PDA

View Full Version : AQs post flop

11t
05-03-2005, 02:37 PM
10+1 on Poker Stars. Is this pretty standard?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t2085)
SB (t1135)
BB (t2580)
UTG (t2285)
UTG+1 (t1295)
MP1 (t1290)
MP2 (t810)
CO (t2020)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t375) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1935</font>

Matt Walker
05-03-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd play this a couple different ways. Most likely I'd just call the bet and hope for a favorable turn and if he bet huge and I missed I'd let it go. Raising to 350 is good to with the intention of checking behind if you don't improve. I prefer the first line though because there are a lot of hands I do this with whereas the second line screams draw. If you like to min raise the flop with more hands then I do then go for the second one as it won't give your hand away to an opponent.

I definatly wouldnot raise all in. You only get called by a hand you are worse than a coinflip with.

EverettKings
05-03-2005, 02:49 PM
It's not bad, but I'd prefer to just raise the flop to 500-600 or so. If he would fold to the all in he would probably fold for 500, and if he was calling you anyway you might as well give yourself a shot to hit your draw before you get your money in. If you get called he's probably checking the turn to you and you can take a free card if you don't make your hand. If he pushes the flop you still call because you have a million outs. This is a fun spot to be in, but pushing outright kills some of the value of your hand.

-Kings

Rosencrantz1
05-03-2005, 02:52 PM
I would re-raise 200-250 PF. You probably have the best hand preflop so you should get more chips in.

hummusx
05-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Does everyone call this bet PF? Maybe I'm too tight, but given where this tournament is at I don't like to call this, especially since there are still two people behind me. This is probably just the Party mentality though, I guess you've still got over 40BBs. I rarely call raises with AQ though, unless it's down to just a couple players.

jcm4ccc
05-03-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't like calling the raise with AQ, because you can never be comfortable that you have the best hand if an Ace hits the flop. So you're really looking for a Q high flop, which is not that common. However, I like your flop play. You have a lot of fold equity and a ton of outs (I would say you have fifteen outs -- any heart, any king, half credit for your aces and queens).

willie
05-03-2005, 03:03 PM
extremely standard.

PocketJokers
05-03-2005, 03:15 PM
I raise about 500 on the flop. He'll probably lay it down but if he repops, great, there'd be almost no way I'd lay this down. Looks to me like a continuation bet from something like AK or 99. I'm doing the math in my head but I think your atleast even money here against anything he could have.

dfscott
05-03-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does everyone call this bet PF? Maybe I'm too tight, but given where this tournament is at I don't like to call this, especially since there are still two people behind me. This is probably just the Party mentality though, I guess you've still got over 40BBs. I rarely call raises with AQ though, unless it's down to just a couple players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this at first as well, but this is PokerStars -- there's a lot of poker to be played here and I think you need to play a good hand like this.

11t
05-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Who cares if I have the best hand preflop? I dislike min-raising back and if I am reraising him I'm raising it at least 450. However with position I would rather call and see a flop, by calling it makes my hand look weaker than it is and often times I can stack off some guy with a weaker ace. Although I doubt somebody raising UTG has a weaker ace than I do.

I dunno I play Ak/AQ pretty weird, I really dislike raising with it preflop unless I am reasonably sure I can buy the pot right there. I am much more interested in having the best hand on the river or winning the pot early.

Matt Walker
05-03-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you have fifteen outs -- any heart, any king, half credit for your aces and queens).

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not think your aces and queens are good and less you get one on the turn and one on the river if he calls this huge overbet.

Am I the only one who doesn't like raising to 450+? The guy only has 1200 chips, by rasing like this you cut down on your implied odds considerably because stacks aren't as deep. What if he calls and pushes the turn? Extremely awkward situation for you where the pot is 1700 and its 700 to call so you almost have to but your commiting chips when your so far behind. Also if you make this raise and he calls what happens if you get an ace or queen on the river? Can you call his all in then?

Also if he comes back over the top of you you also have to call when you are almost definatly less than 50 percent to win the pot.

Basically if you gamble early like this you better be good at playing the big stack in the tournament esp. on the bubble.

Matt Walker
05-03-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would re-raise 200-250 PF. You probably have the best hand preflop so you should get more chips in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think reraising an UTG raiser with AQ when you will be out of position on the flop isn't a good idea. I'd be much more inclined to fold, though calling is preferred.