PDA

View Full Version : Two Lesser Known Pool Players (Long)

Jimbo
11-20-2002, 02:09 PM
In the late 60's and early 70's there were very few nationally renowned pool players. People recognized the names of Minessota Fats, Willi Mosconi, Jimmy Caras and perhaps Ralph Greenleaf and Wimpy. My story is about two lesser known but well accomplished road players more commonly known as hustlers, Max (The Gentleman) Walker and Mike Waltrip (privately aka Wimpy as well).

Now my story focuses primarily on Mike but I wanted to mention Max since he was my mentor and was such a contrast to Mike. Max Walker strolled into the Northpark Recreation Billiard Parlor, in Joplin, Missouri, sometime around the Spring of 1969. Even though I was still considered a pup my all-around pool prowess was matched by few in the midwest. Max was a master at snooker as well as many other variations of billiards, with or without pockets. He exemplified the kind of player I wanted to be so emulating his style and demeanor came naturally. He taught me more about snooker than I had previously imagined I had yet to learn. He is the only person I have ever seen run a snooker table (with 15 cherries) back to back. This feat was performed on an AMF table with much tighter pockets than the old Brunswicks making it all the more remarkable. I learned a great deal about what was important in life as well as pool from Max. He is the reason I never really hustled but played my best at all times, keeping me from avoiding many of the pitfalls of a true hustler. This is where the comparison to Mike and my story begins.

It was two days before Thanksgiving in 1970, due to the wisdom of the US Army I was scheduled to enter the Armed Forces on Thanksgiving day of this very year. I felt I needed more traveling money to begin this new chapter of my life so I drove to Pittsburgh, Kansas to increase my $100 bankroll with as little risk as possible. This was Mike's hometown but as often as I played there I never saw him as he was normally on the road. I couldn't pick him out of lineup by face but was well aware of his name and reputation. As I walked in Sugar Bears looking for action it was nearly deserted but the bartender offered to call a friend to come play if I was interested. Well I had my cue, my bankroll and a mission so I told him to call anyone he wanted. I overhear him on the phone say Wimpy, this was my clue I might be in trouble. As he arrived he introduced himself with some bogus name but I knew who he must really be. Actually this bogus itroduction was very useful and I intended to use it to my advantage. This was clearly a set-up meaning I would most likely begin our session ahead.

At any rate we agreed to play nineball for $10 a game. The bartender knew I would play higher if I thought I had the best of it but did not know I was on a limited bankroll. Mike intentionally lost the first 4 games to me then asked if I "wanted to jack it to $50". I knew I had releatively no chance against him from this point forward whether I agreed to raise the bet or not. I had to make a quick decision and told him I agreed as long as he could show me an ID that said his name wasn't Mike Waltrip. Talk about a surprised look on his face, as well as the bartenders! Of course we then introduced ouselves to each other and I explained my mission. He wished me well in the Army and then proceeded to bitch out the bartender for getting him hustled! LOL, imagine that, me hustling Mike Waltrip. This would never have happend to Max due to his philosophy and I vowed then and there it would never happen to me either

The moral of the story is when in a hustle be sure to know whether you are the hustler or the hustlee!

riffraff
11-20-2002, 05:39 PM
Great Story!

thebroker
11-20-2002, 09:41 PM

MCS
11-21-2002, 04:58 AM
Good story; thanks!

Jimbo
11-22-2002, 01:37 AM
Thanks to Broker, MCS and rifraff I am glad you liked it.