PDA

View Full Version : JJ, re-raised by the big stack

chopchoi
05-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Pokerroom SNG (1500 starting chips), Level 1.

A hand earlier, 5 players went all-in, and the player to my right took the pot with AKo. So now the table has 5 players with about 1,500 each, and one with 7,500.

I get JJ in mid position, and Big stack raises to 100. I re-raise to 350, and she raises 1,200 more. Ordinarily, I fold JJ when I come over the top and someone plays back, but here I wasn't so sure folding was the right play.

I figured she was probably just having a little fun being a bully with her newly acquired stack. At the same time, however, I thought that jj was a very vulnerable hand, and thatI might do better to wait and hit a flop, or catch aces or kings, before putting all my chips in the middle.

What was the right play?

kyro
05-03-2005, 01:27 PM
I probably would have just called the initial raise and play the flop from there

EverettKings
05-03-2005, 02:15 PM
I doubt the big stack is just "having fun" as a bully; when he reraises like that, you're probably smoked.

Though I agree with the previous poster that early on, it's best to just call and take a flop. By making that big reraise, you will either win 100 chips right there, be put at a decision preflop for all your chips (bad news), or be called and face a flop with 1150 chips in a 700 chip pot (where you have very little bet flexibility). You also give away a great deal of information about your hand while gaining very little about his.

Compare that with calling, where you will see a flop in position with 1400 chips in a 200 chip pot, and can evaluate the board and his bets (i.e. get a lot more information) before you decide where to take it. He has no clue what you have, though you can 'watch and see' with him. This just seems much more appealing to me.

-Kings

JoshuaMayes
05-03-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A hand earlier, 5 players went all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this, by any chance, a play money table?

callmedonnie
05-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Five handed JJ is a great hand. I am not exactly sure how the hand went, but playing AKo in a five handed all in pot might be a bit loose. It depends on how the hand develops.

If the player is loose the reraise is fine, and all in is too. The reraise was so strong that the message is that she is fine going all in. Has this happened before? What did she have? Five handed waiting for Aces or Kings might not happen. It might be time to push, especially if the blinds are moving up and your stack isn't.

Matt Walker
05-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I agree, I don't like the reraise here with JJ given the current blind levels. Calling preflop is much preferred.

Given that you did raise, fold to the large reraise.

billyb
05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
I would have pushed there Since I would put her on trying to bully with her stack.

If she has me beat so be it but I am taking my shot right there.

peace
wwonka

chopchoi
05-03-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A hand earlier, 5 players went all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this, by any chance, a play money table?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, lol, it was $11. I might have played 2 dozen SNG's this week, between pokerroom and pokerstars, and this is the second hand like this I have seen.

chopchoi
05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people who say I should have just called. To me it seems like a clear re-raise or fold situation. What is to be gained from calling, other than a chance to hit a set for cheap?

Once the flop comes, she is going to come out betting no matter what, and I am going to have to fold if there is a single overcard. If the flop has no overcards, I am going to re-raise her, except now I won't be able to get away from the hand if she plays back with QQ-AA. I think a re-raise is much better. Gives me a chance to take control of the hand if she doesn't have much, and to find out where I am before I get myself pot-committed if she does have something.