostsmooth is an idiot". Now I agree with you. I can't stand Kevin Brown, [censored] all your bullshit excuses, I've never heard so many bullshit excuses in my life. Get your [censored] together.

sublime
05-03-2005, 10:51 PM
yeah, cept i have had either a pedro avatar or this one since spring trainign last year (when i first signed up)

its comfortuing to know that i get to cherish how special last year was, and this year will be. i dont care who decides to root root for the sox. i love everybody /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mostsmooth
05-03-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, cept i have had either a pedro avatar or this one since spring trainign last year (when i first signed up)

[/ QUOTE ]
shore you did

Phoenix1010
05-03-2005, 11:03 PM
This is a joke. New York will not stand for this. By the way, I've agreed with Kevin Brown being a loser all along, good call Mostsmooth. I was so upset when I found out Brown hadn't been traded or cut or something, now we have to deal with an almost sure loss every five games. We've got enough problems without him.

sublime
05-03-2005, 11:07 PM
ok /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

andyfox
05-04-2005, 01:19 AM
At last, somebody who can face the facts. They're scoring a decent amount of runs, but you're right: they've been doing it with only three hitters and only Matsui figures to get better. Here are the roster's batting averages other than Jeter, A-Rod and Sheffield:

Womack .270
Martinez .257
Williams .247
Matsui .245
Posada .239
Giambi .217
Crosby .167
Phillips .160
Cano .000

I question the judgment of whomever (Cashman?) felt that Womack was an improvement over Cairo. The Yankees have always gotten good offensive production from the catcher, first baseman, shortstop and center fielder. Only the shortstop will produce this year.

The "big three" on the pitching staff averages 39 years of age. It's going to be a long, painful year.

JTG51
05-04-2005, 01:36 AM
"I question the judgment of whomever (Cashman?) felt that Womack was an improvement over Cairo. "

If that's was a mistake, it's a relatively small one. I really question the judgement of whomever felt Wright was an improvement over Lieber.

Did anyone other than the person that made that decision (you can never tell if it was George or Cashman) not see exactly what's happened with Wright coming?

Jack of Arcades
05-04-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If that's was a mistake, it's a relatively small one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's at least a 1-win mistake I'd say.

Dead
05-04-2005, 01:42 AM
I still think that the Yankees will rebound.

I think that these changes(dumping Bernie, bringing Cano up, moving Womack to left) are good moves. Womack can play a decent left field and we needed a better center fielder. Matsui can do that. He's not a great CF, but he's better than Bernie now.

Our pitching will rebound. We only have to go to Brown every 5th day, and I think that Wang will continue to do decently.

The bats will heat up. They almost always do. This is the New York Yankees.

You may think that I just don't want to face the music, but I really still think that the Yankees will win the AL East. It's not guaranteed anymore, but even if they don't win the division I think that they will get the wildcard.

Aytumious
05-04-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The bats will heat up. They almost always do. This is the New York Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this a few times and it really is quite meaningless. As Andy has pointed out in this thread, a few of the yanks are hitting now and the ones who are not really cannot be expected to improve that much anyway. The fact that "it's the Yankees" really doesn't say anything.

The problem is clearly starting pitching and defense. It is not easy to find 2-3 quality starters during the year when you really don't have much in the way of tradeable commodities. So you are stuck with this team, for the most part, for the rest of the year.

Jack of Arcades
05-04-2005, 02:53 AM
The problem with moving Womack to left is even if he was the greatest defensive LF ever (say, Barry Bonds circa 1991), he's still a horrible hitter and will contribute nothing.

It's not like it'd be terribly hard to pick up, say, Adam Hyzdu, who'd probably at least give you something resembling offense.

daryn
05-04-2005, 03:07 AM
you have this constant problem where you mix up the words think and hope

andyfox
05-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Yes, relying on someone with Wright's history, rather than somebody with Lebier's demonstrated gut and determination, is a bigger error, I agree. Seems as if the Yankees like to pick up guys who beat them (Randy Johnson and Womack in 2001, Jared Wright way back in 1997).

Looks like young Henn and Wang are going to get some on-the-job training. This could get even uglier.

andyfox
05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
As a Yankee fan, I wish I could agree. Which bat will pick up? Matsui, one would think, is a certainty. Posada a probaility. Giambi a possibility. But certainly Jeter and Sheffield will cool off some, so I don't see them finishing higher than 3rd or 4th in runs scored. Which would be OK is they could get some consistency up and down the line-up.

Womack as the left-fielder? It's horrid. I think Matsui played center field when he was in Japan, so he should be OK. Heck, we won two World Series with an outfield of Piniella, Mickey Rivers and Reggie Jackson so anything's possible.

But look at the ages on the team:
34: Posada, Giambi
35: Womack, Rivera
36: Mussina, Quantrill
37: Stanton, Martinez, Sheffield, Williams, Flaherty
39: Groom
40: Brown
41: Johnson

Not a roster that you would expect to pick up the pace as the season progresses.

They should improve if only becasue they've now gone 9-16 over twenty fives games and almost no team is that bad.

xadrez
05-04-2005, 12:32 PM
A Steinbrenner firing binge is not what the Yankees need.

