PDA

View Full Version : LA Restaurants

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 01:48 PM
What are some good LA restaurants? I have a friend flying in for her birthday and am looking to take her somewhere nice, yet won't break the bank($50-$100/person, a little more w/ drinks) and is very tasty. Japanese is always good, but we can pretty much eat anything.

We eat Nobu/Matsuhisa occasionally, so it would be better if it was something different.

DN

shant
05-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Barefoot on 3rd and Robertson.

http://www.barefootrestaurant.com/

Tron
05-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I like Katana on Sunset. My favorite part is that there are as many beautiful young hostesses as there are old Japanese chefs, and there are at least a dozen old Japanese chefs.

I would say it's a little expensive based upon the quality of the food alone, but the atmosphere makes up for it. (Don't get me wrong, the food is great, but it's LA, so I'm allowed to be picky when it comes to sushi)

It will probably cost about $75 per with drinks.

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say it's a little expensive based upon the quality of the food alone, but the atmosphere makes up for it. (Don't get me wrong, the food is great, but it's LA, so I'm allowed to be picky when it comes to sushi)

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like an interesting place, but a bit too "LA-scene" for my tastes. I prefer "hidden-gems" type places. And from the reviews on Citysearch, it sounds llike the food is just good, when I am looking for excellent. But this will still be on the short list on places to go that weekend.

Anymore suggestions? Has anyone eaten that Japanese restaurant on Sawtelle with the fixed menu? Or the one in Hollywood?

DN

andyfox
05-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Beacon in Culver City, on Washington in the old Helms Bakery building. Rated #1 in the city in L.A. Magazine, great food, relaxed place, Japanese in tone, but not exlusively so. Reasonably priced (especially compared with Matsuhisa and Nobu). Try the fruit-infused sakis.

Six_of_One
05-03-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And from the reviews on Citysearch, it sounds llike the food is just good, when I am looking for excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you could find plenty of good places in your price range, but I don't know if you're likely to find anything "excellent." The best food (Japanese or otherwise) I've ever had is at Urasawa, in Beverly Hills. Cost is $250 each for the meal (not including drinks, tax, tip), so it's probably out of the question for this occasion, but you should really check it out sometime.

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beacon in Culver City, on Washington in the old Helms Bakery building. Rated #1 in the city in L.A. Magazine, great food, relaxed place, Japanese in tone, but not exlusively so. Reasonably priced (especially compared with Matsuhisa and Nobu). Try the fruit-infused sakis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was just reading about this place on CitySearch. This will definitely be a choice.

DN

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you could find plenty of good places in your price range, but I don't know if you're likely to find anything "excellent." The best food (Japanese or otherwise) I've ever had is at Urasawa, in Beverly Hills. Cost is $250 each for the meal (not including drinks, tax, tip), so it's probably out of the question for this occasion, but you should really check it out sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definitely check this place out sometime, preferably when dining with a friend rather than with someone that I am paying for. I love high-end stuff like this, but I don't think I am willing to pay for two at a place like this.

I am not looking for "out-of-this world" food, but the reviews for Katana suggest that people are there more for the ambience than the food. For Beacon, it seems they like the food but have average ratings for service. I would strongly lean towards Beacon in this case.

These are all good recommendations, though.

DN

Six_of_One
05-03-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

I've heard conflicting things about Beacon...so you're saying it's worth trying? Any particular items that stood out?

Six_of_One
05-03-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't blame you for not wanting to pay for 2...I spend around $370 there just for myself, so doubling that starts to get pretty expensive. It's just as well for me that my girlfriend doesn't eat sushi.

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't blame you for not wanting to pay for 2...I spend around $370 there just for myself, so doubling that starts to get pretty expensive. It's just as well for me that my girlfriend doesn't eat sushi.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a cheaper alternative, I am strongly looking at going to Sasabune on Sawtelle. I have always wanted to try that place and the reviews are nothing but positive.

DN

Los Feliz Slim
05-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Grace on Beverly Blvd - My #1 restaurant in LA.

Traxx at Union Station downtown - Not a lot of people go here but the food is excellent and the ambience is very cool.

Blair's on Rowena in Los Feliz/Silverlake - Great food, owner was the chef at the Water Grill. Small place, cozy, GREAT for a date.

Patina at Disney Hall - Expensive and a little over-the-top with the "foodiness", but the food is consistently top-notch and if you like architecture and haven't been to Disney Hall, it's a great choice.

Melisse on Wilshire in Santa Monica - Maybe the best food in LA, extremely expensive and kind of stuffy.

I could go on and on, but these are my favorites this week. I can't stand Barefoot, byt the way.

dsm
05-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Post deleted by dsm

wayabvpar
05-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Pink's rules all. Maybe a quick stop at In N Out too.

shant
05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's with out-of-towners and Pinks? I live across the street from this place and I've eaten there once and I was drunk and regret it. I never understand the 2 hour long wait for that food.

andyfox
05-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Definitely worth trying in that it's not a "big deal" type of place. I had sashimi and noodles the first time, both good, and the black cod the second time, which was great. My wife had since gone back for lunch and said her girfriends raved about the burgers and a bento box dessert tray.

Los Feliz Slim
05-03-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's with out-of-towners and Pinks? I live across the street from this place and I've eaten there once and I was drunk and regret it. I never understand the 2 hour long wait for that food.

[/ QUOTE ]

OF COURSE you were drunk when you ate there, otherwise you would have had the sense to leave. That place is disgusting.

Six_of_One
05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For a cheaper alternative, I am strongly looking at going to Sasabune on Sawtelle. I have always wanted to try that place and the reviews are nothing but positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to Sasabune a few times, and enjoyed it. Last time I think it cost $180 for 2 of us. Another alternative is Echigo, on Santa Monica Blvd. I find the quality to be about equal to Sasabune, but it's a bit cheaper, and much less crowded. At Sasabune, reservations are recommended, but there's never a wait at Echigo.

Both places are Omakase only at the bar (the only way to go, IMO), but you can order a la carte at the tables if you'd like.

Six_of_One
05-03-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eating at Pink's is just short of a religious experience. Of course you're going to regret it after -- no one can suck down that much greasy chili without ending up feeling sick. You'll also regret it before, because as you pointed out, the line is terrible. But, for 5 glorious minutes while you're stuffing your face, it all seems worthwhile.

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The food at Pink's does not come close to justifying the always-long line. It's an average hot dog and a heart attack waiting to happen. Top Dog in Berkeley rules! In-N-Out is still one of my favorite burger joints, I still eat it a few times a month.

DN

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely worth trying in that it's not a "big deal" type of place. I had sashimi and noodles the first time, both good, and the black cod the second time, which was great. My wife had since gone back for lunch and said her girfriends raved about the burgers and a bento box dessert tray.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much does lunch cost there? I work pretty near there and would like to try to convince my coworkers to try it(they don't like spending over $10 for lunch).

DN

DeezNuts
05-03-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been to Sasabune a few times, and enjoyed it. Last time I think it cost $180 for 2 of us. Another alternative is Echigo, on Santa Monica Blvd. I find the quality to be about equal to Sasabune, but it's a bit cheaper, and much less crowded. At Sasabune, reservations are recommended, but there's never a wait at Echigo.

Both places are Omakase only at the bar (the only way to go, IMO), but you can order a la carte at the tables if you'd like.

[/ QUOTE ]

For one of the nights that my friend is in town, I think we will go to Echigo and have Omakase at the bar. Will let you know what I think, it sounds great.

DN

andyfox
05-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Don't remember the prices other than that it was reasonable compared with L.A. high-altitude restaurants. But I doubt think you can get away with $10. $20 would probably be more like it.