PDA

View Full Version : Is PV worth it for the SnG'er?

dfscott
05-03-2005, 05:10 PM
As you may already know, Playerview is now a commercial product. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2301509&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1). They're charging $50 for it. If I was playing limit ring, I would pay this without batting an eye, but I can't decide if it's really worth it for NL SnGs.

ChoicestHops
05-03-2005, 05:21 PM
I gotta say no. I dont see PV helping me in SnG's or tournaments.

However, like you said, for limit it is a must have.

DasLeben
05-03-2005, 05:53 PM
I think for multitabling, Playerview can help by giving you a general idea of a player's tightness. I've tended to use VPIP for this. As some folks have already pointed out, however, VPIP may mean one thing at blinds 10/15, and another thing at 150/300. Thus, I think playerview is a good tool for SNGs to simply aid your reads. You still need to be able to put your opponent on a calling range the old fashioned way, but I think playerview can show a bit of statistical backing to give you a bit more confidence while multitabling.

Phoenix1010
05-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Haven't used it at all for SnG's. Very rarely come across anyone I've played a good number of games against (at the low buy-ins I assume it would be more useful for the smaller player pools at the higher ones), and even when I do, the changing blind levels, and the fact that people don't always get to the higher levels, make it hard to make sense of any of the stats. I also like to have PT importing hands constantly while I'm using PV, and I don't think you can import hands and tournament histories at the same time (I like to have it constantly importing TH's so my stats get updated and so I can pick out hands to post on here).

Slim Pickens
05-03-2005, 06:15 PM
I like PV, but somehow 2 buy-ins seems like a lot for a product where the "stable" version froze a lot.

hummusx
05-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Actually you can. I have PT on a 1 minute import and PV on a 1 minute refresh. I get stats update on screen every 2-3 hands. I don't think you can get too detailed with it, but I do like it because a) it immediately notifies me of someone that I've played a lot b) I can immediately spot people that are on multiple tables with me and c) knowing that someone's VP$IP is 60 vs 25 is pretty useful, even across blind levels. It just gives me a little bit of info on them that I can pick up at a glance. Also I find it occasionally useful in marginal situations if someone has a VP$IP of 50 and a PFR of 0 and all of a sudden they raised it PF, and also to see that they are 100/100 for folding to steals or 0/0 for folding to steals.

Phoenix1010
05-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Interesting. Yes, I guess it could be useful. I'll give it a try now.

Freudian
05-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Considering around six out of my opponents each SnG is new to me, it is pretty useful to get a machine 'read' on them.

Of course the PT tourney time window does the same thing, and GT+ will do it in the future. But PV is pretty hasslefree to use.

1C5
05-03-2005, 07:37 PM
With the ring games I play to clear bonuses and the fact that I do use and like PV for SnGs and the fact I have a new computer that allows PT to update every 1 minute (Old computer wouldn't let me, too memory intensive), I admit I did spend $50 (which I thought was steep) on PV yesterday. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Scuba Chuck
05-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Out of curiousity what is GT+?

pergesu
05-03-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
GameTime+, same idea as PV. Takes PT stats and puts em up on the screen for easy ref.

Freudian
05-03-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
GameTime+, same idea as PV. Takes PT stats and puts em up on the screen for easy ref.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the exception that it doesn't work for SnGs. Yet.

Blarg
05-03-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm a huge fan of PV and GT(I like Gametime better myself) for ring games, but think they're pretty useless for SNG's.

That may change when I have thousands of SNG's under my belt, but probably not by too much. Too many of the people in my SNG's are new people each time for me to accumulate many stats on them. And the stats I'm going to get on the ones that repeat will need a very long time to be worth anything, because unlike ring games, in SNG's a raise isn't a raise isn't a raise; a raise means something completely different depending on blind levels, stack size of the raiser, and stack sizer of everyone else. Someone may well raise with 72o at the 200/400 blind level yet not raise with QQ at the 15/30 level. The time it would take to even out what a PFR or a VPIP would mean to account for varying levels would be enormous, if it could even be a useful figure at all. My chances of playing any one person in SNG's an enormous number of times? Right now I rarely even see anyone twice.

Benholio
05-03-2005, 10:05 PM
I thought PV would be pretty useful for SNGs, but in the end all I used it for was to identify known tight players (100+ hands), which can easily be done with auto-export of notes in PT anyway.