PDA

View Full Version : How often do you go to the dentist?

sexypanda
05-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Pocket Trips
05-03-2005, 03:29 PM
once a lifetime... I am English /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

gorie
05-03-2005, 03:36 PM
you should definitely be going to the dentist at least once a year for xrays checkup and every 6 months for cleaning.
it is worth it, teeth are important.

i went like 10 years without going to the dentist, then last year (im 25) i decided i wanted to get braces. so i went to the dentist first to make sure everything was ok and to find out more about it. i ended up having a molar decaying in my mouth i didn't even know anything was wrong (i couldn't see anything wrong with it and it didn't hurt). and i brush 3 times a day ! it was definitely a shock to hear that, i've always been protective of my teeth and hated the thought of having to lose one. so i had to have a molar extracted, which sucked. also had a cavity and had to have some wisdom teeth removed that were impacted.

so after that i made my boyfriend go to the dentist too since he hadn't been for a long time either and it made me nervous. he brushes regularly and still had to have some root canals/crowns and like 5 fillings. luckily didnt have to have any removed like me.

anyway now i am completely obsessive about teeth ! it doesn't cost that much to get a cleaning and a check up at least once a year. and it will be a LOT cheaper than having to pay for extractions/fillings/crowns/bridges/implants, etc!!

don't forget to floss, either. flossing is very important, floss every day !!! thats where i screwed up i think cuz i hardly ever use to floss. now i floss all the time even tho it sucks flossing w/ braces.

its so important to take care of your teeth...

also get one of those sonicare toothbrushes for $100 or whatever, they rule.

Six_of_One
05-03-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

so after that i made my boyfriend go to the dentist too since he hadn't been for a long time either and it made me nervous. he brushes regularly and still had to have some root canals/crowns and like 5 fillings. luckily didnt have to have any removed like me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he got a 2nd opinion before having any of that work done. Dentists are notorious for doing all kinds of work on people who haven't been in a long time, whether or not they actually need it done.

felson
05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
I have my teeth cleaned every three months.

gorie
05-03-2005, 04:00 PM
p.s. nitrous SUCKS.... terrible terrible. if you have kids don't let them use it on your kids at the dentist. i'll never go near that dangerous stuff again. i had a traumatizing near death experience getting my wisdom teeth out with nitrous + general anesthesia... ugh i hate thinking about it .. being conscious of being unconsious was scary enough, spinning out and having a brain orgasm from pressure and and being 100% sure that you're dying is not fun /images/graemlins/frown.gif scariest fight of my life that i can't even begin to explain in a way anyone would understand. i still swear i heard the heart monitors going crazy right before i "died" but when they got me conscious again they were holding me down and said "must have just been a bad dream, we gave you too much nitrous" ... and didn't seem freaked out about it. what i experienced was not a dream i know that. but i'll never know what really happened while i was unconscious (except what was going on in my mind that i will always remember), they were too busy trying to put me back under so they could start surgery to even explain or calm me down decently. i think they were hoping i would forget any of it happened after they put me back under. oh well..

i know people think its fun to do drugs but they're stupid. and dentists are stupid for using that crap.

BusterStacks
05-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Wow, holy crap. Did you ever read that Stephen King short story where the same thing happened? Sounds terrifying!

gorie
05-03-2005, 04:04 PM
no.. is there really a story or are you making fun of me ?

BusterStacks
05-03-2005, 04:06 PM
No, I'm serious. My Dad was telling me about it. I didn't actually read the story. I'll try to find the book though, it's a collection of short stories.

gorie
05-03-2005, 04:11 PM
i'd be very interested to read it, although i'm sure it will freak me out really bad. just being reminded of what happened to me freaks me out.
i was messed up for weeks after that happened questioning every little thing about life and death.. eventually i learned it is better to pretend it was a bad dream (after a couple weeks that was more easy to accept even though i know it is not true) or a "bad trip" and not think about it. i would drive myself insane otherwise. i think i was suffocating.

Pinga
05-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Good timing for this thread. I had 4 teeth pulled last Thursday. It sucks. I will second the vote to go to the dentist regularly.

I opted for nitrous only, no anaesthesia. I don't think the nitrous helped much. I needed a ton of novacaine.

They kept talking in code thinking I couldn't understand what was going on. Like she didn't want to say anything about blood so she would look at the suction girl and say "red please". It was kind of funny.

I can solve a magic-eye picture pretty fast, but I can report with confidence that poker + vicodin = -EV.

Speaking of which, I'm due for another pill.

JMP300z
05-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Im in school going to be a dentist...trust me, becoming a dentist is way worse than going to the dentist. Dental school is brutal.

Great profession though. If you have any questions I can probably answer them.

-JP

gvibes
05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im in school going to be a dentist...trust me, becoming a dentist is way worse than going to the dentist. Dental school is brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that you're in one of your first two years? Because your third and fourth years are jokes.

JMP300z
05-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Exactly, Finals week of my first year. And yes I am aware that 3/4 year are much better..I just pray I make it there. Im doing well gradewise etc and I study a lot less than most (finding time for poker), but I still hate going to class from 8-5 every day and all the BS crap they try to get us to learn.

-JP