They need a complete overhaul/rebuilding which is impossible due to gigantic contracts and aging players, the NY media, etc etc. As a Yankee fan I would not be upset to see the team rebuild, but apparently Im in the minority. I think a top priority should be developing their farm system which is pretty piss poor right now, instead of showcasing Robinson Cano so they can deal him for whatever overpayed fatass is available at the deadline (I forsee Brian Giles this season).

A continuation of what the team has been doing recently is not going to turn things around. The 80's are back for the Yankees and until Steinbrenner gets out of the way itll be very hard to construct a team anything remotely like the one who dominated in the 1996-2000.

Theres a good piece on this today actually on ESPN.COM

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=2051491)

Shajen
05-04-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a Yankee fan I would not be upset to see the team rebuild, but apparently Im in the minority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard a lot of Yankees fans say this. Apparently, you guys need to hold a meeting or something.

Tboner7
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Will big Stein allow the team to rebuild? I don't think he can really stand losing, even if it meant winning just a few years later.

andyfox
05-04-2005, 10:37 PM
They're now 9-17 their last 26 games, giving up 8 or more runs in eleven of them.

Dead
05-04-2005, 10:50 PM
You sound positively elated. Why not go root for Chicago? I hear they're winning. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nothumb
05-04-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

zing!

NT

ethan
05-04-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're now 9-17 their last 26 games, giving up 8 or more runs in eleven of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, at least they scored a bunch this time.
http://img156.echo.cx/img156/5207/gamestats3ir.jpg

Duke
05-04-2005, 10:59 PM
The Tampa Bay coach should be fired, since beating up on another team like that is unsportsmanlike.

~D

Dead
05-04-2005, 11:01 PM
They're called managers in baseball.

And I like Piniella.

Dead
05-04-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called being a fan.

People like andyfox and other Yankee fans on here might think that the season ends in early May. It doesn't.

The Yankees only won 87 games the last year that they won the World Series.

Jeez.

daryn
05-04-2005, 11:03 PM
i'm pretty sure the players call him "coach"

Dead
05-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Lots call him Sweet or Lou or Sweet Lou, I would imagine.

daryn
05-04-2005, 11:04 PM
obviously YOU call him sweet lou, along with big poppa

Dead
05-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Lou loves the Yankees. He came out to the mound at Yankee Stadium for Old Timers day last year.

And he hates the Red Sox.

So I don't hate losing to the D-Rays.

daryn
05-04-2005, 11:24 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Lou loves the Yankees. He came out to the mound at Yankee Stadium for Old Timers day last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

more solid logic

Dead
05-04-2005, 11:24 PM
My sarcasm detector is broken.

sublime
05-04-2005, 11:50 PM
You sound positively elated. Why not go root for Chicago? I hear they're winning.

he is being logical. why not give it a try for like one minute.

jdl22
05-04-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called being a fan.

People like andyfox and other Yankee fans on here might think that the season ends in early May. It doesn't.

The Yankees only won 87 games the last year that they won the World Series.

Jeez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a fan means that what you hope will happen with your team and what you think will happen should coincide? Am I still a 49er fan if I don't think we'll make it to the Super Bowl next year? Am I less of a Blazer fan somehow because I didn't think we would make the playoffs?

sublime
05-04-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, there is something wrong with you.

Dead
05-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Not at all.

It's just lame seeing all of these stupid Yankee-bashing threads from supposed Yankee fans.

I know the Yankees have problems. We can't seem to get good pitching and good hitting at the same time.

But I still have faith. Fans should have faith. It doesn't sound like Andy has any.

Dead
05-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Yo I luvz your team of total thugs.

You guys can't go more than a week without getting into a brawl and getting suspensions.

Try showing some class. It's not Tampa Bay's fault that they have young pitchers who can't keep it in the zone.

And that Arroyo guy is a total pussy, just like Pedro was. Oh, I think I'll throw at someone, and then run away when they come at me.

And by the way, you guys aren't doing so hot either.

Way to defend your WS title by being third in the AL East.

Vince Young
05-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Someone hit a nerve. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Boston's in 2nd btw.

sublime
05-05-2005, 12:01 AM
i will end this by saying its obvious your are a clown.

see you in october. oh wait. no we wont!!!

ahhahahahaaaaaaaahahahahhahahahahaaaaaa

wang, wang, wang, wang, wang!!!!!

Dead
05-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Wang &gt; Schilling this year.

Better put some more fake blood on that ankle, Curt. And make sure to post about it on SOSH so all the Sox fanboys can lick it off.

Grrrrr

contentless
05-06-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wang &gt; Schilling this year.

Better put some more fake blood on that ankle, Curt. And make sure to post about it on SOSH so all the Sox fanboys can lick it off.

Grrrrr

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump for all of Dead's statements. 1) Wang &gt; Schilling. 2) The problem is with Yankee hitting, not Yankee pitching. 3) Yankees will win the AL East.

Tool.

BigD226
05-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I'd just like to add that the Yankees are now in LAST place, with the biggest payroll in the history of sports...six months after pulling the biggest choke in the history of sports. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whether this lasts or not, it sure is fun to watch right now.