PDA

View Full Version : How can I call this?

ace_in_the_hole
05-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Is there anyway I could have called the turn all in?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 ($72.4)
CO ($80.25)
Button ($46.79)
SB ($92.75)
BB ($14.25)
Hero ($50.55)
UTG+1 ($50)
UTG+2 ($56.45)
MP1 ($56.9)
MP2 ($34.91)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, SB calls $7.

Turn: ($26) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $40</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $66

ace_in_the_hole
05-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Oh yeah, guess what he showed me/

kurto
05-03-2005, 03:57 PM
"Is there anyway I could have called the turn all in?"

Any reads? Has the guy been a maniac throughout?

You would think if he's NOT a maniac, he'd have to at least have 2 pair.

If he's a maniac, he could have A6.

ace_in_the_hole
05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
So with no reads, you lay it down? I had no reads whatsoever. Also he showed me 78

kurto
05-03-2005, 04:37 PM
The only thing that bothered me about his play is the MASSIVE overbet. That's a bet that 90% of the time doesn't want to be called.

There are plenty of idiots who will play this way with nothing more then top pair.

But without a read, I'm inclined to fold.

Though I don't always do it, sit down at the table but sit out for a whole round and study your opponents. I would bet this player would show his tendencies fairly quickly. Usually lags/maniacs make themselves know pretty quickly.

There are people who will overbet with the nuts trying to get callers. There are others who do it to buy the pot. Without an idea about the player, you're basically flipping a coin.

Zag
05-03-2005, 04:53 PM
The short answer is "No, there's no way you can call. You made a good laydown, even if it turned out badly this time."

The much longer answer is that AK is the hardest hand to play, and it plays very poorly in this stack size where you have about 100 BBs, especially out of position. AK plays well with tall stacks, over 200 BBs, and it plays well with shorter stacks, &lt;50 BBs. However, right in the 100 range, you have exactly this problem -- By the time you decide to get away from it, you have already put in 25%-40% of your stack.

The problem is that TPTK, which is what you are going to make with AK most of the time it hits anything, is only "worth" around 25-40 BBs. If someone is going deeper than 40 BBs, it usually means that they have TPTK beat. But you have to get up in that range before they convince you.

With the larger stacks, you are getting away from it at about the same number of BB's, but this now represents only about 15% of your stack. The implied odds that you now have for the times you actually have a monster means that people can not afford to take the sorts of shots at you that this opponent did (at least not too many times). Sure, it will work 3 out of 4 times they try it, but on that 4th time you get back all that money and more.

With the smaller stacks, you are already 50-75% deep by the time you have reason to think you are behind, so you just push it in anyway. Again, this means that opponents can not afford to take shots like the one your opponent is taking, because you'll just call.

The solution to this problem is preflop. When out of position, just limp with your AK, and lay it down to a raise and a reraise behind you. Pretend it was just 67, if that helps. If the pot is small at the flop, then you can check-raise with TPTK and you will still only be in the 20 BBs range. If the opponent reraises your check-raise, you know you are beat and you can lay it down.

Gustavo
05-03-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The solution to this problem is preflop. When out of position, just limp with your AK, and lay it down to a raise and a reraise behind you. Pretend it was just 67, if that helps. If the pot is small at the flop, then you can check-raise with TPTK and you will still only be in the 20 BBs range. If the opponent reraises your check-raise, you know you are beat and you can lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just Curious, limping AK even in early pos , dosent it take way much of AK strenght, since AK plays well vs 1 or two callers max. I dont know why but just dosent sound well limping AK even out of position. Am i the only one raising AK every spot ? With Ak i always try to isolate